Pauns Draw Odds Report

cannonball

Very Active Member
Has anyone noticed the fewer people who have put in for this Limited entry hunt this year. Muzzleloader hunt down 30% and all of the hunts were down on this unit.

What do you figure the reason is? Poor hunt? financial? Other?

Any input out there!

Quality is way down. Should not be a premium unit anymore. Way to many tags are given for that unit. And way to many tags late in the season during the rut. The cream is continually being skimmed year in and year out. It can't maintain trophy quality with that happening.

The only hunt during the rut is the Management Hunt, 3 points or less on one side. I dont think a 2 or 3 point is considered the cream of the crop.

Using DWR's straight odds it was 10x harder to draw Antelope Island than Henry's Rifle this year. WOW. So obviously that had an affect on everybodys odds.

If there are other guys that think the way I do about the Pauns, I feel like I have so much time invested in my deer points, by the time I can draw Pauns it is worth hanging on for a Henrys tag.

The Pauns isn't even in the same category as Henrys anymore. There is always a chance at a monster, but there is a really good chance at tag soup too. I don't think the Pauns is worth 10 points. It shouldn't be a Premium Tag anymore.

Grizzly

There are still great bucks on the Paunsaugunt but most of the bucks on there are management hunt bucks. I think it should also go to limited entry from premium limited entry. And I think they should take a lot more management bucks off there.

Antelope Island drew a lot of attention from people who are in the under 8 bonus point group. It is a chance in a lifetime, so if you know you most likely won't draw a Henry or Pauns tag why not throw the points to the wind and try for the one Island tag in the draw.

I hope they kill a monster off the Island and the tag goes for $500,000 next year. Job security.

I talked to a friend who's granddaughter drew it last year and had a hard time finding anything south of the highway, so they went to Nephi Pasture and the only thing they could find was an immature 2 X 3. I know of two people from this area who drew out and both have the same story. Slim pickins' for a quality management deer. I was down there a week before Thanksgiving last year and there were certainly mature 3 X 4's, but apparently that wasn't the case during the management hunt. According to some hunters there were a lot of small immature bucks being taken last year unlike the previous year. Maybe to many hunters all at once. What ever the reason this unit seems to be taking a nose dive.

I drew the management hunt with no points (can't complain), know the area fairly well, but I really don't expect much. My son drew the Pauns rifle hunt and I guess he'll turn the permit back.

I don't know what the answer is, but someone with the BGB and DWR need to take a serious look at this hunt. May be issue a lot less regular tags.

My dad had the management tag last year. He lives right by the unit so he knows the area pretty well. He saw about 30 bucks a day, and passed on 8 bucks during the hunt that were 3x4 before he took his. He passed on bigger bucks than what he brought home. He claims it is because he wanted to go hunting with his grand kids.

There are plenty of management bucks, but I would not apply for a rifle tag if I had a stash of buck points. The archery hunt is the best hunt on the unit because you can scout them out all summer and they stay put until the first of October usually. I don't know a ton about the Muzzleloader hunt since they changed the dates, but by the rifle hunt they are scattered all over the low country and a solid buck can be hard to find.

Dillon

www.dillonhoyt.com

+1 Dillon.

The new muzz hunt dates makes it quite a crap shoot and new rifle dates also make it tough the early rifle was a little better as they were still on the plateau starting to migrate off. Scouting is worhtless for the muzz or rifle as this herd is migratory unless you can find a good resident buck off the plateau they usually stay put through the rut. Archery is by far the best for this unit as far as determining patterns. That all said there were some brutes killed on this unit last year and the year before. Also I know of several that slipped through that are great bucks this year. Should be interesting to see how many 200+ inch bucks come off this unit this year.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom