NR Elk Bonus Points-How Many?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I've currently got 6 NR points for elk. I know the Nevada system and know that people draw with no points. BUT...can I be looking at decent odds from here on out to draw a tag? Or do my odds not get very good until I've got say 10 points? Just trying to figure out when I'd have a good chance to draw. Thanks guys...this is "generally" speaking.

Steve
Worlds Best ebayer
Great transaction, fast payment, A+++++

If you dont get a tag this year ,I will bet you will draw in the next 10 years or so.

A lot will depend on what hunts you are trying to draw.

Last year my brother drew with only like 3-4 points. He drew his fifth choice which also happened to only have one non res tag.

You just never know but yes statistically every year you will have a better chance than the last

I have 19 points, and I don't think they do much for my odds. Think about it...who will get the low number: the several thousnad applicants who have 10 or less points, or the very few of us that have a ton of points.

The NDOW bonus points breakdown shows this. Damn few of us with 15+ points have drawn elk tags in the last 3 years.

LMAO, 6x7!

I checked out the blue and white chart....that's what it's called, you know. It seems like a crap shoot. There was a guy on there with 19 points and didn't draw....what a shmuck! Ooooops...sorry dwalton. LOL j/k!

Jarbridge- here I come!

Steve
Worlds Best ebayer

I am just mad that you drew a utah tag and I didnt,but I guess I can put in for the unit you drew next year and you will give me all your gps numbers.

They show successful applicants, regardless of choice, and unsuccessful first choice applicants. Successful applicants get the first available of up to five choices... There is no way to know true odds. Just keep in mind that true draw odds for the stuff like elk and sheep are MUCH worse than they appear. I'm not thinking my odds are good for elk or desert sheep with 16 points....

13 points going into this years draw. THIS will be my year. Hey, $1200 price tag has to scare some folks off.

Venison and Zinfandel are GOOD!

Hell.....at $1200 you can have the tag this year! LOL

Steve
Worlds Best ebayer

Honestly, NV is a NR deer state... You can figure on a good deer tag somewhat frequently if you are not super picky. Elk, sheep and such are a huge stretch... Ever... Cool if you draw, but no way you can ever count on it, lest you be disappointed....

i drew a NR tag with 7 points a few years ago....so there is hope

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

i drew with 3 res points first choice,then next year drew same tag o points, next year same tag o points. this was a unit with only 40 or less tags.

Well, with 14 antelope, 13 elk, 12 desert sheep, 12 california bighorn, 9 goat and 6 deer points, I drew.....

NOTHING.

Maybe change your handle to NVelknuts.....just a thought!

Steve
Holder of a 2012 LE Utah Deer Tag!!

>Maybe change your handle to NVelknuts.....just
>a thought!
>
>Steve
>Holder of a 2012 LE Utah
>Deer Tag!!
>

Actually, Wiz, it's more likely to change to AZelknuts, but NV is also a possibility. I'm thinking within next 3-5 years. By then, whichever state I move to, I'll have a boatload of points to use as a resident.

>I have 19 points, and I
>don't think they do much
>for my odds. Think
>about it...who will get the
>low number: the several
>thousnad applicants who have 10
>or less points, or the
>very few of us that
>have a ton of points.
>
>
>The NDOW bonus points breakdown shows
>this. Damn few of
>us with 15+ points have
>drawn elk tags in the
>last 3 years.

I was lucky to draw my elk tag when I had 7 NR points going into the draw but that was back in 2007. I think points definitely help you but I am in DWalton's camp on this. The longer you go without drawing the worse your odds get in comparison to the lower point pools. Everyone below is moving up to the next point level and collectively gaining ground on you because of the way the bonus points are squared in NV. Also, you have the new applicants that are entering the draw for the first time. There simply aren't enough NR tags turning over to stem the tide.

Take for example the 161E elk hunt draw stats from last year and for the sake of argument let's say these are the draw stats for this year and this is the hunt DWalton applied for. While DWalton had 19 points or 362 chances to draw a low random number this year (19 * 19 + 1), there were were 100 applicants with 9 points with 8,200 chances for a low random number (100*(9*9 + 1))! Next year DWalton will have 401 chances after gaining his 20th bonus point but the 100 applicants will now have 10 points and a combined 10,100 chances for a low random number. So, while DWalton will have 39 more chances next year (401-362), the 100 applicants gain 1,900 chances (10,100-8,200) to draw a low random number. I haven't ran all the numbers for all the various bonus point levels but the same logic applies. Then on top of those other point levels gaining ground on you add in the 200 or so putting in for the first time every year which is approximately 1/2 of what DWalton will have in total chances next year. To me, the pressure mounts on the high point holder in NV every year that goes by without drawing a tag as all things being equal, your odds of drawing overall decrease.

I have the same opinion as to those of us NR in the CO moose, sheep, and goat draws (though not to the same magnitude as NV because bonus points aren't squared). Every year that you don't draw, the next year you have a new class of applicants that have gained the necessary three points to qualify for the draw. The new class of applicants out-strip the turn over of NR tags and while you gain a weighted point, so does everyone else and you have that many more new applicants to compete against.

Points can be both a blessing and a curse! With that being said, I would certainly rather be in DWalton's position with all those points instead of being on the opposite end of the spectrum!

Horniac

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom