Almost $20,000 to apply this year, getting out of hand!

flyingbrass

It cost $19281 for me to apply for what I wanted to hunt this year. This doesn't include any raffle tickets! I honestly thought it was about $12K and then I added Idaho this year but was suprised when I added it all up. Anyone care to admit what they had to put out?
flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

HOLY ****!!!! I have maybe $1600.00 or so I've put up for me and my boy, and some for my buddy. I really only apply for a couple out of state deer tags though. Only so much time.
Sounds like you apply for everything in every state?? Is that just your own personal applications?

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

only mine! I did buy my son a deer PP in Colorado but didn't include that. Also, I didn't include the license I bought to turkey hunt in Kansas or the cost to go to Iowa for deer since none of that is western game. It would have been more this year but I drew my OIL oryx in NM so I don't have that expense to front.
This total is more money than my parents paid for their first house!

flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

What are you going to do if you just "draw" half of the places you put in for this year? Good luck on the draws and take lots of pictures.

Brian

xvvgp.jpg

LAST EDITED ON May-21-10 AT 10:40AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-21-10 AT 10:14?AM (MST)

Fuzzy math but............Most draws are 1% and I put in for about 30 or so. I figure my odds are only about 30% to draw anything at all and I drew a general elk tag in WY so luck is all used up. Fuzzy math for sure but you can figure odds to yo get sick. I can get off work no problem. I'll just use what is left of the $20K in refunds to front the cost of the hunts. Surely I can't draw more than 3. Lots of the cash is in long shot sheep hunt so no complaining if I draw 2 of those.
flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

AZ - License $151, elk 575, antelope 230, deer 230, sheep 1600
UT - License $65, deer 570, moose 1600
NM - Ibex 1600
MT - Deer $300, Sheep 750, goat 750
ID - Res. Sportsmans License 120, deer/elk/antelope 20
OR - Guided blacktail - license $140, deer 375, guide 2900
WY - deer $330, antelope 300

Total - $12,600

Disclaimer: These are rounded or approx. numbers, cause I don't have time to look them all up. Several areapplication fees only, unless you draw. Unluckily for me, most all of them have been unsuccessful, but I do have Oregon and an AZ elk tag to look forward to!!!!!!!!!

Yea it gets expensive putting in for every species in all western states,as we speak i have 5 credit cards maxed out owing 24,000 each year for the last 5 years,and im yet to draw one single tag besides my home state utah archery elk.Its gettin to be more expensive every year,but eventually i hope i will start drawing out of state since i put in for,wy,az,id,nv,ut,mt,wa,or,co.i only put in for the good to great tags but atleast im making my odds a little better.And some people dont dare to even put in out of state,cause they think they will draw everything,,HA HA!!!!!see ya kelly

Wow that is unbelievable. flyingbrass can you provide a breakdown I would very interested to see how or why that is costing that much. I know there are a few states that make you pay up front for tags but 20 freakn k. Wow!

JR

I use to play to the tune of about 5,000$ every application season, but now that my kids need college money Ive cut way back. I even alternate states every other year.When I finaly came to the conclusion I would probably die with most of my sheep points it was actually easy to start cutting back.Sometimes you just cant keep up with the Jones. Good luck to those that can. BH1

are you freakin kidding me!!!!! why dont you just buy a auction tag or cwmu tags in utah you could hunt every year and be much much cheaper. you guys are nuts 20000 just to apply thats insane!!!

Keep in mind guys most of that money is coming back as the states require tag fees up front.Nonrefundable licenses and app fees run about $1500-2000 annually depending on # of states and species.

WTF...You guys are NUTZ!!! Actually, I am jealous...I wish I had $20k to blow on hunts.

It would be great if you drew almost all of them and had one hell of a year....That would be the stuff of legends!! Imagine those stories that would be passed on for generations in your family or just on MM.

For me (as follows):

Combo Hunting/Fishing License = $30
App Processing Fees = $20
Archery Buck Deer = $35
Moose Bonus Point = $10
Turkey = $35
Bear (App Fee)= $10
Archery Elk = $45
Antlerless Elk (If Draw) = $45
Antlerless Deer (If Draw) = $25

All this 2x (I pay for my father's apps too) = $510. Next year will be my first time to apply out of state, so maybe I'm on my way to $20k....NOT!! LOL

?-ERock-> ?

I'll echo what cbeard said. Not that much every year. If you draw a primo tag, back off on the following apps.

Like I said above; some states only charge for the tag if you draw. Play smart and you can roll some of the refunded money back over onto the next applications, if the timing is right. Get a low interest credit card with a small limit (from DU or MDF, to support them) and just use it for your apps; then when the refund comes back, put it on the card immediately!

If I really was gonna spend that much total, it would be on an SFW auction tag at a banquet in Utah. :)

13 grand here for about twenty hunts. Been at it for about 20 years and it is really starting to pay off. Some years no hunts like last year. This year drew Colo. Sheep and Az. Antelope. Have drawn Az. Strip Deer twice, Az. Elk archery and Muzzle once each. The Deer tags drawn so far have allowed three 200" class bucks and will probably draw a Henry Mtns. Deer tag next few years plus Wyo. Sheep. It only recently (last few years) started costing so much up front. Starting now is a different story though. It will take more money and more time and things seem to be changing much faster as far as rules of the game. Good luck everone and keep putting in for those hunts you really want.

About $12,500 this year. If you start applying for sheep, moose, goat, etc as a non-ressy it adds up FAST.

I guess if you have an extra $20,000 sitting around you could send me a check instead of the government. Seriously I spend like $450 this year on applications and it was my first time applying out of state. I hope to apply more later on in life when I get settled in a little better financially. Archery tags don't take to long to get in the draws and some great hunts are available over the counter. Good luck to all you guys on this years hunts.

Apply for about 50 hunts as nonresident and odds are as bad as 1:4000 and at best are about 1:8.

Cumulative odds say I should draw about 2 tags a year as nonresident. Only drew 1 tag the first 5 years but now draw 2 - 4 tags most years as builts up point levels.

Have over $20,000 out at one time for a few weeks each year. WY, AZ, MT, CO and NM suck up a lot of cash. When dust settles am out around $1200 if draw nothing.

If I spread the $1200 over the hunts I draw then works out to about $500 a tag drawn to be in the application game. Is worth it for me to draw hunts where typically is a quality hunt with minimal hunting pressure.

A famous CAT once counseled me: "Never ever ever ever add up
your hunting expenses". I didn't then and am not about to start!!

LAST EDITED ON May-21-10 AT 09:48PM (MST)[p]Outdoors,
you have a good feel for the western tag game, I agree with all that you posted.
Also, since the almost $20K is only gone a couple months a year I just put the money back until next year. I call it my "kid-nappin and shake down money". I borrowed this term from the "Goodfellas" movie as used by character Henry Hill. I still got savings but this is the extra gun trading and swapping money for man stuff. Now on the off chance I draw a tag I just borrow $4k from this pile to hire an outfitter and I got about 10 months to rathole back the $4K.

flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

Started with Alaska sheep in December and had $20,197.25 out of pocket applying for a combination of 22 different tags and bonus points. So far I have received $9917.50 in refunds and have drawn one tag, an AZ Archery Elk. It's not likely I will draw another tag as most everything else is < 3-4% odds.
Things changed this year because I added Idaho and New Mexico started taking fees up front which was +$4400.

Actually with the way the market tanked the past month I probably came out ahead by letting these states borrow my funds for awhile. :/

I do it on a whole lot less by staying outta Idaho most years, only applying for sheep in NV, ORE and UT where you don't front the $$$, but odds are longer.

My problem is I'm in 5-7 states myself every year, wife in 4, son in 3 and step son in 3. The Colorado elk draw cost me $2,320.00 as all 4 of us drew.

And they are takin up most of the huntin season with their tags. I'm archery huntin elk in Colorado and they have 1st rifle tags. Basically I'll be huntin from Sept16-Oct 20. Only hunt I have a tag in is the Co. archery elk. Between my Dad's LE UT tag and their hunt, 3 of the five weeks will be someone elses tag. I love every minute though.

I cut way back this year as they didn't get PPs for deer in Colorado, and no Oregon for any of us although I have 34 total points there and they have a bunch too. I regret my Oregon decision already but if many did as I did, they'll lose revenue and change something, either lower the price or more NR tags (NOT)

Good luck in the remaining draws for those that play.

wow so you guys actually get nailed for 20000k and after all refunds you are in about 1200-1500 bucks? and usually draw a tag? wish i had the finances to do that but wont happen maybe someday!

why do the states make you pay up fronty? see,s like a lot more work for them to have to refund! why not do it like utah only charge if you draw? makes more sense

Because anti hunters would draw the tags and not pay for them/not use them!
flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

well utah charges your card immediatley when you draw you are charged before you even know you draw so how could the anti not pay?

I understand paying upfront as way to make sure the State gets paid if a tag is awarded but...in CO you prepay for sheep/goat/moose even during the first 3 years you apply when you are drawing dead. Would be nice to have "point only" option until are really in the drawing.

They require you to pay up front so they can draw interest on your $$$ for 3-4 months. Why else would they do it?

It's not as much money today but years ago it was.

i need a new freakin job if you guys are spending that much on hunts. damn im way behind. but its an obsession that i cant get enough of.

"Shoot Strait"

I don't believe its even legal for them to make interest off of the money being held cbeard..old myth.

>I don't believe its even legal
>for them to make interest
>off of the money being
>held cbeard..old myth.

Agreed, I do not believe its true. I do not believe they are allowed to make interest. Its more of a convenience issue IMO. By doing this, they would not have to spend the time contacting drawn hunters and have them make sure their finances are in order or making sure they have a valid card.

I think a lot of people are not understanding the whole "$20K" in apps funds. This is fronted money only. And, some of it is already returned before other apps are due.

As a previous poster said, its more like $1000-$1500 of out of pocket fees for tags and apps.

Of course its all risk, but it can sure pay off. Overall, I have more than received my moneys worth.

It cost me about $7000 this year to apply, and I dont even apply for any sheep hunts. Wish I had more moeny available to apply for more tags/states. Also wish I would have gotten in the points game sooner.

I am from the camp where I do not add it all up. I have a "hunting only account" and have grown it up to the point where it covers all the fees of applying and when I don't draw the refund goes right back in but I do have to keep it supplemented for fees that are not returned. After seeing what some of my co-workers have lost from their 401Ks in the last couple of years and seeing my dad die at 60, I'm going hunting! Landowner tags can be cheaper (often much) than the draws/raffles etc. I have been putting my son in for years too. I hope that I am still alive when he gets to go on some great hunts to hear all about it. You're not gonna hunt if you don't put in!

I have not added it up but i'm sure it's alot.I have a seperate checking account and C.C. for my hunting.I have 6 states i apply for every year Ca,Az,NV,UT,CO and Wy.Depending on how the draws look for the year i may and have applied for N.M MT.I keep the costs down by skipping OR, Id and usually apply for Elk Deer and Antelope only( alothough i put in for sheep in Cali ).It seems to be working pretty good as i usually draw atleast 1 good tag a year.

wow You guys are hardcore!! I thought I was doing pretty good with 3,500, looks like I got a lot of catching up to do.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom