Burning 24/23 preference points on units with leftover tags ????

brutus54

I’ve noticed every year this happens. People are burning a lot of preference points on units that have leftover tags. I mean they could have draw the tag on their third choice and not waste preference points. And by no means is this criticizing anybody. I’m just curious what the circumstances are to make somebody want to do that. Health reasons, not understanding the draw system, mistake. Here’s two examples a resident with 24 points and a non-resident with 23 points. It doesn’t matter what species or the unit. I’m just trying to make a point here and both of them had leftover tags after the draw. ?

90CDABA7-28B7-446A-BFAC-C11D37D431B3.jpeg

6ABE1AA7-172B-4CF6-9217-620CACB6829F.jpeg

I noticed last year DM111O1R. It is a zero point unit, all private. That (1) resident used 28 points. I grabbed a reissue the week before the season. They must have realized their mistake.

I think that they just forgot to en the preference point code first. I‘m sure that they must have turned the tag back in, if not it’s their loss.

I noticed this years ago and it happens regularly in lots of units. Other reasons might be they decided to hunt when they could go with a friend, fed up with the point game and don't want to put in the time and effort to learn a new unit, health issues, don't understand the system or stats or haven't looked at stats, etc. If they made a mistake, they could get points back and pay the lisc. fee which for a non-resident, that'd be a painful mistake.

But in the example mentioned, they could have drawn as a second choice and still got a point. Has to have been a mistake. Putting in the wrong code by flipping a number is most likely the reason.

But in the example mentioned, they could have drawn as a second choice and still got a point. Has to have been a mistake. Putting in the wrong code by flipping a number is most likely the reason.
Or they were tired of buying NR points, or they may be older and it's their last hunt, or??? Or a mistake. There's just too many that I've seen that would make me think they've been applying for 20+ years so they likely know the process. Who knows, but it sure seems crazy to me to see this so frequently.

It makes me think. how many people are caught up in points and not even thinking about hunting? So many people think that more points equal a better story to their friends. How they waited 20+ years for the perfect tag.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom