Old Men

feddoc

Long Time Member
We have a different mindset. I remember squatting 650 and benching 450 in my youth. Now, ahem, things have changed a bit.

I'd like to think I have gotten wiser and chosen my battles more efficiently.

I present this for your consideration.

Ready to blow!!!

BA07B069-C953-4EA6-B577-B6071DBAEF00_1_201_a.jpeg

What is dangerous is old men that packs a gun. When younger they would take you on with their fists. After getting older they will just shoot you in the blink of an eye. They may also have a lot of experience in shooting a gun over the years and are deadly shooters.
RELH

What is dangerous is old men that packs a gun. When younger they would take you on with their fists. After getting older they will just shoot you in the blink of an eye. They may also have a lot of experience in shooting a gun over the years and are deadly shooters.
RELH
gunslinger.gif

And...I'm running out of places to stash the bodies. :rolleyes:

An old man, early 80s, that lives right behind my shop had a super bowl party at his house a few years ago. His son's girlfriend got drunk and irate. The old man told her to shut the f up or leave. She chose neither. He pulled out a .22 pistol from between his seat cushion and unloaded it into her. He never got out of the recliner. Amazingly she lived. The police never even put him in cuffs. I think the last thing county wanted to lock up was an old man they were going to have to take care of.

RELH
I'm pretty sure that's RELH's biography.

I've always avoided trouble and wouldn't fight unless it was the only way out. I haven't changed. It's all about self-preservation at this point. Don't push me into a corner though.

I'm only 5'8" 150lbs. for goodness sakes. I took a weightlifting class in college and I was the only one in the class who wasn't on the football team. I got an A, so I did okay, I guess.

"The oldest of my 8 kids was just 18 and still living at home, so I had 7 minor children at home, the youngest just barely out of diapers."

Holy Sh!t.

We have a different mindset. I remember squatting 650 and benching 450 in my youth. Now, ahem, things have changed a bit.

So, did you stop squatting and benching entirely, or you just can lift as much anymore?

Cant lift nearly as much. I quit emphasizing heavy lifting in 89 or so when my doc said I was bone on bone (multiple basketball injuries) in my R knee.

Last edited:

Benching 450. ?

It was an interesting article and too often I’ve had similar thoughts, regarding getting old. Too many old friends tell me they don’t hunt anymore. It’s too hard. Too many don’t camp. It’s too hard. Too many say they can’t fish, travel, etc etc because it’s too hard.

I keep telling them, yes we can, we just can’t do it like we did when we were 40, but we can still do a lot, we just need to do it differently than we did 35 years ago. I still do pretty much all I ever did, I just go about it different. I have more money, I’m more experienced, I’m better at using my mind and not so quick to use my back. I leverage. I have more tools, better tools, better vehicles, better camp gear, etc etc. ……..And a huge one is I have more time and I’m more free to come and go where and when I want.

I suspect a lot of the rest of you, that are over 60, are very much the same.

Applying these same concepts when it comes to defending our country, I see it the same as it is with hunting, fishing, etc. We can’t do what we once could do but we can still make a huge difference, if pushed far enough. We old American men/women have very little to loose.
In all the humility I can muster…… It would be wise for anyone thinking it will be an easy fight to think about that, should they decide to try.

For example, I live on a rocky, craggy tree covered ridge, that runs for many miles in three directions. All the homes here have cement basements, 6 feet deep. Within 4 miles over a 1,000 old men and women have lived their lives here. They know the terrain. They are all heavily armed, not for harming humans and they won’t be, except under the most dire circumstances, but those are weapons which can be used very efficiently, by really old men and old women, if they need to, if they have to.

And while we are a thinly populated State. There are literally hundreds of these small rural communities that can and will gather up a 1,000 old timers, if it becomes necessary. No, they would not be leaping over tall building, dashing from fox hole to fox hole, running and racing and down ridges and charging through machine gun fire, but make no mistake……. old folks will still fight and they will make a hell of a difference in the outcome.

I remember watching my 55 year old father in law deal with a punk in downtown San Bernardino one afternoon, back in 1969. He was a WWII Vet. After he was done with the guy, he looked over and grinned at me and said, “never hit a man over 45 years old, he’ll never stop fighting until he’s out-cold or dead. Punks quit with one good kick in the balls.

As I’ve watch over the years, he seems absolutely right.

Last edited:
It was an interesting article and too often I’ve had similar thoughts, regarding getting old. Too many old friends tell me they don’t hunt anymore. It’s too hard. Too many don’t camp. It’s too hard. Too many say they can’t fish, travel, etc etc because it’s too hard.

I keep telling them, yes we can, we just can’t do it like we did when we were 40, but we can still do a lot, we just need to do it differently than we did 35 years ago. I still do pretty much all I ever did, I just go about it different. I have more money, I’m more experienced, I’m better at using my mind and not so quick to use my back. I leverage. I have more tools, better tools, better vehicles, better camp gear, etc etc. ……..And a huge one is I have more time and I’m more free to come and go where and when I want.

I suspect a lot of the rest of you, that are over 60, are very much the same.

Applying these same concepts when it comes to defending our country, I see it the same as it is with hunting, fishing, etc. We can’t do what we once could do but we can still make a huge difference, if pushed far enough. We old American men/women have very little to loose.
In all the humility I can muster…… It would be wise for anyone thinking it will be an easy fight to think about that, should they decide to try.

For example, I live on a rocky, craggy tree covered ridge, that runs for many miles in three directions. All the homes here have cement basements, 6 feet deep. Within 4 miles over a 1,000 old men and women have lived their lives here. They know the terrain. They are all heavily armed, not for harming humans and they won’t be, except under the most dire circumstances, but those are weapons which can be used very efficiently, by really old men and old women, if they need to, if they have to.

And while we are a thinly populated State. There are literally hundreds of these small rural communities that can and will gather up a 1,000 old timers, if it becomes necessary. No, they would not be leaping over tall building, dashing from fox hole to fox hole, running and racing and down ridges and charging through machine gun fire, but make no mistake……. old folks will still fight and they will make a hell of a difference in the outcome.

I remember watching my 55 year old father in law deal with a punk in downtown San Bernardino one afternoon, back in 1969. He was a WWII Vet. After he was done with the guy, he looked over and grinned at me and said, “never hit a man over 45 years old, he’ll never stop fighting until he’s out-cold or dead. Punks quit with one good kick in the balls.

As I’ve watch over the years, he seems absolutely right.
I understand.

I used to muscle my way through things, until I was about 50.

Best thing I ever did was to buy a hydraulic shovel. I get more stuff done, and find more stuff to do, than I ever would have with a manual shovel.

At my age I think the best thing I could do for my country is be a trucker.
I’d donate a few bucks, if you’d pull a big rig up to the Capital Mall eel! Least I can do from here in the Juniper Bunker.

Just to explain my ineptitude……. I tied to haul 9000 gallons of diesel up a mountain road, during a blizzard to an oil rig, one night……….when I was in my 30s. I failed……at 30, I’ll give you the wheel now cause I couldn’t do it 40 wheels ago, so I know dang well, I couldn’t now.

Did ya ever spill a load of redwood down the ridge eel?

Last edited:
I’d donate a few bucks, if you’d pull a big rig up to the Capital Mall eel! Least I can do from here in the Juniper Bunker.

Just to explain my ineptitude……. I tied to haul 9000 gallons of diesel up a mountain road, during a blizzard to an oil rig, one night……….when I was in my 30s. I failed……at 30, I’ll give you the wheel now cause I couldn’t do it 40 wheels ago, so I know dang well, I couldn’t now.

Did ya ever spill a load of redwood down the ridge eel?
God bless the truckers in Canada!

I never drove truck but when I was logging old growth redwood it was not uncommon to get a call on the radio of a truck over the bank or a truck tipped over. I only remember one driver getting killed though. One is too many. One photo I took back in 1968-1969.

img864.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's RELH's biography.

I've always avoided trouble and wouldn't fight unless it was the only way out. I haven't changed. It's all about self-preservation at this point. Don't push me into a corner though.

I'm only 5'8" 150lbs. for goodness sakes. I took a weightlifting class in college and I was the only one in the class who wasn't on the football team. I got an A, so I did okay, I guess.
Sounds like me, complete with the 5'8, 150lbs. part. The last time I did any serious weight work was the late 1960s when I had a membership to such a gym. Lifted 3 nights a week, then headed for the titty bar to recoup. Now, the only heavy things I lift are my coffee cup & pecker to pee. :rolleyes:

rockingchair.gif

Last edited:
6’1” and 200 lbs now….not so much muscle anymore lol.

Highest I got my bench in High school was 315 lbs.

I weighed 185… thought that was pretty decent…

450?!….how much did you weigh doc?!

6’1” and 200 lbs now….not so much muscle anymore lol.

Highest I got my bench in High school was 315 lbs.

I weighed 185… thought that was pretty decent…

450?!….how much did you weigh doc?!
At the time I was 262.

Dunno when these guys set their AAU records.

age-body weight-amount-name
Open 275 Bench 629 Dewit, R USA
20-23 308+ Bench 529.2 Cooper, John USA

Last edited:
God bless the truckers in Canada!

I never drove truck but when I was logging old growth redwood it was not uncommon to get a call on the radio of a truck over the bank or a truck tipped over. I only remember one driver getting killed though. One is too many. One photo I took back in 1968-1969.

View attachment 67645
That block stunts the tires on the trailer and even makes the loader look like a Tonka…….. cool picture eel.

I am 52 now and would still tangle with a young punk if necessary. Ask the young punk that took my hamburger from the counter at Wendy's a few weeks ago how the door tasted on his way out. My son and daughter were amazed how quick I dealt with the punk.

And all this reminds me of something I learned a long time ago about young and old people.

Young people like to boost their chest and talk smack before a fight then engage in a battle of strength wasting time and energy risking great bodily damage.

Old people see the end of the battle before it starts and without warning the old person will end it swift and fast reducing any bodily harm to them self. As we age and get old we know we don’t have what it takes to go 10 rounds so we end it once the bell rings of round 1.

Weightlifting with the football team was all about repetition. The teacher wasn't interested in how much weight you could lift one time. He was interested in how much weight you could lift 10 times in a row. I was doing leg presses for a grade and did 10 reps@440 lbs. A lot of good that did me in life.

I only took the class because it fit my other class schedule.

Weightlifting with the football team was all about repetition. The teacher wasn't interested in how much weight you could lift one time. He was interested in how much weight you could lift 10 times in a row. I was doing leg presses for a grade and did 10 reps@440 lbs. A lot of good that did me in life.

I only took the class because it fit my other class schedule.
I practiced running. It served well until I learned to watch my mouth.

Feddoc I was joking if you did bench that cool then. I was 6'2" 218 lbs in college. I lifted 225 3x10. My heaviest single lift was 350 or so I think. I never ate enough food to get bigger. Now every time I lift something starts to hurt . Haven't been really healthy since 2009.

Best advice I ever got about getting to be an old man.
1. Never miss a chance to take a good piss
2. Never waste an erection
3. Never trust a fart.

Seemed funny when I was young. Not so much anymore.

Don’t know how old you are but unless your well into your seventies there’s still a lot more to learn about that little gem of wisdom.

I don't think he is a VN vet, but, it's been a few years since this video was dissected on another board I frequent.

Those fists...not his first rodeo. He isn't polished, but those knuckles have contacted flesh in the past.

That girl wearing the headphones....she be hot.

Best advice I ever got about getting to be an old man.
1. Never miss a chance to take a good piss
2. Never waste an erection
3. Never trust a fart.

Seemed funny when I was young. Not so much anymore.

I might know the same people as you.

Only I'll add one. A good chit is better than sex

Okay, for you guys over 60 can you shoot as well now as you could when you were 30. I will be 70 this year. I wouldn’t be much good in a fist fight and couldn’t run away from an assailant but I think I can shoot as well as I ever could. By as well I mean acquire a target quickly, fire a fast accurate shot with a fast accurate follow up shot.

I know my eyesight and muscle strength and control isn’t as good but I think my experience trumps that.

Of course if you were a competition shooter when you were 30 you were probably better

Okay, for you guys over 60 can you shoot as well now as you could when you were 30. I will be 70 this year. I wouldn’t be much good in a fist fight and couldn’t run away from an assailant but I think I can shoot as well as I ever could. By as well I mean acquire a target quickly, fire a fast accurate shot with a fast accurate follow up shot.

I know my eyesight and muscle strength and control isn’t as good but I think my experience trumps that.

Of course if you were a competition shooter when you were 30 you were probably better
I haven't pulled a trigger since 2011. Even at 80 yrs. old, I likely still could get on the target quick, which was a trait I always had. That said, I probably wouldn't do as well with the actual shot because I have some slight shakes now, however.

Let's face it guys, the best days are behind us and they're not coming back. We can't run, we can't see, we can't hear, we can't remember, and we can't fight. We're done.

An couple bulls came out of the trees one day to see a herd of cows. Young bull started screaming, pissing all over. "Hey, I'm going to run down there and breed one of those cows"

Old bull, smiled. "I'm going to walk down there and breed the rest"

That testosterone boost young guys get, is great in a fight. But it's not who hits first, it's who hits last, and how much damage there is.

I was 6'5 240 my senior year. Got tired of the old man, 6'0 170, so I faced him up. He knew I could take him, I knew it too.

"My first shot is to your nuts. The second is too. I ain't got a cute little girlfriend". I realized he was much more vicious than me?

Young guys are full of cum and dumb. Got that from an old plumber I used to work with.

I’m not even close to being that good WV…..

Whereas everybody on the porch is confessing this morning, I will too.
Seems like I do a lot of that these days.

I’m done too, done how I used to be but…….not done in the sense that I can’t or won’t go.

I never was a good fighter, I tried to avoid coming to blows, but when I got too old to run, I got a concealed weapon permit. I still go where I want to, I still don’t go looking for trouble.

Into my late 50’s I could count the critters I’d ever kill off a rest or in a kneeing or prone position. Especially with a heavy barrel muzzleloader and a set trigger. I simply shot off hand. Hell I can’t even hold a muzzleloader off hand period anymore, let alone hold it still. Now I hunting with a tripod or a trigger stick.

I can’t climb anymore, so I still hunt from a blind or concealed in natural cover. I only hunt where I can retrieve from a vehicle or most times I’m with one or more of my boys.

I sold my fishing kayaks and fish from a boat or from shore. I can’t fish fast water anymore so I still water fly fish.

I don’t go as often but I still go a lot. I don’t stay as long but I still stay long enough to justify the trip and enjoy the environment.

I hope to heck I never have to do any of those life or death kinds of things like defending the community or our country, like this thread has touched on, but if it comes to that, Lord have mercy, if I’m physically able, I’ll try to do my part, regardless of how little that part might be……

……… and eel, buddy, you ain’t done tell we say your done, you got that!!!!

At 55, I might get my A$$ whooped but I guarantee I wont
be the only one bleeding when it's over.
And they'll think twice before trying it again.
Oh yea, it all comes an goes in phases……. You’re still good for a few more “Bobby Bare” encounters.

Many years ago, my daughter had a POS boyfriend and we got into a "discussion" and I took him outside. He told me he was gonna kick my ass, and I told him he better kill me because I would kill him the next day and use him for bear bait. Luckily, my two sons jumped in and put him in his car, before things got very serious. I have no tolerance for bullshit and bullying, even now!!!

My nephew tried to jump bad with me a couple years ago. I told him we could fight and one of us was gonna win. Might be me, might be him.

But, I asked him to consider how he was gonna explain to his friends how he got his ass whipped by a senior citizen, while I would just lick my wounds and catch him offguard.

Hell I'm 68 and just three months ago I chased a creep down Grant Street in SF with a BIG stick for jumping on the hood of my new truck.
He didn't think I could run with cowboy boots but fooled him and caught up to him.
He fake charged me and I turned sideways and pulled the stick over my head and told him I'm going to break this over your head and shove what is left up your --s.
About then I hear drop the stick and you get on the ground. Three cops came out of nowhere and ran the creep down and tackled him. He had a felony assault, felony robbery warrant for his arrest. Went straight to jail
Turns out the cops were detectives helping out in Union Square and they told me they didn't think they could run that far and as fast as I did. In fact they said they were surprised that their uniforms still fit....LOL

It was that day that I decided it was time for me to retire. Did so on December 30th and I am free now of that sh-t show

Congratulations 53. Life is gonna keep getting a lot better from here on. Could be there’s another treasure waitin for ya in Wyoming.

Just make sure you put SF in the rear view and leave it there!!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom