Back problems

tradarcher

How many have had problems. What have you done. Herniated discs. Bulged discs. Just looking for opinions. Sure I'm just a pansy but what have you done?talked to two surgeons but not ready to do that at my age.

I had two fusions in my neck 17 years ago, worked great and I have done very well since. Three years ago after years of lower back pain that got so bad I had to quit playing golf and was in really bad pain, I had an MRI that showed a budging disc and very bad stenosis on two levels. The doctor did a laminectomy on L4-5. The surgery not only worked well but I was on a deer hunt in Nevada 60 days later. Don't wait too long to do something.

I know one thing I couldn't live with the pain and got an operation on that disc (1994)and came out pretty good shape ,I use my Brain and not my back.

I think what bessy's sayin is just put yer purse on yer other shoulder half the time! :eek:

Seriously I think I paid for my chiropractors 2nd home!

What I've learned is that everyones pain and results will differ in regards to remedies to back pain. My bro in law had multiple back surgeries...none worked. He found himself addicted to pain meds and ended up melting a pain patch and shooting it into his arm. Died 2 days later. Manage your pain the best you can and know that surgeries may not ever fix you. I'm sorry for your situation. Backs, knees and ankles will never be the same once you compromise them a first time.

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

I played Football, Basketball, and Baseball but as a Freshmen in High School, i was also our best high jumper in track. One day warming up with the bar set low, i was distracted by some Coaches talking about me during my approach. Too full of energy, i way cleared the bar, way cleared the pit bags on the other side, and landed with head and feet in the air solidly on my lower back to bare ground. That was the first injury.

Fast forward about 7 years, as a inside Linebacker for U of Arizona, during full go practice under a filming tower, i met and stopped a big Fullback head on at the line of scrimmage. The collision was a good one, the tackle remarked on, but i walked away from that hit with a tweek in my back. The next morning i couldn't walk, took about 10 days to recover. Second injury.

Fast forward about 14 years, Used to picking up heavy stuff all my life and thinking nothing of it, i tried to load a garbage can full if scrap metal that weighed several hundred pounds. I don't think it was the weight but the technique that got me. I was off work over a month with that one, number 3

By his time, my firewood business was well under way. No round was too heavy for me to load by myself and i seemed to never have any real pain but there were times when i knew i wasn't just right.

Fast forward to a couple years ago to present. My back never really stops hurting. I have really bad times that i can't sleep, when better can only walk 100 yards or so before my back gives out, and if standing, it can't be for very long. The Drs. say no surgery for me but are quick with the heavy duty pain meds. I know that i need to get in better shape as that would help but the diets seems like i'm constantly on, just don't help much and at my age and the way i feel, working out seems out of the question.

So, i don't ever take the pills, unless i really need to, and i live with the constant pain and reduced mobility. My body is just flat wearing out from hard use i guess, and remembering as i once was, it's not easy to accept.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I'm an old athlete too. Played football and baseball in HS and college. I've had three knee and three shoulder surgeries. My mom basically died from back pain. Took lots of time and several surgeries and lots of meds, but it finally got her. I think Wiszard has the right advice. From the friends I have, backs are different. If you can live through it without surgery, that's likely the best option.

My back "goes out" a few times each year. I take Advil or Aleve, and have a prescription I take very infrequently because I saw what happened to my mom after three or four surgeries, no success and too many doctors and meds.

Physical conditioning is also underrated. Get in shape and stay in shape. Get to the right weight and exercise routinely. When my back hurts, lots of walking often helps. I normally run and work out, but when my back hurts, I just walk a lot and it seems to loosen things up and help.

Best of luck with your back and your decision.

Years ago at the young age of 34 I had surgery for a herniated disk at L5/S1. At the time I could not get off the floor and walk without severe pain. Surgery was in March. In October I was in the South San Juan Wilderness elk hunting virtually pain free. I have never regretted that surgery. Good Luck.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-15-15 AT 01:16PM (MST)[p]It really depends on the nature of the injury. Except for a bulge toward the spinal column, there isn't much of a disc left between my L5 and sacrum. Between L4 and L5 is not much better. I have found that Olympic lifting and extra squat work has helped a lot both in terms of core strength and form. I lift a lot better now. That being said, there is a limit and I have to keep the back squats down to a reasonable amount or the compression will irritate it. See a PT first and then work into a workout that will strengthen the core and encourage good posture and form.

At some point, I may need a fusion (apparently I'm considered too old for artificial discs). We will see.

Thanks for all the responses everybody. I have five that need fixed and trying alternate things first. For those that have had surgery, did it limit your movement much? And sorry for those with the family members that had the pain pill problems. I've seen it to and it can tear a family apart.

Being thirty one years old and providing for three kids I need to be able to move still. I'm a mechanic at a power plant. Shoulda been a plumber I guess. It makes tough like bess.

I'm on the back side of 30 and have hardware all over my back and will eventually need more. I'm part human cyborg at this point. There are pros and cons both ways and the risk benefit ratio needs to be measured. There is also a lot, and I mean a lot of new technology in use today that is astounding depending on your issue, which disc it is, and the type and severity of the damage.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>Being thirty one years old and
>providing for three kids I
>need to be able to
>move still. I'm a mechanic
>at a power plant. Shoulda
>been a plumber I guess.
>It makes tough like bess.
>

Ya!

If want a Body that's Beat to Pieces then you could always say:"Shoulda been a Plumber"!:D

I'm Living & Dieing with the Choices
I've Made!

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/us
er_photos3/9001hank2.jpg

I just had back surgery in Jackson on Dec 2 and I feel great...they did a roto-rooter job on my two lowest vertebrae and removed a cyst and the hardest thing is trying not to lift anything over 15 pounds for six weeks..I'll be ready to chase Muleys for the next 20 years after I heal up HEHEHE...(The big 60 in 2016.)

I'd have to look at the report to say numbers but bottom three are herniated next two above bulged. Thanks for all the response. Sorry bess gotta give you hell thigh.

I had spine surgery , fustian and spine reamed for sciatica! I would do it again in a heart beat! I'm not cured but at least I can hunt! Back is still screwed up but sciatica is gone.

>Years ago at the young age
>of 34 I had surgery
>for a herniated disk at
>L5/S1. At the time
>I could not get off
>the floor and walk without
>severe pain. Surgery was
>in March. In October
>I was in the South
>San Juan Wilderness elk hunting
>virtually pain free. I
>have never regretted that surgery.
>Good Luck.

I had the same surgery 3 years ago, fought the nerve pain in my leg that was with me pretty much at all times for 6 months. Haven't had any nerve pain since, my back does occasionally get a little stiff or sore, but nothing a mild dose of advil won't fix.
2a0fcsk.gif

I had L5-S1 fused June 2014. I hunted back pack style hunts starting in late October. The doctor, in Boise, used plastic rods as he believes they bend when you fall instead of breaking. I had a fruit ladder 14 foot tall go out from under me this year. I broke a bone in my arm but my back was fine. It sure hit hard and I was sure I was going to be messed up. I had disc problems when I was younger then you and had a doctor teach me to stretch my back and it has made a huge difference in those areas of my back. The fusion was done because I broke a couple vertebrata. For me I put up with the pain as long as I could. Once I started sitting around on Saturday then I knew it was time to do something. I still hurt but not even as close to as much as I did before surgery.

DZ

.....since my cheap assed insurance company won't pay for someone to help me pee for 6 weeks.....I have to live with the pain.

I'm 38 and have had back problems since I first hurt myself doing dead lifts as a senior in high school. Both my parents have had back issues so I was probably destined for it regardless. I have three bulging discs. I've done a lot to alleviate the pain that comes and goes and the times it "goes out", but reached a point about 5 years ago where I was almost constantly in pain. Despite having always worked out (mostly lifting and cardio) and staying in decent shape, I couldn't get out of the funk. There were times my wife would have to put my socks and shoes on for me. I finally had enough and decided to try some different stuff. I first started doing some of the stretches and training outlined by Dr. Eric Goodman and found despite my constant exercise, I had some major core muscle weakness and imbalance. This training helped but wasn't a total fix so I expanded to other trainings including plyometrics and some "unmanly" things in the rotation like Pilates and yoga.......who the hell would of thought I'd ever do Yoga! I'm now on a two year stretch (no pun intended) of the best I've felt since I was 17. I've lost about 10 pounds and weigh what I did in high school and feel fantastic. I know my solution won't work for everyone......but using methods to strengthen anterior and posterior core muscles that most guy's guys would scoff at will work wonders for some of you. Loosen those hamstrings!!!

RE: Back is problems

I have had back problems off and on for 35 years. Last year I started working out on stair master and doing light crunches along with light dumbell exercises. For some reason I have gone a year now with zero problems.

RE: Back is problems

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-16 AT 10:09PM (MST)[p]I have had back problems for 13yrs. My MRI showed forminal stenosis. I'm in constant pain and right now can't do anything. It goes out 1 or 2 times a year and when it does I'm in bed for 4 days. I can't even walk when that happens and can only crawl. I've tried physical therapy and he doesn't help in fact I think it makes it worse. I have been going to spinal intervention and having radio frequency done once a year, it helps for about 8 months. However it is never pain free. Seen a Nero Surgeon about 8 months ago and he told me I needed a fusion L5 S1 but to hold off as long as I could. I'm to the point where I don't know what the hell to do. I hear horror stories of fusion. I can't lift anything. I have had it. Sick of pain and feeling like #####.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom