San Juan/Elk Ridge deer

jorka

My wife has a muzzle loader tag for this unit next month. It’s been years since I’ve been there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Truthfully.? Wait for the Archery season to end and then head down there for at least 3 days to refamiliarize yourself with the unit. Take your wife with you. Then plan on being there during the hunt until she kills a buck. ??

North side has less traffic than the South side. Very little glassing spots, most bucks I have seen are up top. Drive the roads. Not sure if the pressure from the archery hunters push the deer off the edges into the really thick stuff. Was there last week and saw some great 180" bucks.

North side has less traffic than the South side. Very little glassing spots, most bucks I have seen are up top. Drive the roads. Not sure if the pressure from the archery hunters push the deer off the edges into the really thick stuff. Was there last week and saw some great 180" bucks.
No pics you can share??

My daughter in law got a 30 incher with a muzzy while 7.5 months pregnant last year. Most of the best bucks on that unit got nailed by the bow hunters, but not quite all of them. We hunted up north the first day and saw one that was tempting, then went down south the second day and got her buck there.

Well we didn’t end up seeing a lot of bucks but after not sealing the deal on a 200+ typical, we was able to sneak in on this one and get one in him. Great times with family and friends and an amazing hunt. Forgot how beautiful that country is down there.

IMG_9817.jpeg

IMG_6812.jpeg

IMG_2405.jpeg

That’s a great trophy buck for the young lady
Well done to you, to her and to all!

Zeke

Nice buck! Wide, tall/ heavy frame, front forks look solid, back forks look a tad short I’m going 185

When do we find out the score? Also that would be a the trophy of a lifetime for me I hope to hit the 180/200 mark some day!

I have the points to draw the rifle hunt. But tempted to hold out for the archery hunt. Thats the unit I want to hunt, San Juan. I have been chasing the Pauns for 12+ year being just 1 shy of drawing and it is slowly slipping away to 2-4 points each year. Not getting closer, but further.

It ended up scoring 195 1/8. Both main beams were just over 25”. We were super happy with a buck of this caliber. Once in a lifetime. Thanks everyone.
That’s awesome a lot of hunters will never see a buck like that with a tag in their pockets, congrats again

It ended up scoring 195 1/8. Both main beams were just over 25”. We were super happy with a buck of this caliber. Once in a lifetime. Thanks everyone.
What do I get for winning ?….. it is a great deer. They don’t make a typical buck much bigger.

Net scoring is stupid. Yep, I said it. Give me the net score and I’ll immediately unrighteously judge that person.

I don’t care about B&C books or certificates. Net scoring is stupid.

Great buck. Regardless of the number, that is an awesome buck. Well done.

Well jorka!

I Only Asked Because The More I Looked At Your Wife's Buck The Less Difference I Could See From GROSS To NET!:D

That'd Be Bad If We All Had A Buck That Only Netted 193-5/8"!:D:D:D

Not to open up a can of worms with everyone, but I don’t like net scores. I think deducting disrespects the beauty of a big buck. That being said, there is only about 1 1/2” of difference from right to left.

Net scoring is stupid. Yep, I said it. Give me the net score and I’ll immediately unrighteously judge that person.

I don’t care about B&C books or certificates. Net scoring is stupid.

Great buck. Regardless of the number, that is an awesome buck. Well done.
Allow me to offer an opposing point of view to this popular belief.

Net score is what counts. Net score gets you into the Boone and Crockett record book.

The Boone and Crockett record book is the Bible when it comes to North American big game hunting. Just my opinion.

Again congratulations on this Magnificent Buck.

*Everyone probably knows you can carefully wedge a 2x4 in the rack and gain an inch or so on the spread while it is drying. Just sayin

Last edited:
If I shot a “record book” eligible animal, it would not be submitted to the record books.

Net scoring is stupid. Always has been, always will be. Record books are pretty dumb too, if we’re being honest.

It is okay if people disagree. That’s what makes our country a great place. But I think it’s all dumb.

Net score is what counts. Net score gets you into the Boone and Crockett record book.

The Boone and Crockett record book is the Bible when it comes to North American big game hunting. Just my opinion.

*Everyone probably knows you can carefully wedge a 2x4 in the rack and gain an inch or so on the spread while it is drying. Just sayin
I’ll try my best to not insult you but,,,,,

This comment is exactly what’s wrong with hunting nowadays. And it’s what non hunters see and judge us all on. If your main purpose to hunting is to get into the “Bible” for dead animal records, I can’t support it. I’m with Nilla, I could kill the highest scoring buck of all time and I still wouldn’t enter it in the hunting “Bible”.

but wedging a 2x4 in it does not do much for it unless the shortest MB is more than the inside spread..... Who cares... if you need to put a 2x4 to make it score more its more for your own ego.

Submitting to B&C record book is for old guys that like to see their name somewhere to give themselves a pat on the back....

So some of you guys are saying if you killed a typical buck that would knock the Doug Burris buck out of first place in today's day and age you wouldn't put it the B.C. book and give the animal the respect it deserves..really?...hmmm I'm going to have to think about that for awhile

but wedging a 2x4 in it does not do much for it unless the shortest MB is more than the inside spread..... Who cares... if you need to put a 2x4 to make it score more its more for your own ego.

Submitting to B&C record book is for old guys that like to see their name somewhere to give themselves a pat on the back....
I understand your logic. I do have a question though.

If you accidentally kill a big game animal that you have measured and it scores with in the required B&C/SCI inches of antler/horn. How should the “owner” of the antler/horn behave…… submit or hid it in a closet in the barn until the vermin eat it for its mineral content? Serious question…… it’s clearly not obvious.

If you accidentally kill a big game animal that you have measured and it scores with in the required B&C/SCI inches of antler/horn. How should the “owner” of the antler/horn behave…… submit or hid it in a closet in the barn until the vermin eat it for its mineral content? Serious question…… it’s clearly not obvious.

I think that hunter should do whatever they want, enter it…don’t…doesn’t really matter to me. It’s their animal. Just as long as everyone realizes net scoring is stupid.

And record books are for people, not animals.

So some of you guys are saying if you killed a typical buck that would knock the Doug Burris buck out of first place in today's day and age you wouldn't put it the B.C. book and give the animal the respect it deserves..really?...hmmm I'm going to have to think about that for awhile
If you feel like that book is showing respect to animals that’s fine. I don’t believe that for one minute. The reality is that a HUGE percentage of book animals were not entered in the trophy books. Are those animals being disrespected? I’m with nilla on this one as well, record books are for people. Not animals. Do your thing, enter the trophy animal in a record book or don’t enter it. It’s your own choice. But that book does not define any animal, hunt, or hunter.

The hunter should do with it as they please.... If they want to put it in their basement, the Whitehouse, chop it up and sell to china. The hunter should do whatever they want with it.

I have never killed a "Book" animal. Hopefully one day I will kill something big enough with required B&C/SCI inches of antler/horn. Killed animals that with me scoring are very close to "book".

But I would get it mounted and have it sit in my house until I die. From there what people do with it after is out of my control and could care less. But I 100% would not enter it into a book that I have to pay to have my name in it for others to see.

Killing a "book" sized animal is always the goal. But entering it so others can say oh wow he killed a book deer just does not get me going. Everyone can do what they want. Enter it or don't it is each individuals choice.

The hunter should do with it as they please.... If they want to put it in their basement, the Whitehouse, chop it up and sell to china. The hunter should do whatever they want with it.

I have never killed a "Book" animal. Hopefully one day I will kill something big enough with required B&C/SCI inches of antler/horn. Killed animals that with me scoring are very close to "book".

But I would get it mounted and have it sit in my house until I die. From there what people do with it after is out of my control and could care less. But I 100% would not enter it into a book that I have to pay to have my name in it for others to see.

Killing a "book" sized animal is always the goal. But entering it so others can say oh wow he killed a book deer just does not get me going. Everyone can do what they want. Enter it or don't it is each individuals choice.
“Submitting to B&C record book is for old guys that like to see their name somewhere to give themselves a pat on the back....”

Kinda sounds like you do care……. Or do you just like to kick a cat every now and again. But don’t be bothered by having an attitude about old guys giving themselves a pat on the back….. clearly you’re not the only one that cares what individuals do. You’re in good company here.

“Submitting to B&C record book is for old guys that like to see their name somewhere to give themselves a pat on the back....”

Kinda sounds like you do care……. Or do you just like to kick a cat every now and again. But don’t be bothered by having an attitude about old guys giving themselves a pat on the back….. clearly you’re not the only one that cares what individuals do. You’re in good company here.
I care about shooting a trophy.

I do not care for
Submitting to B&C record book

I’m pretty sure that the point of the book is to monitor the aggregate health of the species and pinpoint areas of either trophy genetics, management, or habitat that is capable of producing large deer.
It’s probably a somewhat helpful tool to look towards which states are doing things well, and which states hold the best genetics, etc.

I’m pretty sure that the point of the book is to monitor the aggregate health of the species and pinpoint areas of either trophy genetics, management, or habitat that is capable of producing large deer.
It’s probably a somewhat helpful tool to look towards which states are doing things well, and which states hold the best genetics, etc.
That was definitely what the intent was when it was established in the 1930s. I would have to laugh at the idea that the book is still relevant today for that use.

I have a ‘book’ muzzy buck and my wife has a ‘book’ rifle buck, neither are entered.
And neither were killed while using electronic communication.
I wonder how many entries in the last two decades should not be there because of radios and cell phones?

I have a ‘book’ muzzy buck and my wife has a ‘book’ rifle buck, neither are entered.
I wonder how many entries in the last two decades should not be there because of radios and cell phones?
Sadly……a lot….

We could add road kills to that list of sad. Wolf kills would also count except there’ll be no big game to score in a few more years, so nix the wolves contribution I guess.

I Don't Know About The 2X4 trick!

But Have You Ever Heard Of A HandyMan Jack?

When We Were In School We Had Our Own Big Buck Contests!

There Was Only One Measurement That Mattered:

Overall Width!

One Friend Got A Nice Buck One Year!

Another Friend Got A Nice Buck As Well!

But It Wasn't Quite As Wide!

Yup!

Got The HandyMan Out & Got A Click Every Couple Days!

On About Click #3!

The Buck Became Real Wide!

And Adjustable!:D

Well!

I Thought I Had One That'd Book!

Until You Measured It!:D

The “book” has plenty of picked up deadheads…..it is not just about the hunter.

My experience with most people with no interest in entering one in the ”book” don’t have one that books….

I Don't Know About The 2X4 trick!

But Have You Ever Heard Of A HandyMan Jack?

When We Were In School We Had Our Own Big Buck Contests!

There Was Only One Measurement That Mattered:

Overall Width!

One Friend Got A Nice Buck One Year!

Another Friend Got A Nice Buck As Well!

But It Wasn't Quite As Wide!

Yup!

Got The HandyMan Out & Got A Click Every Couple Days!

On About Click #3!

The Buck Became Real Wide!

And Adjustable!:D
Ya that’s why I said “Carefully” lol. It would be a shame to be 194/7/8 and CRACK on the the last 1/8!!!

This reminds me of a friend’s outstanding Wyoming buck years ago. It scored 195 and change but had a one inch cheater. He said he thought about busting the cheater off but in the end didn’t. It was also one Hell of a buck!!!

Ya that’s why I said “Carefully” lol. It would be a shame to be 194/7/8 and CRACK on the the last 1/8!!!

This reminds me of a friend’s outstanding Wyoming buck years ago. It scored 195 and change but had a one inch cheater. He said he thought about busting the cheater off but in the end didn’t. It was also one Hell of a buck!!!
I scored a typical buck for a family friend some years ago that netted 199-1/8 because of a 1" burr point.......I was sick...as was he that it was there....200-1/8 would have been so much more.

B&C even requested more pics of the burr point from me.....

You Pissed One More Guy Off Didn't You?

I scored a typical buck for a family friend some years ago that netted 199-1/8 because of a 1" burr point.......I was sick...as was he that it was there....200-1/8 would have been so much more.

B&C even requested more pics of the burr point from me.....

I assume this means you’re an official B&C scorer? I have no issue with you following the rules.

Everything else about what you posted is stupid, however. Someone has to feel sick about a 200 inch deer! That’s just the definition of stupid.

You Think He's Just A GRAMMAR Instructor?

You Ought To See The List Of People He's Disappointed!

Especially When Some Guide Told The Hunter The Buck Or Bull is 40"s Bigger Than What It Really Is!

I assume this means you’re an official B&C scorer? I have no issue with you following the rules.

Everything else about what you posted is stupid, however. Someone has to feel sick about a 200 inch deer! That’s just the definition of stupid.

You should start a records program....with your rules

That’s the whole thing, and clearly you’re not paying attention. I think records for animals is dumb.

Kill what makes you happy when you have the appropriate tag. Who cares about what others think?
Well....you have a point....I don't care what you think

Funny how people with qualifying animals think B&C is great, those that don't, don't. and how many that say they have book animals but don't want to enter them know they wouldn't make it.

B&C was never intended to be a pee pee measuring contest, it was to record animals before they went extinct. rather than celebrating the fact we can still enter species that were expected to be gone by now we have people bashing it because they're jealous.

The book is a valuable resource today to determine what species and what animals and areas are thriving and what's in trouble. it's official data not just some yahoo's shooting off their mouth and it is telling us we have problems we should be addressing.

Funny how people with qualifying animals think B&C is great, those that don't, don't. and how many that say they have book animals but don't want to enter them know they wouldn't make it.

B&C was never intended to be a pee pee measuring contest, it was to record animals before they went extinct. rather than celebrating the fact we can still enter species that were expected to be gone by now we have people bashing it because they're jealous.

The book is a valuable resource today to determine what species and what animals and areas are thriving and what's in trouble. it's official data not just some yahoo's shooting off their mouth and it istelling us we have problems we should be addressing.

It's pretty poor data, considering how many "book" animals were killed for decades by folks who didn't give 2chits about "book", so they didn't enter anything.

I'd also argue, second only to IG and YouTube, the book is a strong negative. Animals reduced to a point total and the lengths folks go to to "score" has become impossible to ignore.

Homers example of being "sick" because of a burr, or breaking a cheater of for the book are just a couple of examples.

No, I don't have a "book" animal. Further I've never even measured a horn for fun.
When your gone no one will memorialize you based on a "book", and no one will care about your scores.

Hey Hossy?

I Take It You're Not Sleeping Because Of The 2nd Morning BUCK FEVER?

That Lil Ole PISSCUTTER Is Still Gonna Be There & You Can't Shoot Till Light!

Good Luck & Let Us Know How Much Orange You're Seeing?

It's pretty poor data, considering how many "book" animals were killed for decades by folks who didn't give 2chits about "book", so they didn't enter anything.

I'd also argue, second only to IG and YouTube, the book is a strong negative. Animals reduced to a point total and the lengths folks go to to "score" has become impossible to ignore.

Homers example of being "sick" because of a burr, or breaking a cheater of for the book are just a couple of examples.

No, I don't have a "book" animal. Further I've never even measured a horn for fun.
When your gone no one will memorialize you based on a "book", and no one will care about your scores.

Our group of hunting friends have had the discussion about the "purpose" of the book many times. It always comes down to the question of whether it is about the animal or the person?

One of my favorite things is to imagine two guys like Max Goldman and John Gustafson (Grumpy Old Men) arguing about whose buck is bigger when the scoring system was created... "My buck is bigger and has a kicker!" "Well, mine is more symmetrical. And that kicker you like so much, not only do you not get to count it, you should also get a deduction for it!"

If it were truly JUST about the animal, why does the hunter/owner's name have to be listed? Many of the same points that have come up here get touched on. I would love to see the full accounting of every buck/bull that has eclipsed the arbitrary minimums for each species, but what we have today isn't even close to a full accounting so the data isn't necessarily as it seems.

In my opinion, it again, like most things, comes back to money.. How many people would pay to list an animal they've taken in the book if there were not a reward of their name in a book or on a certificate? My guess, not many. Then the records PY and BC, likely wouldn't exist at all. I don't truly think the intention was to create animosity and angst amongst hunters, but here we are.

When people say " book " that needs to be clarified. SCI is a joke and should not be in any way associated with B&C or P&Y.

If you can't afford the entry fee you can't afford to hunt. do you know what it costs?

The data is the best data we have. you don't discount the data because some people are too cheap to enter or they simply don't qualify. what is entered is valid.

I've scored heads that made book for old guys and young girls and all of them were excited to have a qualified entry. if someone chooses not to enter that's fine. but pissing in someone's pool because you can't get in is pretty lame.

When people say " book " that needs to be clarified. SCI is a joke and should not be in any way associated with B&C or P&Y.

If you can't afford the entry fee you can't afford to hunt. do you know what it costs?

The data is the best data we have. you don't discount the data because some people are too cheap to enter or they simply don't qualify. what is entered is valid.

I've scored heads that made book for old guys and young girls and all of them were excited to have a qualified entry. if someone chooses not to enter that's fine. but pissing in someone's pool because you can't get in is pretty lame.
I would if I could, promise……. so please don’t bring kerosine over ??

Hilarious. You and SS must be buddies. Everyone that’s not in your club are just jealous. I don’t know what the true estimates or numbers are, but I’d bet a large percentage if not the majority of qualifying animals were never reported. Those people are all just pool pissers. Orrrrrrrrrrr……. Maybe a lot of people don’t give two shits about seeing their name in a book. I have two animals that would qualify for book. They’re not in the book. I know of literally dozens of animals amongst my friends and acquaintances that were not entered and qualify. I’m not against bnc at all. But the modern relevance with conservation is minimal at best. Hell, many states have mandatory reporting that probably provides more info than bnc. If you want to keep track of everyone’s trophies, just follow social media.

Hilarious. You and SS must be buddies. Everyone that’s not in your club are just jealous. I don’t know what the true estimates or numbers are, but I’d bet a large percentage if not the majority of qualifying animals were never reported. Those people are all just pool pissers. Orrrrrrrrrrr……. Maybe a lot of people don’t give two shits about seeing their name in a book. I have two animals that would qualify for book. They’re not in the book. I know of literally dozens of animals amongst my friends and acquaintances that were not entered and qualify. I’m not against bnc at all. But the modern relevance with conservation is minimal at best. Hell, many states have mandatory reporting that probably provides more info than bnc. If you want to keep track of everyone’s trophies, just follow social media.
Not big on social media. However I would love some pics of your two animals that would qualify. Why not post them here? If you don’t want to do that, I am curious what year? What county or mountain range and what animal. That is info you can get in B and C without asking.

Not big on social media. However I would love some pics of your two animals that would qualify. Why not post them here? If you don’t want to do that, I am curious what year? What county or mountain range and what animal. That is info you can get in B and C without asking.
Lol. They are not in social media for the same reason they’re not in a book.

If you don't know why SCI is a joke you've proven you don't know anything about the " clubs" .

I have the new world record elk, deer and pronghorn and possibly Shiras hanging at the Yellowstone ranch where Beth and I live. but I don't let anyone see them and I won't put them in the book because I don't want the publicity. I can play this game too.

So back to Elk Ridge, if you could dry Elk Ridge or the Pauns in the next year or two which would you take?

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom