Rule changes

arrowone4me

I am suprised that no one has commented on the new rules being put in place for Utah in regards to:

No longer fixed 1x scopes. Anything goes.
Drawlocks on bows now accepted.
Crossbows allowed.

I wanted to make sure this got in the right forum and not the general because I can't take the comments because I'm an "old" guy. I have my thoughts as I'm sure you do too.

95 posts, 10 pages, 3400 veiws on the UWN .... Link:

http://utahwildlife.net/forum/12-big-game/66234-wildlife-board-meeting-everything-passed.html

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

This change is only for the "any weapon" hunt. Nothing changes for existing archery or muzzleloader seasons. All it would mean is that during the "rifle hunt" you might have guys out there with muzzleloaders with magnifying scopes or crossbows. It is a change, but not quite as dramatic as the orginal post made it sound.

Dax

There is no such thing as a sure thing in trophy mule deer hunting.

Dont mind the change for the Sanpete. We hunt cows and spikes on the regular hunt anyway. I know there are a few places on public ground to hunt big bull's here in Sanpete, There easy to find just look for the Trucks and Wheelers and those are the places. Might be now that land owners wont find enough people who will pay a trespass fee to fund their baiting. If that happens the elk might move on down to public land again. I sure hope so, allot more fun to fill my freezer with another Elk or 2 than keeping a steer instead of selling it. laughed at the scope on muzzle loader rule,have saw allot of scopes on em, but. Never have seen a real 1X on one. Dont think the 1X law has ever been enforced either. The crossbow law on a any weapon hunt, is just a way to get the "foot" in the door. Give it 5 years and it will be allowed on the archery hunt. thats the way they do things.

Sorry Goofy, I had read on another thread that Sanpete is cow only after this year. My bad for not checking out the info myself, Thanks for the link. As for the party hunting for youngsters, I dont think it is a good way of getting youth involved with hunting and off the X box like it was sold to sportsmen. I have already heard people saying things like "Now every nonhunting member will be building points in the draw ( making it harder for the average guy) was even ask to do aHunter Ed class by a guy for his wife, Who I know is not a hunter, and doesnt want to be. He said ya but i'll just start buying points for her now and use them for clay ( Clay is his 2 year old son) when he is old enough. Its a Bad idea unless you make plans like this guy and have kids and other people willing to do it and short stick the average guy.

I've already explained in previous forums why I don't like the "mentor" program, but everything else that passed looks good.

Grizzly

Yep, If we wanted point creep, more money paid to the F&G for less service and more entitlement for points holders kids then this is a great way to mentor kids. There are certainly better ways to mentor kids than prostitute the points system.
It's not cheating if a guy plays by the F&G rules.
Let the cheating begin!
Just my 2 cents,
Zeke

Does anyone know if this rule change (mentor program) will include once in a lifetime or limited entry tags such as elk, sheep, etc. Currently a youth cannot apply for a once in a lifetime tag or limited entry until they turn 14 years old. Question is, if an adult draws a once in a lifetime tag or even a limited entry tag like a pronghorn tag can a 12 year old hunt that animal under the mentor program?

I've dug into it, and it apears you will be able to asign
mentor tags to 12 and 13 year olds INCLUDING LE and OIAL permits.

Even though they can not apply for them on their own til 14 years old.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Hypothetical question. Say a person , um, like say my wife has 7 Bull moose points. She has a limited number of years she will be able to use these points. My guess would be no more than 10 realistically. so now she will compete with every spoiled brat who has a mommy and granny and grampsy that do not hunt . they will just be doing the application in the hopes they draw and can give it to little johnny? how will this be a plus to the system? does little johnny get to put in for another bull on his own points?

Correct!
How is that a plus? I still done see one!
Some how it's sop posed to be good to bait the kids away from the X box.
Unbelievable!
Zeke

It's all about the Benjamins for DWR.

It was promoted by short-sighted hunters with a personal agenda. Now we all pay for it (literally and figuratively).

Grizzly

>It's all about the Benjamins for
>DWR.
>
>It was promoted by short-sighted hunters
>with a personal agenda. Now
>we all pay for it
>(literally and figuratively).
>
>Grizzly

Not only Benjamins for the DWR, but for the groups that are part of the Conservation and Convention Permit Programs. More applicants in the public draws will raise the value of those tags significantly, IMHO!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-13 AT 12:22PM (MST)[p]Why not just make the person applying assign that tag (if drawn) to the kid prior to drawing and that a kid can only be assigned to one application or one species.... This would seem to somewhat fix this issue. You would still be able to use it yourself or give it to the kid after the draw. Probably too complicated for everyone though.

I got sort of screwed when the Grandma rule (group apps could not be split up when returning/keeping tags) got fixed the other year when I wanted to return a tag prior to the draw when I drew as a group (there was zero benefit to the group app as we all had the same points). I told the UDWR that the rule should state that a tag can be returned when there was not a benefit for you being on the group application. They said it was too complicated.

Looks like Deseret decided they were giving out way too many public elk tags. They took the ratio (private/public) from 85/15 and set it at 90/10.

They now give out 89 Private tags and 17 Public tags instead of 82 Private tags and 21 public tags.

I have been a supporter of CWMUs for a long time and defended the program several times. This one I cannot explain and really makes me wonder what the heck is going on behind the curtain.

Can anybody tell me the reason for this? I don't get it.

Answer your question, with a question,. What is the root of all evil? Money is what drives most rule changes these days. More applications = More $ more private tags = more $ its as simple as that.

It is my understanding it is under different control now and will no longer be administered by the landowners, but contracted out.

We need to do away with the CWMU programs. I was looking over some of their stats and giving 2 private moose tags and 1 public is not okay in my mind that is a oil species. Also giving antler less tags in place of antlered tags is a joke. Here is a idea maybe pay them to just open up their land, they can at that point charge to guide if someone wants a guide. It would be a win win at that point. They get paid the public gets all the tags and they can charge for guiding, packing, and lodging.

Deseret has 14700 acres of PUBLIC land included in their boundary.

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

Ya'll realize they changed the fixed power scope rule for the benefit of CWMU units. Nobody uses a ML during the any weapon hunt. This was changed so the CWMU units wouldn't be breaking the law while filming tv shows during their long any weapon season.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom