Coyote Bounty

watts

Just Called the fish & game office about the new bounty money
That may be available. I was told that there will be a select
group of hunters that will be able to collect on the $ 50.00
Bounty how do you guys fill about that. Knew there had to be a catch.

Who are the select Few? I'd like to be one of the select few.... what gives. I think that's a Joke.

"50 Bounty on Coyotes" Page 1 in Bold Headline, Page 50 article continued - to a "select" group of hunters.

Maybe they meant the select few members of monster muleys.

CS

select few?? whats that mean??? great and i was just gonna go buy some shotgun rounds and a brand new call.

probably sfw members only! sfw probably snuck something in there so they can recruit more sheeple to the cause!

sounds like you have to pay to get into a program to be eligiable for the higher bouty?

I did not get a chance to read everything just skimmed a few parts of the bill.

LOOKS Like they tricked us a bit?

that would be ok with me lol im a rancher.

I think you have to pay to be in a program... so thats gay

LAST EDITED ON Mar-20-12 AT 05:11PM (MST)[p]Might as well put it into heli gunning then. That sux at 50 a coyote I could actually afford to go call the little buggers every weekend. 20 a dog isnt cutting it but better than nothing I guess.

I think Tree is right. It has to be done in the right places to have the kind of value we need to help fawn survival.
Hope you can get in on it and get a bunch of those critters.

I agree with you all but let's give it a couple (or more) years to work before we complain. The State guys are actually listening to the deer hunters. That's a good thing!

I also suspect that yotes from every surrounding State would be brought in for the bounty if it was a wide open affair. I'm glad it's controlled so the coyote hunters can do the most good IN UTAH.

There's nothing preventing us from getting out there to do our part too! I've got my sights set on some really large coyote/dog hybrids.

Zeke

If it was open to everyone you would see ads in the classifieds selling coyote ears. BTW, I have a few pair I'd like to get rid of. LOL!!!

I would think the Fish and Game would be able to answer your question if you asked them.

Thanks Amy for the info. They have the money set up to start rolling in but no other info to where it goes, typical fish and game answers.This should of all been figured out ahead of time.

Really? Really? the dwr didn't push this, don p. did, and it was last minute dancing. the dwr will get things worked out soon...geeze

If I'm going to be paying out more on my licesnse for mandatory predator control, I want a chance to earn it back...

Very deceiving the way it was communicated out or hyped.

Anybody have a link to the Deseret News Paper or the Tribune when the press release was first sent out? Sounds like we are taking a few steps back after the communication.

A dead coyote anytime of the year is a good thing. They kill year round.

CS

Amy:

Thank you for the link.

The DWR/those parties responsible should have had everything aligned before this was even signed. Terrible communication.

A lot of rumor and hearsay(sp)
The biggest problem with an at large $50.00 bounty will be insuring that the money is going to coyotes killed in Utah.
I am sure that some of the money will be set aside for a bounty available to all for coyotes killed in Utah it would be nice if hunters could kill enough to use up this money every year.
Money will also be set aside for wildlife services and aerial gunning.
While some will be dedicated for removing coyotes in low fawn survival areas.

I contacted the DWR VIA email and asked how I could be become a SELECT HUNTER (only a select few may be given the priveledge of collecting 50.00 a coyote) I was given the following response:

"In the state of Utah , coyotes are not considered "protected" wildlife. Therefore, they can be hunted at any time without a license. Also, our agency does not place any restrictions on the spotlighting of coyotes. Individual county and city governments create their own laws on this practice. In order to inquire about these laws, contact the city or county in which you are interested in hunting.

The DWR does not offer a bounty for coyotes, however, individual county and city governments may. Since the coyote is not under our jurisdiction, we do not keep a list of which cities or counties may be offering bounties. You will need to contact these agencies individually.

Please keep in mind that this information is subject to change and may be updated at any time.
What predator-related legislation passed in 2012?
The Utah Legislature passed two predator-related bills in 2012. The first bill, Predator Control Funding (Senate Bill 87), adds a $5 fee to all Utah big game hunting permits. The money will fund a program to control populations of predatory animals that endanger the health of Utah's non-predatory wildlife.

The second bill, Mule Deer Protection Act (Senate Bill 245), allocates general funding to the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources ($500,000) and the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food ($250,000). The legislation directs our agencies to work together ? and with other government entities ? to administer programs that reduce and control coyote populations, particularly in areas where predation of mule deer occurs.

When did the new laws go into effect?
Governor Gary Herbert signed both bills into law on March 17, and the funding will be available on July 1, 2012.

When will the $5 fee be added to the cost of big game permits?
The $5 fee for predator control will be added to all big game permits, starting with the 2012 antlerless permits and any remaining big game permits sold after July 1, 2012.

How will the new predator-control program work?
We are working with sportsmen, the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food and USDA-Wildlife Services to coordinate and implement an effective predator-control program. Our goal is to develop a program that will target coyotes (and other predators) in the right places ? and at the right times of year ? to reduce the impact they have on mule deer populations. As soon as the program details are finalized, we will send out a news release and post the information on our website.

Do these new laws raise the coyote bounty to $50?
The laws themselves do not increase the bounties that counties pay for coyotes. The new predator-control program may include an increased bounty on coyotes, but details have not yet been finalized. For now, bounty amounts remain unchanged in counties that offer coyote-bounty programs."

Apparantly the cart is still in front of the horse and they havent figured out who will be allowed to collect the 50.00 bounty per coyote. Just a measure that keeps coyotes shot in other States from coming to utah for bounty collection is all I can figure. If they want full control of that I think they should put it all into aireal gunning. JMO.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom