Harvest Statistics

Thanks for the replies, I realize that they are just estimates but figure that they give a relative indication. It will be interesting to see how much of a dive the northwest units took last fall.

I'm all for it and it has been brought up in numerous meetings I've attended. CPW's response is always a no, its too hard, blah, blah, and the best excuse was our computer models are way more accurate then mandatory reporting would be. I about fell out of my chair when they said that, the rest of the room started laughing.

I'm all for it and it has been brought up in numerous meetings I've attended. CPW's response is always a no, its too hard, blah, blah, and the best excuse was our computer models are way more accurate then mandatory reporting would be. I about fell out of my chair when they said that, the rest of the room started laughing.
What computer models for reporting??? Some bimbo that is from a hired agency calling and asking me if i was successful??
Holy crap, all it would take is signing into your account on their current system . Click a reporting tab and fill it out.
If you drew a tag last year and dont fill out your report, then you are not eligable for the draw until you do.
But there needs to be a way that you cannot lie on the report.

30 years ago Calif used to have a deal where you had to have your tag and kill validated by a licensed peace officer or official.
Maybe something like that and then you have to turn your tag back in validated if successful or empty if non successful?. If they dont get your tag back you are not eligible to hunt again..
I dont know, kind of just brain storming at this point.

Yes they claimed their random surveys were accurate enough. We also brought up your points and specifically gave the example of New Mexico with mandatory reporting and if not done you are ineligible for the draw. They really didn't want anything to do with it and they got really defensive when they started getting questioned. It's super funny they do this stuff then we have meetings on lions and bears and they admit to f'n up and we have a lot more then they thought. The last lion meeting we had down here they admitted to not adjusting the quota or doing any kind of counts in over ten years. Yeah that's good biology isn't it.

Their herd counts, harvest success rates, etc. are all just a bunch of guesses. I mean how do they even know how many people are even hunting in an OTC unit?

Exactly at least with mandatory reporting they could ask what unit, did you kill? etc. Right now all they have is the total number of OTC licenses sold. They have no idea how many hunted what units.

Exactly at least with mandatory reporting they could ask what unit, did you kill? etc. Right now all they have is the total number of OTC licenses sold. They have no idea how many hunted what units.
And what makes you think mandatory reporting would make everyone tell the truth?
🙄

They estimate from their surveys. The question is what % of surveys do you need to be accurate. Let's say it is 10%,.do they get 10%? I doubt it and is why they should have mandatory reporting.

Why would people lie on the mandatory reporting is my question?

And what makes you think mandatory reporting would make everyone tell the truth?
🙄
your right but most guys lie now on the random emailed survey. I know tons of guys that always say they feel crowded even if they don't see another hunter, etc. At least with mandatory reporting everyone with a license has to report. How many people do you think they are reaching out to now? I'd be surprised if they are getting 30% of total tag holders.

Another thought at least if they went all limited for elk they would know for sure how many people are hunting each unit. We are at least headed that direction and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets implemented before the next 5 year season structure is over. At least from the rumblings going on in the office down here.

We haven't gotten any calls/emails yet about our 2023 hunts, have you guys?
Brochure is out early Feb
Apps due early April
Draw results out early June right?

I've been on approximately 10 limited hunts and about the same number of OTC hunts as a NR. Never been contacted for a survey.

I seem to get a survey after every draw tag hunt I do. Got my last one in early January when the season ended 12/31.

Does CPW post the new unit and season quotas for the upcoming seasons anywhere? I know how to read the Drawn Out data from previous, but obviously a change in quotas could effect ability to draw. Thanks for any info

Does CPW post the new unit and season quotas for the upcoming seasons anywhere? I know how to read the Drawn Out data from previous, but obviously a change in quotas could effect ability to draw. Thanks for any info
I believe those should be out in a few weeks when they release the big game brochure. It will have tag quotas per season with the hunt codes

I believe those should be out in a few weeks when they release the big game brochure. It will have tag quotas per season with the hunt codes
Negative. The brochure will have any new hunt codes but the quotas for each code will not be set until May (for deer, elk and antelope).

So quotas in NW corner units that were in "severe winter range" last year will be unknown until after the draw app deadline.

Does anyone know of any proposals discussed for re-introducing tags in those areas after pretty much zeroing out some last year. Maybe incrementally. Or will it pretty much all depend on this springs herd counts? Thanks

Ha! My daughter just walked in from the mailbox with 2024 Brochure. Answers some of the questions I just posed. No more OTC in a lot of those units for this fall and next

Seems to be on topic.

CPW urges hunters to pay attention to big game license changes in Severe Winter Zone when planning 2024 hunt
4776dffc-d69b-047b-85b5-e71950b4aa72.png
A young bull and calf stand in a field with a herd of elk during last year’s severe winter in the Northwest corner of Colorado. Record prolonged snow pushed animals farther west and made it difficult for animals to survive. Photo Credit: CPW/Rachael Gonzales

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. - With the primary draw license application period opening March 1, Colorado Parks and Wildlife is urging hunters to pay attention to big game license reductions in the Severe Winter Zone in Northwest Colorado when planning their 2024 hunt.
During the month of January, Meeker and Craig area biologists completed annual classification flights throughout the northwest corner of Colorado, including areas hit hard by the 2022-23 severe winter. Classification flights allow CPW biologists to assess recruitment of young animals into the population and estimate sex ratios. All are important when determining herd health for big game species such as elk, deer and pronghorn.
"As expected, overall numbers of animals observed during the flights were down due to the mortality that occurred last winter,” said CPW Terrestrial Biologist Darby Finley. “However, we are encouraged by what we observed in terms of the composition of the herds, especially the fawn and calf ratios. Hopefully conditions this winter and spring will continue to be mild and allow for recruitment of this year's fawns and calves to the yearling age class. That is the first step along the road to recovering the herds."
Another positive local area biologists noted from the flights was how widely distributed animals were across winter ranges. Unlike last year when large groups of animals were packed into a small area, this year animals were scattered across a wide range of habitat at different elevations and at relatively low densities. These observations bode well for recovery, indicating a mild winter and minimal spread of disease. This should help to promote recruitment in the coming years.
The Bear's Ears herds were most notable in terms of fewer elk, pronghorn, and in pockets, deer. While bull ratios are low, good calf survival will lead to higher yearling recruitment in 2024, CPW biologists believe bull ratios should start to bounce back. Bull ratios within the White River herd were slightly lower than the long-term average and are expected to recover more quickly.
While CPW biologists were encouraged by what they saw during this year's flights, overall numbers are still down due to the mortality that occurred last winter. These observations prompted local area and regional staff to recommend additional changes in the severe winter zone. The following changes were approved by Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission during the January PWC meeting.
SEASON DATES:
For 2024, 2nd and 3rd rifle season dates will return to the nine days for 2nd season and seven days for 3rd season dates.
Dates are as follows:
2nd rifle: Oct. 26 - Nov. 3
3rd rifle: Nov. 9 - Nov. 15.
ELK:
Rifle Over-The-Counter (OTC)

In the severe winter zone, rifle antlered licenses will be limited for hunting on public lands in Data Analysis Unit (DAU) E-02 (GMUs 3, 301, 4, 441, 5, 14, 214) and the following Game Management Units (GMUs) within DAU E-06 (GMUs 11, 211, 12, 13, 131, 231, 23, 24).
If you want to hunt bull elk during the 2nd or 3rd rifle seasons in GMUs 3, 301, 4, 441, 5, 14, 214 you will need to apply for hunt codes EM003O2R or EM003O3R. If you want to hunt bull elk during the 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons in GMUs 11, 211, 12, 13, 131, 231, 23, 24 you will apply for hunt codes EM011O2R or EM011O3R for the 2024 and 2025 hunting seasons. These licenses will be valid on public and private lands. Hunting of antlered elk on private lands within this area will remain unlimited and available over the counter for the 2nd and 3rd seasons with the existing unlimited antlered licenses (hunt codes EM000U2R and EM000U3R) that are offered statewide.
This modification of OTC 2nd and 3rd season rifle licenses is effective for the 2024-2025 and 2025-2026 hunting seasons.
Bear’s Ears (E-02)
Due to the severity of this past winter and the high elk mortality the Bear’s Ears herd suffered, all either-sex hunt codes within DAU E-02 will be replaced with antlered only hunt codes. Hunt codes EM003O1R (valid in GMUs 3, 4, 5, 301, 441), EM003O4R (valid in GMUs 3, 301), EM004O4R (valid in GMUs 4, 441), and EM005O4R (valid in GMU 5) were created to replace the old hunt codes EE003O1R, EE003O4R, EE004O4R, and EE005O4R.
Ranching for Wildlife - Bear’s Ears (E-02) and White River (E-06)
An antler point restriction (4 points or more on one antler OR a brow tine of at least 5 inches long) will be instituted for all antlered elk taken on Ranching For Wildlife properties located in the Bear’s Ears (E-02) and White River (E-06) elk herds, effective for the 2024-2025 and 2025-2026 hunting seasons.
PRONGHORN:
The severity of the 2022-23 winter had significant impacts on the pronghorn population in DAU PH-09 (GMUs 3, 301, 4, 441, 5, 13, 14, and 214). Doe pronghorn hunting for all methods of take in this area will be closed for the 2024-2025 season.
The most significant of the above changes is the modification of the traditional second and third season OTC bull licenses, having limitation of these licenses for public land hunting opportunity. To hunt public lands during these seasons for bull elk, hunters will now need to apply in the drawing for one of these licenses as they will no longer be available for purchase over-the-counter.
“Last winter was historic in many ways,” said Finley. “Like last year, these recommendations were not easy to make. However, we still believe these substantial reductions in licenses will allow herds to recover as quickly as possible.”
It is important to note license quotas will not be finalized until the 2024 May Commission meeting. The annual license setting process is done using established Herd Management Plans (HMP), harvest data collected from previous year’s hunting season, classification flights done in the late fall and winter and collar data collected from deer and elk in select DAU’s. Using this information, regional and area terrestrial biologists meet with local staff to establish recommendations for that hunting season's licenses. These recommendations are then presented to the Commission for consideration. The Commission has the authority to modify and approve recommendations. This process is repeated annually to ensure objectives of the HMPs are met.

Learn more about the 2022-23 winter in Northwest Colorado and Colorado Parks and Wildlife’s response in Colorado Outdoors online two-part story on the power of collaboration and surviving today and after the snow melts. Because of the wildlife impacts observed on the ground, CPW instituted unprecedented license reductions and changes to licensing allocation within this severe winter zone.
###

I did a black bear hunt on the fringes of the Dismal Swamp in North Carolina in 1988. NC regs required a phone call to their number to record a successful hunt. You answered several of the questions by pushing a number on the phone, and NC DNR gave you a serial number recording your kill which is your proof of mandatory check-in. There is zero reason why Colorado cannot adopt this. Other than they don't want to. Then they'd have a real idea of how successful hunters were.

I did a black bear hunt on the fringes of the Dismal Swamp in North Carolina in 1988. NC regs required a phone call to their number to record a successful hunt.
You'd think Colorado could have at least advanced to 1988 technology by now!

The first time I remember a tele-check was Iowa, in 2009. Only reason is that was probably the first NR tag I punched other than WY in the early 2000's.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom