How many Austin & Halleck owners

out4elk

With A&H out of business how many of you still own and shoot these rifles and why.

I own two of them and still hunt with both of them. Still like them cause of the dependability and accuracy and still cuss both of them around day three for being so damn heavy!!

Thought of buying a new one but they are just so dang trusty.

I've got one and still use it my daughter shot a small bull with it back in november.I don't think I've ever had a miss fire with mine.It is heavy but man it shoots good. I don't hunt enough with a muzzleloader to justify buying a new one, but even if I did I'm not sure I could buy anything better.I also have a remington 700 ml that I like but it does not group as well at longer distances as my austin & halleck, but it is much lighter.All in all I like the way mine feels and handles, it shoots good and looks good, it's a very reliable gun.

Still running my 9 year old 420LR
Have not personally seen a more accurate muzzloader with a max charge load and sabot. Mine will do 3 inch 3 shot groups at 200 yards if I do my part.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-31-11 AT 09:40PM (MST)[p]Yeah, but you seen first hand when they are lighter like mine, you tend to forget about them, loosen the grip and they get dropped alot (thats my excuse). Or, mabey it is because I'm a clutz. Tell the wife and kids hi, hope everyone is doing ok.

Why did the company go out of business? I have a friend who has one and it feels like a great gun and he loves the heck out of it.They are good looking smoke poles, here today gone tomorrow though...

I bought one of these guns 3 years ago and still havent shot it.
What loads and bullets perform the best for you guys?

For you A&H owners, I broke the .209 nipple off mine while removing the breach plug a year ago and figured I was out of business but I found this company on the Internet and ordered a replacement. I works well and is much stronger than the original. Hope this will help someone else that's had the same problem.

http://www.prbullet.com/ah.htm

I have the same question as crazeymaez. I have a 420 50 Cal. Best sabot I've found is the Nosler S.H.O.T. 250 Grain/ .451 Diameter,

http://www.southernhuntingsupplies.com/nosler_s.h.o.t.s._muzzleloading_sabots.html

I tried three different sabots brands and everything else was all over the page at 100 yards, two hundred yards was not even an option, 3 foot patterns. Some were tumbling at 25 yards. Spent over $100 trying to find one that would pattern. I'm not the best shot in the world but I can usually keep it on paper but not with anything I tried but the Nosler S.H.O.T.

I would really like to find a little heaver sabot if anyone has a proven product. The .250 Noslers are reliable but pretty light for heavier game.

I like the A&H, my son has one and it was a shooter too, that's why I bought this one. It is a heavy bugger alright but that keeps the recoil mild during practice. When I shot at game I never feel any recoil so I only worry about it during the warm-up stuff.

After I bought the gun I heard the barrels were made in Spain by a company that makes barrels for CVA too. I was worried about that because I've never been impressed with CVA products but I have yet to hear of anyone with an A&H that reported a bad barrel, if you find the right sabot for it, so I quite worrying about it.

I don't pull the trigger on deer very often anymore (at least on in Utah) but still prefer to chase them with a muzzleloader so I'd appreciate any A&H information the rest of you boys have acquired.

DC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom