CPAW Discussion Item for March 15-16 Meeting

I'm glad allocations are changing more favorable to residents you guys deserve it. I've been lucky enough to hunt your state before and I'm thankful for the opportunities and I'll keep trying to go back even if it's harder to get a tag

As someone who has been done chasing high point units, it is a step in the right direction. If they approve No OTC for NR. that would be another step in the right direction.
Ready to hear from all of the NR on how Colorado will go broke without them.

I feel it’s a slap in the face to residents to change the allocation from 80/20 for the high demand tags to 75/25!

Yeah, you guys deserve 90/10 on the HD units at least. The step back to 75/25 on HD units makes no sense.

Suppose they want consistency. 90/10 consistency on all units is what you should get.

And no OTC NR tags period, any tackle.

Would make better sense if you want to manage the herds to have no OTC for anyone. No mater what distribution is nothing is going to help point creep unless you go with banking or sharing with of which may be unpopular.

I like it. I would prefer 80/20 for every species and every hunt including MSG. I wish that would be adopted in every other state as well. It just seems like a fair split to me. I'll take 85/25 though. That's close enough for me.

In CO, nonresidents will still be getting way more than 25% of overall antlered tags due to otc tags, plo tags, ranching for wildlife, leftover tags, returned tags and landowner tags. I wish all of these could be 80/20 also.

You think Ranching for Wildlife is for residents only? The very few draw tags are but usually 90% of the antlered tags are sold by the ranches to mostly nonresidents leaving 10% to be drawn by residents only.

I think 75/25 would work IF they also made all elk tags limited only. Until they do that, it will continue to be a zoo. Even keeping residents OTC and just making NRs limited would be an improvement. Unless I just missed it, they completely ignore that option in their recommendations.

But I won’t hold my breath. Cause it’s not NRs saying you can’t make it without our money, it’s your CPW

They can say whatever they want about 75/25 across the board being “easier” but it’s really about money vs 80/20. In the computer age there is really no reason they can’t have 80/20 for HD units.

I say get what you can get but keep pressure on for limited elk licenses.

Last edited:
I just have a hard time believing CPAW is concerned about money after getting legislation passed to charge $29 for each vehicle license plate renewal (for a state park pass) starting in 2023. I guess people can opt out but most won't bother due to the complications. Some early numbers project revenue of $54 million/year. The funds are to improve state parks and pay for search and rescue but it's all one large pot of money. I agree that the amenities provided in state parks should be improved for the visitors but dang that's a lot of additional revenue to pay for stuff that is already being paid for in some manner (hunters?). In a few years this revenue should be result in a huge surplus as you can only paint an outhouse at at trailhead so many times. In my opinion, It appears that CPAW has become a money pig and it also appears that really do not have to use "loss of revenue" as a reason in making big game license allocation decisions.

I worry this will further diminish hunter influence which seems to be the trend. They will have all this money so why continue hunting, will be the point Polis appointed commissioners make.
I just have a hard time believing CPAW is concerned about money after getting legislation passed to charge $29 for each vehicle license plate renewal (for a state park pass) starting in 2023. I guess people can opt out but most won't bother due to the complications. Some early numbers project revenue of $54 million/year. The funds are to improve state parks and pay for search and rescue but it's all one large pot of money. I agree that the amenities provided in state parks should be improved for the visitors but dang that's a lot of additional revenue to pay for stuff that is already being paid for in some manner (hunters?). In a few years this revenue should be result in a huge surplus as you can only paint an outhouse at at trailhead so many times. In my opinion, It appears that CPAW has become a money pig and it also appears that really do not have to use "loss of revenue" as a reason in making big game license allocation decisions.

The state parks pass on your vehicle registration is the second dumbest thing I’ve seen this state do. First dumbest was the plastic bag ban, but that’s mainly the fault of the dumbasses who live here.

It shows up on every registration, even for trailers! If you have a bunch of vehicles is gets ridiculous. It’s not hard to decline, but its deceptive and I can see some of the dumbasses and old folks getting tricked into buying it.

Bottom feeder slimy business practices (n)

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom