My Daughter drew out on Fishlake Thousand Lakes with 1 point!

Instead of going for preference points, I put my 13 year old daughter in for a tag I figured she would not draw this year. (Why go for a point if you can have a chance at those longshot tags?) I imagined how cool it would be if she got it, but never believed it could happen. It was very surprising to see my CC get hit for 800 dollars this past week. The next day the email came, and she really did draw the early rifle Fishlake tag with only one point. Further research revealed the non-res tags the year prior went to a guy with 21 points, and two hunters with 19!! Wow! It was more difficult to draw than I realized. We are in shock but super excited. She is my hunter who really has the bug to hunt for her own elk one day. Looks like that desire of hers is within reach in 4 months from now. We are making plans to get time off work and school to make this happen for her. She will probably be 40 years old before she gets a shot at this again, maybe older with point creep. We are going "all in." We shall begin practicing at the range immediately.

I am vaguely familiar with the Fishlake Thousand lakes unit, but I have not set foot in it in over 20 years. I do remember the places I drove around being awesome elk country. Google earth is helping me remember the places I drove through, but I don't remember there being so many roads as Google earth shows. Did UDOT open a construction office on top of the mountain or something?

Referencing bull size, there seems to be a lot of nay-sayers on the quality of the unit in the few threads I have read. Perhaps the chance for 400's isn't there, but I am hopeful and confident we can find her a nice bull with an entire week to spend on the hunt. I am not concerned with the bulls score, only that she has a good time and makes quality memories. She tells me she wants a six point, so I am sure any fully developed six point will work, but I bet a nice big 5 would do the trick too! But hey what if a big one is still out there?, what if a 360 walks out into the open...Oh there I go, daydreaming about big bulls again... No,seriously, it's her hunt and I am excited to be there for her first elk whatever it turns out to be. :)

How is the unit in your experience? How far off the roads do we gotta get to find solid opportunities to get some shots at elk?
We will have a horse in camp to pack meat, therefore we can pack a bull out a few miles with no problem. She is a tough kid and has no problem walking many miles in a day, so she is up to the challenge. What areas would be considered the remote "horse hunting areas?"

Thanks in advance for any information you would like to share. May all of you and especially your children have unexpected success in the elk draw next year also! :)

Good luck. I'm still learning the area.

Here?s a Fishlake Bull I saw last week. He?s not too far from the road. Def don't need horses to get him out. It's only may but I think he's already done growing.

496082be84e8b06f040fbabee663b6c54654e.jpeg

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

www.cloverleafrifles.com

https://youtu.be/l3xHt-xeNYw

My dad had a tag last year. Pretty darn fun but his hunt was not easy. Glad to share what we learned. I will send a pm in a couple days.

We heard lots of bull when it was cool and rainy but we had a hard time getting them out of the trees. We never did see a full body of an elk in 5 days. Bits and pieces but not a full body. If the sun was out not a peep. There were quit a few people running around looking for elk but not finding them. We felt pretty lucky to get this one. Dad has only shot spikes so he was on top of the world when he got this one. It was great to spend some time with my brother and dad.
11539img0485.jpg

72344img0476.jpg

Thank you for posting. I like that bull, I am happy your hunt turned out well. I am glad you got to hear them at night so you knew they were around. I always love to hear elk bugling all night in September too.

You guys look happy. Congrats to your dad!

>
>Good luck. I'm
>still learning the area.
>
>Here?s a Fishlake Bull I saw
>last week. He?s
>not too far from the
>road. Def
>don't need horses to get
>him out.
>It's only may but I
>think he's already done growing.
>
>
>
496082be84e8b06f040fbabee663b6c54654e.jpeg

>
>
>
>"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"
>
>www.cloverleafrifles.com
>
>https://youtu.be/l3xHt-xeNYw

That's got to be a Monroe bull who got confused and tried crossing the road. BIGJOHNT can vouch with the FL elk status!

In all seriousness congrats with your daughters tag. I've hunted it several times. The most rewarding was hunting it with my wife when she had a tag. I'd imagine you and your daughter will be making some special memories.

The first few days were cold and rainy with a little snow. The elk were very vocal even in the day time when it was cool. Getting them out of the thick stuff was not easy. But we are not very experienced call elk.

Congratulations to your daughter! That should be a great hunt. Many of my co-workers hunt that unit for elk and do well.

My 13 year old daughter also drew a LE late rifle elk tag this year (for a different unit). We're just flat out excited to hit the hills.

Like some have said before cool weather will help, quality may be down on the fish lake but should be a fun hunt. You can see a lot of country on fish lake just from the road.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom