Doggin Coyotes

S

sneekon

Just intrested to see how many people dog coyotes or know people who use dogs to hunt coyotes.

Seen it done on video years ago. Flippin really cool. The guy was using rotwiellers and they would run all over the place and bring the yotes right back to him and he would pop 'em at about 10 yards or whenever he wanted. Not 2 hours ago I just plunked a yote myself in the back yard! Hope you get some info on this post 'cause I've always been interested too.

HK

GO HARD KORE OR DON'T GO AT ALL

I know a couple guys who do it with some success in the spring time. Mt. Curr breed seems like they do a hell of a job on them, this is one i took in south east utah. --->
2005killfotos131.jpg

Dang Smoke, that pic is huge, but cool. How do your dogs work their roundup? And why does it work sometimes and not others?

HK

I should of resized the pic.. oh well. I've seen the best results in the spring time, the dogs are usually out moseying around in a small basin or down below in the valleys and when detected by a coyote they usually come to the dogs to investigate/ run them off, they work as great decoys and can keep a coyotes attention for long periods of time making for easier shots and more time to enjoy the dogs/coyote interact. You need a dog thats independent and not sitting next to ya lickin his nuts all day long.

Smoke,

Can you train your dogs to bring them back toward you?...or do they just run the yotes around for awhile? Does the yote ever attack your dogs? Dang that looks fun!!!

HK

Skoke. Hey thanks for your info i have gotten into doggin this year. so far i have done ok but the coyotes are not very loud right now. They should start talking soon then it will be a blast.I have a few young dogs & This is there frist year but doing good so far.

They dogs will usually lure them back, but once the get to under 150 and are stopped for a clear shot theres lead in the air. I've seen them nip and bite one another but never a full out fight. Light colored dogs with some grit that aren't to small seem to work. When the coyote goes down the currs usually get pretty damn aggresive and are trying to pull fur.

That visual gives me a ear to ear smile and a big chuckle. My old Chessy would tear into coons like that when they were alive and barely living. She flippn hated coons. I've never seen such a calm mild-mannered dog turn into a coon shaking/shredding killer. I'm due for a new dog and this gives me some ideas. Thanks for sharing the thrill.

HK

LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-08 AT 10:16PM (MST)[p] SMOKE Those are great pictures. Do you do a lot of hunting Utah or where? Yes the dog?s great pretty pissed after you have a coyote. My dog changes after I have shot the coyote He runs in and just bits and pulls pretty cool to see them get pissed and want it that bad. Thanks for your pictures they are awesome to look at. I took my Boy with me last weekend and took one dog he thought it was great. It was nice to not worry about his movement as much. We look forward to many days chasing the dogs.

I use decoy dogs as well and also use Mtn. curs. I have one yellow and one brindle. I have a half catahola and half Mtn. Cur in training. I use mine on the trapline as well and they get pretty rough on those trapped coyotes. I skin my coyotes and believe me they can punch holes in them and really make ribs pop when they get a hold of one. It is amazing how strong and rough the cur breed can be. I have luck using them in the breeding season (feb&mar) as well, usually the big male coyotes come to them, I have had some big time stand offs, but never a full blown fight while decoying. I have had 4 coyotes on one dog and it was getting pretty hairy until two of the coyotes took a dirt nap.
I think the trapped coyote is a great way to get a pup to know what your after and also gives them a chance to get ahold of one, but be able to get away from it if needed. I have never had one back-up much, usually the first time in the are a little leery, from then on its all in. Which is pretty standard for Mtn. Curs, not much backup in them.

Thanks JC, Thats great to hear. I also have white mt Curs its great to hear the stories. I cant wait until mine have a year or two under them.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-08 AT 07:32PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-08 AT 07:27?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-08 AT 07:25?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-08 AT 07:24?PM (MST)

They are great dogs, I have really enjoyed mine. My yellow dog will be 10 this year. She loves to run traps, she gets where she knows were we have traps set and she rides in the front passenger seat of the pick-up. As we get closer to a set she sets up further and starts to drool, it really funny to watch her. If I leave home early and do not take her my wife cannot sleep because of her crying, yes she sleeps in the house and is a little spoiled.

There are great dogs and very gamey. Most of mine seem to "get it" at about 15 to 18 months of age. I run all females and it seems at that age their brain flips over and they know exactly what you want them to do from trapping to decoying and I even use mine to tree squirrels to shoot with my bow. Here is a pic of Kate (brindle) and Belle (yellow) fighting a coyote last winter.

484b36727668b427.jpg

Where did you get your dogs from?

That is a awesome picture. I got my dog from a buddy in southern Utah. who has hunted coyotes for years with dogs. He has some great dogs. He will not usually sale dogs locally. He likes to keep the competition down. Where are you from?

I am in SE Kansas in what is called the tall grass praire. I bought the two dogs in the pic from Arkansas and eastern Oklahoma. I have been to Iowa to get dogs as well. Seems you seldom see dogs as white as the ones you guys run out west. That is why I ask where you got your dogs from. Color does not matter as far as ability, but the yellow and white dogs are sure easier to keep track of in the woods and probably my choice when it comes time to get more.

If your buddy ever decides to sell any pups let me know. Thanks

SmokePole, thanks for the comments. I love the color of the dogs in your pics. Are they yours?

The coyote in my pic is a female and she had been giveing me fits for a few days digging up dirt hole sets. I put in this flat set about 15 yards away with a fresh turd from the brindle one there and wahla, there she stood the next morning. I catch 3 to 10 at this location every year. It is amazing how bad they dislike the dogs being in their area.

i was going to keep my mouth shut, but as a trapper myself the last thing i would do is take my damn dog to start barking at it to get the animal all fired up. theres a thing called respect and i think you cross the line. and i dont wanna here your trying to make a good coyote dog either

LAST EDITED ON Jul-11-08 AT 10:16PM (MST)[p]Smoke and JC , do you know what line Mtn Cur he uses, I'm just curious because we use Mtn Curs in Florida for bayin hogs and ours were Kemmerstock, as for using catahoulas...are the a little more aggressive as far as contact with the coyote??

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom