January Mule Deer Hunters? ?

BUGLEnmIN

Very Active Member
January is only a couple weeks away and no one is buzzing about it? I'm pumped, hope to put the cherry on top of this season with a big swollen muley!!!!! Anybody got any tied to a tree yet?

That's jacked up Paul haha.I'm with you tinemaster well I'll get it started,I got about 5 good bucks on my radar, one in particular that is just making these last few days killer. I hope to be putting a picture of him up soon!

We will be out there (unit 30), hopefully, by dark Dec. 31. Doesn't get much better than the January archery hunt in New Mexico when the rut is in full swing. Can't get here quick enough!

Is it really full swing in Jan? I've always thought that the rut was a bit earlier like the last week of Nov to the first couple weeks of Dec?

Anybody else want to chime in with stories of their past Jan archery Hunts that have seen some good rut activity? Succes pics are always welcome :)

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-15 AT 07:01AM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos3/50931216151631b1.jpg
Sorry so blurry, high winds through binos. This buck is absolutely huge.
January rut has been great to me, and will definitely be in full swing.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-15 AT 10:26AM (MST)[p]Here are a few pictures I had on my phone, all from past January seasons. First one was my first NM muley 14 years ago, next is one my buddy shot 2 years ago, next is one another buddy in our group took last year at less than 15 yards. The rest are some pics I snapped with my phone through my binos freehand, so not the best but you'll get the idea. Hope you enjoy!
2q8svwo.jpg

mltstj.jpg

2jb1bn7.jpg

63u54n.jpg

2r7pzk0.jpg

kdub75.jpg

2w3paix.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-15 AT 12:14PM (MST)[p]Awesome pics man thanks for sharing can't wait for the 1st!!

I will be down in 30 again this year. Hopefully not posting a picture till about the 5th. Wouldn't want to kill the first day and be done hunting that quick lol!

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-15
>AT 07:01?AM (MST)

>
>http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos3/50931216151631b1.jpg
>Sorry so blurry, high winds through
>binos. This buck is absolutely
>huge.
>January rut has been great to
>me, and will definitely be
>in full swing.

I have a Jan tag in 30. That picture looks like the Sandias. Recently I watched a nice buck standing on the side of a hill as joggers jogged past him at less than 10 yards and he never even budged. You might want to try to put on some Sandias Camonwhich is a jogging suit and cruise around like that. They see you sneaking around and they get nervous. If they think you're one of the yuppie hikers they seem tonkeep their cool and chill out. Those joggers never even knew the deer was 10 yards from them as they jogged by him.

I have seen them rutting hard at the end of November or in the middle of January. It just depends on how hot the does are in that area at that time.

I got the unit 19 January hunt here in the Organs outside of Las Cruces. Already have seen six shooter bucks. I will be out scouting again Sunday and I'm going to take some pics this time. Will post Sunday evening. They are just beginning to rut like crazy. Always hits around here right about New Years.

I've been traveling a lot chasing Quail, Ducks, and Geese I can tell you the rut is in full swing now. Watched a Whopper cross the Rio twice on a hot doe Thursday. Some big boys running around this year, and I don't have a tag either!!!! Good Luck to those that do.

I hunted the first week of Jan a few years ago and saw zero evidence of the rut. I'm sure every year is a little different.

>Got some bigger bucks on I
>will post later. MAN I
>WISH HE HAD FORKS!!! Still
>a nice buck to see,
> hope to keep the
>anticipation levels high haha.

6812wgi0020.jpg

From what i observed today they seem to be near peak rut right now in the Sandias. Watched a buck similar to this one get rocked by an even bigger buck then the dominant bred the doe 20 yards from me. That is a nice lookin deer in the photo but ur right i have seen bigger also. Best of luck to u and ill maybe see u out there cheers!

Counting the days fellas got four cameras to check Thursday and put my map on the wall and throw a dart blind folded and see where I'm starting hahaha

Went and checked two of the three cameras yesterday, tons of good looking bucks on one and the other was sabotaged! All of the batteries were stolen along with the sd card! To make it worse the fresh snow was covered in tracks! I found a strange note that said saw some young kids messing with your camera, hope it's ok, signed a fellow hunter.?????? People suck

Hank, we are headed down towards 17 I was wondering how the roads are? And how much snow accumulation is in your area?
I hope everybody stay safe!

47d81ada2754674f.jpg

It's 9 right now,have about 6-10" on ground here.
Our road has been packed down now.
The Pieway is clear,but don't know about the gravel roads.
I imagine Catron County & Socorro County road dept's are busy with roads more folks live off of.There are ranchers along 52 and those roads and maybe they cleared some.

I think FS folks are near the heaters in the new building.....

That sucks your cam was sabotaged, but in this day and age I can't imagine leaving a cam anywhere without a Bear Safe and fully locked. Even with that and remote locations I've still had them stolen. But unlocked and fully accessible you're just asking for trouble. Unfortunately.

Carl

>Went and checked two of the
>three cameras yesterday, tons
>of good looking bucks on
>one and the other was
>sabotaged! All of the
>batteries were stolen along with
>the sd card! To
>make it worse the fresh
>snow was covered in tracks!
> I found a strange
>note that said saw some
>young kids messing with your
>camera, hope it's ok,
> signed a fellow hunter.??????
>People suck

I wonder if I possibly saw your cameras when I went to help a friend on the youth hunt. Surely you don't want to say where they are it this won't give anything away. Were they in a place that starts L?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-31-15 AT 02:47PM (MST)[p]Good luck to everyone heading out tomorrow. Here is a buck I got a photo of yesterday afternoon.

6534buck2.jpg

I think I would wait till tomorrow, unless you got some low country to hunt and you know it is fairly clear.

Deer may not be moving around today. Cold and icy.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-16 AT 06:08PM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos3/55050104160908.jpg

Smaller then what I was hoping for but thank God for the blessing. If someone would flip I'd appreciate thanks guys, happy hunting God bless.2016 coming soon lol hope it's not pics of red tags that say unsuccessful haha

Thanks for flipping it Vini, thanks guys kinda bummed it's over but very grateful. Miguel no January deer tag for you?

>Thanks for flipping it Vini,
>thanks guys kinda bummed it's
>over but very grateful. Miguel
>no January deer tag for
>you?

Next time pass him up that way you can stay hunting. Lol

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom