Muzzleloader for Daughter

bigfoot llamas

We hit the archery hard but it just did not work out for my 12 year old daughter to get a buck with her bow. I cant say enough how much she impressed me with her attitude. Any moment I thought I would hear that she had had enough but she kept at it. She is truly an amazing young person.

That being said I need to find a good deal on a muzzleloader so we can put a buck down. I havent hunted muzzleloader since high school so I am looking for information on good equipment on a budget. Would not pass up looking for used.

Thanks in advance,

meatinthepot
Thad Okerlund

I don't know where you live, but I raised three daughters a son and a step son. My two sons drowned in 1985 while visiting their mom in Idaho and my youngest daughter past away with a brain annurism on 9-11-05, leaving two little boys behind. In their honor I would love to let you borrow my White's 50. It's a tack driver. If it can be arranged. Let me know if you're interested.

Wow. Hope that works out.

If she is hooked at 12, you will have a lifelong hunter there. So eventually you will want to get her a rifle. If you borrow one this year, that gives you a long time to get one before next year and can shop the sales after the season.

So, first thing I would recommend is to go to shops and have her shoulder some guns. Fit is as important as which gun. The Omega may be a good choice. The stock is too short for me, so it might fit a young person better. Hear lots of good things about the Accura too. If you buy used, the Omega should be fine, but watch out for older CVA models. Had some substandard barrels on them to start. Now that they come with the Bergara barrels, they are good.

Also, be sure and don't use too much powder. Even 100 gr is too much for her. I would start at 70 gr and maybe use 80 grains max. That is MORE than enough power to kill a deer out to 100 yards. The 45-70 killed lots of buffalo using 70 gr of powder and my elk load is only 90 gr!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

txhunter58

She is definately a lifelong hunter. Shes not much for the the long hikes but find a good spot and sitting she is all for it. If you go to facebook and look up thad okerlund you can check out the crew. She is the oldest of my two daughters. The youngest is not to into right now. She may come around though when she gets alittle older.

That was a question that I had on how to make it alittle easier on her. Altering the grains will definately be something I will look at as well as the makes/models mentioned.

thank you,

meatinthepot
thad

Thank you. It just warms my heart to know a Dad is willing to take his daughter hunting. My first three kids were girls and it was a special time getting them involved. One thing I can say is never pass up an opportunity to spend time with your kids.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-10 AT 10:20PM (MST)[p]>Thank you. It just warms my
>heart to know a Dad
>is willing to take his
>daughter hunting. My first
>three kids were girls and
>it was a special time
>getting them involved. One
>thing I can say is
>never pass up an opportunity
>to spend time with your
>kids.

I hear you and agree. Here is my 12 year old on her first hunt in June of this year. She earned the rifle with good grades and painted the stock in her choice of colors.

025-1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-16-10 AT 09:03AM (MST)[p]I cant say enough about the offer. I let my whole family read the response. Everyone was speachless. Hopefully we can make it happen.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-20-10 AT 10:32AM (MST)[p]I ended up buying a knights black knight .50 cal with a 1x20 swift scope. Its a starter muzzleloader for sure and looks like I will have to cut down the stock about an inch to fit her properly. I will have to taker her out a few times this week and start working on some loads. I have looked online trying to find some starting points but havent found much. I hoping to find out what the minimum load I can have her shoot at, she is leary of the kick. Any advice you have will be well taken.

thank you,

meatinthepot

My girl shot up to 80 grns. of BH 209 but she liked the feel of 60 grn better. :) She killed her bear with the 60 grn. load.

I think if it were me, I would start at 60 gr and try and work up to 70.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Sep-21-10 AT 11:41AM (MST)[p]Is the only way to work on different amounts of powder by using the loose? I looked into some pyrodex and it only came in 50 and 35.

Also going out to shoot tonight on the knights it has a bolt assembly adjusting how hard the nipple is striked is there a suggestion on adjusting one way or the other?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom