Can you hunt deer same way you hunt elk?

Solid18

so just wondering if you can hunt deer same way you hunt elk. Talking about rifle hunt. I don't have a bow yet so I haven't started learning any of that. I have seen way more elk then deer so are deer that elusive? Everything I've read and watch says you can but doesn't really narrow it down. What would you do in deer hunting that you wouldn't do elk hunting?

Yep, they both have extremely good eyes, ears, and noses. Keep wind in mind, don't skyline yourself on the horizon, etc. I hunt open country elk so hunt deer/elk similarly. Elk bugle during the rut so are a little easier to locate during the rut. It's possible to bugle/cow call elk. Timing of the deer rut is much later in the fall than elk so that would be another difference.

IMO , you do have to vary tactics , Deer are much easier to pattern than elk , elk move around a lot , deer if undisturbed can and will live in a much smaller area. If you find deer scouting, chances are they will be back in that area if not bothered. Where as if you turn up a bull he more than likely is moving on after a short stay. I also think deer tend to feed longer in the AM and PM , big bulls take their cows to bed at the crack of first light, where as you can catch bucks feeding till 10 or 11 am .

I also like to hunt elk over water , where as killing a big mature muley over water doesnt happen very often, they dont drink as much and are primarily nocturnal in their drinking habits.

I have found both deer and elk within 1 mile from May to November, or even year round depending on elevation.
I hunt mule deer and elk the same way during rifle seasons. Either sit and glass, or still hunting.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom