Another Grizzly fatality - Montana

This is a tragedy....they should put fences all around campgrounds in bear areas. I don't like how biologists say that this is not "normal bear activity" as they are wild animals. In my mind, wild animals is synonymous with unpredictable.
Don't go in the ocean if you want to guarantee you won't have a negative confrontation with a great white shark.

Tragedy for sure. No need to chase down and kill the bear. Enough blood has been shed already.

We will chase down and kill a bear for not knowing it’s wrong to kill humans but if human kills one another we provide housing and meals for 30 years.

With the number of humans running around and the rarity of a bear attack it shows the respect bears have for humans. We encroach on their space, develop their homes and hunt them for no reason but to make a rug. It’s a shame. ☮️ ❤️ ?

Last edited:
little surprised no ones said “ that’s why we need to be able to hunt them, put the fear of man in them”. ????. That’s always a good one. Doesn’t make any sense but funny as hell.

praying tonight to god the bear gets away #blm

I've always wondered the thought process of those who do not want to remove animals when humans are killed. I assume those folks do not got into grizzly country, to avoid possible confrontations? Or, if they do go into grizzly country, they take the risk that if confronted they will not use lethal force to protect themselves? They roll the dice on becoming lunch, and happily accept their fate?

I suppose there is always the jingle bells and pepper spray defense approach :)

1625661730711.png

I don't want to be mis-quoted.....if I am EVER in grizzly country and am even slightly confronted, there will be dead bears everywhere. LOL. My deal is that if you are not prepared to defend yourself, there may be consequences that may not fall your way.

I don't want to be mis-quoted.....if I am EVER in grizzly country and am even slightly confronted, there will be dead bears everywhere. LOL. My deal is that if you are not prepared to defend yourself, there may be consequences that may not fall your way.
I totally get that. I think the reason they go after the bear that ate some poor soul is that the particular animal has now learned that humans are lunch, and thus have a much greater chance of doing it again. Contrary to popular belief, a good percentage of grizzlies (at least in Wyoming) seem to avoid people when possible, and do not consider them food sources. My family has encountered several of them over the years, and all of them ran away.

My father in law asked me if I thought 4 UFC fighters could take down a grizzly. I said no, but that would be an interesting cage match.

There probably isn’t a bigger rush then a charging Bear, I don’t think they should kill them just because it killed someone.

Depends. Some bears have a history of trouble. Not their fault, I understand that. I also think any bear that feeds on a human has to go no matter what. mtmuley
There is no evidence that a bear will continue to attack humans once they have the "taste" for it, per SS!

:rolleyes:

Edit: forgot to insert the eyeroll earlier on. Now SS! thinks I agree with him...

Last edited:
My Bad- Thought Doc's was another incident..... but we can expect more anyway...Increase in bear populations= Increase in Incidents......

They want Bears and Wolves everywhere, then they want to kill them for being themselves, there has been a handful of attacks since the first of the year. On the 4th of July weekend in Chicago 2021 there were 104 people shot, 19 of them died and 13 kids were wounded, why don’t they tackle a real problem. I’m getting sick of all these city folk moving to Idaho because their afraid of where they live. Leave the poor Bear alone.

There is no evidence that a bear will continue to attack humans once they have the "taste" for it, per SS!

Edit: forgot to insert the eyeroll earlier on. Now SS! thinks I agree with him...
Just my feelings. I knew you weren't agreeing with him. If a bear eats a person, it needs to go. So do habituated bears, and this one obviously was. Ovando ain't big, but bears don't hang out in town. mtmuley

Yeah, not with you on this SS. These effers, proven killers, need to be 100% killed when they kill humans.
I respect your opinion. But when there's negligence on the humans part I have to disagree. I'm not saying there is in this case btw, not really many details in that story.

We have brown bears (and black bears) that live here in town. Not wandering in, actually live here. My kids (both under 10) go out and play in the woods behind the house. I do not know any parents here that worry about the bears. Last week a dumbass shot a sow and 2 cubs grizz that were in his yard at 4am. Luckily he may be facing charges. One of the cubs is still out there wounded.

I've noticed a few things when I see negative opinions of grizzly/brown bears. 1) Its usually from someone with little experience being around them 2) Its because they are afraid of them. I get it. Just not my opinion or the opinion of many people up here.

I saw a brown bear cross the road in front of me a couple weeks back. We have quite a few creeks that run through town that have salmon in them. Pretty wild to know a city this large and bears sleep in town. A friend had one kill a and bury a moose calf under his deck last year. He didn't shoot it or call it in. It moved on after he consumed all the calf (about 3 to 4 days). He just didn't go in his backyard during that time.

Carry on.

#blm

I’m sure you have vast experience with grizzly bears. ?

I teach hunter ed and I tell all my students-wild animals boogie when they see you. And you've probably never even realized how many have buggered when they smell you!

However, being Kali, I get asked by the younger student about lions. I tell them that if they ever get into a situation where they need to protect themselves or someone else (I give some obvious scenarios) and provide my first hand experiences, I tell them to always make it home. Rare as it may be, make it home any way you have to.

If you get into a jackpot, get to safety, call the gamey and be prepared to explain. Evidence and your story will bear you out (no pun intended) or you'll be in a legal tangle.

The alternative? That same gamey doing the same type of forensic work trying to figure out why your partially consumed corpse got that way and you were armed on a hunting trip.

I don't dwell, but I make a point that even protected animals like a lion will get smoked if need be.

Grizzly? ****, in a heartbeat if it came to it.

I shot a 700# grizzly in....in my tent in Alaska....I did give him a warning shot.....didn't work. He made me nervous...

I'll try to find a picture
Please do! Were you able to keep the hide? I would love to hear the story if you have time.

It's just me probably but I don't see what this big fascination with bears is. People act like they're some kind of special animal to be in awe of and protected at all cost. To me they're just like a big pig. Except a pig is more intelligent. They just go around looking for something to eat and they really don't care what it is or how rotten it is. I just don't see where they contribute that much.

I've never shot one nor will I ever have the desire to unless I have to. They're just a big pain in the butt.

I give them a pass too. I just don't care if they live or die. Nobody eats them, unless they're kind of weird.
I have some grizzly bear bacon that would change your mind. Unless you don’t like bacon? It is CA do anything is possible ?

Well congrats to the MT game DEPT. Boom. Ordeal over. Maybe we should outlaw night vision. Ding dong the wicked Grizz is dead!

I still like to hunt them every year, but don't eat a lot of bear anymore. It's a lot like strong, greasy pork. I don't like to cook my meat well done, and the couple friends I have who got trichinosis from theirs convinced me you don't want it. A friend in Swan Valley brines and smokes his and makes corned bear, which is really good tho.

A friend shot a black bear about 10 years ago that had been eating acorns for awhile. He gave me a roast and it had a lot of white fat in it. Probably about as good as bear meat can get.

I tried a piece of it when I killed my AZ bear in the 1960s. I would have much preferred an old boot. Fortunately, my grandfather would eat anything, so it didn't go to waste. He would cook it in his spagetti sauce.

The outfitter I hunted with in BC for all my other ones would drag the carcasses to a field near his airstrip about 1/2 mile from the lodge to use as wolf bait. I spent a few hours one evening watching one to no avail, but that was it. I get no enjoyment from hunting anything like that -- even wolves.

The best thing from a dead bear is the lard to waterproof your boots. Cougar, coon, rattlesnake, opossum and grasshoppers taste way better than a sweet greasy bear chop.

I haven’t lived next to wolves, I don’t want to.

Haven’t lived next to poisonous snakes, don’t want to,

Haven’t lived next to alligators, don’t want to.

Haven’t lived next to cougars, don’t want to.

Haven’t lived next to scorpions, don’t want to.

Haven’t lived next to poisonous spiders, don’t want to.

Haven’t lived next to bears, don’t want to.

Yes, they scare me.

I’m a gambler, I “always” want the odds in my favor. Regardless of how many times you win, in your encounters with predators, be they human or otherwise, if you challenge the odds, often enough, you’ll roll a seven.

It would be interesting to know, of all the people that have been killed by apex predators, how many have rolled the dice and won, right up until they didn’t.

We all get to play our odds, on the street, sidewalk, classroom, boardroom, or else where. You choose your odds and I’ll choose mine. I suspect, we’ll all eventually get what we have coming.

Kinda like why I enjoy living in Idaho - we don't have hurricanes or tornadoes here, poisonous snakes everywhere, fire ants, huge spiders, and the mosquitos are bearable, no excessive rain or humidity, and traffic is still OK (for the most part). Don't like the snow in winter? Sit back in your recliner and turn up the heat!!! Hire a 12 yr old to shovel.

Say that a little louder Blank!

Maybe some of these Cali-tahns will move your way so the rest of us Utards can breathe again!

Maybe some of these Cali-tahns will move your way so the rest of us Utards can breathe again!
There’s already more in Idaho than there needs to be. We’ve gotten more than our share. Utah has plenty of winter range they can build there giant unnecessary gaudy homes on that only 2 people live in part time.

There’s already more in Idaho than there needs to be. We’ve gotten more than our share. Utah has plenty of winter range they can build there giant unnecessary gaudy homes on that only 2 people live in part time.
Giant homes, gaudy or not, with 2 part time residents is better than two bed room homes, with 9 kids and one part time adult. I’ll take the giant home, thank you. ?

California is a good place to get rich and you need to be rich to live comfortably here. After they got rich and trashed the place, they decided to take their money and live someplace less expensive and less trashed. They don't really need to, but they're greedy. So they move somewhere else and suck up all the resources and trash the new spot. :) Kalifornicators.

You guys have lots of Californians moving to Utah? I would say most move to Idaho, Texas and Montana.....not many I hear moving to Utah.

We drive through St George every year and it always amazes me how much expansion there is from year to year. Maybe it is the Californians.....we've been know to wreck things pretty good.

More than you know!

My bro-in-law put his house up for sale last week for 450K.

8 groups wanted to look at it same day it went on market.

3 offers all from Calitardia ALL over asking price.

largest offer was 500K cash.

what the heck is wrong with Cali people?!

I though black bear lives mattered (BLM) too?

Maybe someone with strong feelings on the matter should start a protest with all the media coverage of Grizzlies?

In 2020 there were 5 people killed by bears in the United States. Lightning killed 17.

Out of those 17 killed by lightning 15 had tin foil hats on and thought this country had a bear problem. Oh the irony.
I see what you mean, but there has been three deaths in Montana already this year I believe. And it's not even bow season yet. mtmuley

In 2020 there were 5 people killed by bears in the United States. Lightning killed 17.

Out of those 17 killed by lightning 15 had tin foil hats on and thought this country had a bear problem. Oh the irony.
We can't do much about the lightning and lightning brings the promise of rain which is essential to life on earth. Remind me what contribution Grizzly bears bring.

Hey, hey, hey....... I was thinking I was Karen........ and now you.......

Maybe only boomers can be Karen?

This consistant redefining how words and terms are defined is just so confusing. I’m confused a lot of these days.

It’s just hard for old snowflakes.

More than you know!

My bro-in-law put his house up for sale last week for 450K.

8 groups wanted to look at it same day it went on market.

3 offers all from Calitardia ALL over asking price.

largest offer was 500K cash.

what the heck is wrong with Cali people?!

We have the same issue. Drove our proptery taxes up. Then when they move in they get all butt hurt that our signs say HUNT, HUNT, HUNT,HUNT, DRILL,DRILL,DRILL ,DRILL,TRAP,TRAP,TRAP,TRAP.
Also offended by dont california our wyoming

We can't do much about the lightning and lightning brings the promise of rain which is essential to life on earth. Remind me what contribution Grizzly bears bring.
Think of all the people that have died from lightning caused fires. Lightning is the silent killer. You know, after the strike. The problem is it just doesn’t create the buzz and shock of a bear attack story.

A big boar grizzly helps keep the population in check. He kills a lot of cubs both black and brown. Grizzlies help keep people out of the woods. How is that a bad thing? I honestly don’t have the time to list all the benefits of grizzlies and no one who truly cares about the forest would ask such a question flatbrimmer ?

Look at how many people die a year from bees:
720112AA-567B-46E6-9003-74BA0D23BEC2.jpeg

After someone dies from a bee sting do we chase down the bee hive responsible? Why have bees? When you see a bee SHOOT. SHOVEL SHUT UP! SSS!

Look at how many people die a year from bees:View attachment 45894
After someone dies from a bee sting do we chase down the bee hive responsible? Why have bees? When you see a bee SHOOT. SHOVEL SHUT UP! SSS!
Women must think bees like to be pet.....every year more woman than men. That is not a coincidence.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom