Sheldon deer

I know someone that had an archery tag last year and ended up returning it after a couple scouting trips without seeing any decent bucks.

Had an Antelope tag there in 2019. Saw hardly any horses! Did see one nice deer. The antelope hunt was very disappointing!!!!! Nothing like it was when I was there 9 years earlier! Mark

Had an Antelope tag there in 2019. Saw hardly any horses! Did see one nice deer. The antelope hunt was very disappointing!!!!! Nothing like it was when I was there 9 years earlier! Mark
Sounds like you didn’t see hardly any animals?

Actually most of the horses were taken off during the Trump administration.
Who knows what biden will do with the horses.
Water and predators is becoming the biggest issue there now.

Sounds like you didn’t see hardly any animals?
Not very many! Saw antelope not a lot & nothing that would score over 72. Very few deer, mostly on the western edge of the unit by Bald Mountain Creek. Did see 11 rams in one bunch on Guano Rim right on the Oregon border. I covered a lot of ground glassing. Very disappointed that I burned 21 points on it! I think there were only two of us that were successful on the archery hunt.

Had a sheep tag in 2010. Saw a lot of antelope, a few upper 80 class bucks. Never saw a lot of deer then either. There were hundreds of horses at that time. Mark

Very sad what has happened on the Sheldon. My first hunt there in 2001 for antelope I saw so many great deer and antelope. Hunted it twice more for deer, one muzzy one late rifle. Last hunt 2013, saw a few smaller bucks, shot a 170's type buck, it was already heading down hill.

You're spot on Homer! Frenchy Montero's was a plus 500 easily. He is long gone now, and so is the herds of varied game that the Sheldon contained. I have been on and off, over and around the Sheldon for more than 4 decades. When the grazing diminished, so did the game. Horses need to be removed in total forthwith. No benefit to anyone, ever. OUR Lands, and wildlife are mismanaged, in all their forms.

Things have changed on the sheldon, no question. They were able to get the cattle off of it, but can't seem to get the horses off. There are more horses now than they ever had of cattle. The big issue is water sources are trampled and monopolized by the horses. No one disputes the horse issue, but no one has a long term viable solution to it either.

Not sure when some of you were on the Sheldon last.
But most of the horses are gone and have been gone for several years.
I don’t remember but I think they pulled something like 3,500 off of the Sheldon’s.
It will still be a few more years before the land recovers.
They still need to do some serious trapping.
I saw 5 different bobcats in 1 day last time I was through there.

Last edited:
You are right, the last time there was 2016 I saw fewer horses but still too many. I don't have the stats's to back up my perception, which is, that it was in decline 20 years ago and seems like it hasn't recovered.

Are we talking about the Antelope Refuge, unit 33? My son had an antelope tag there last year and we tried to cover most of it. The only horses or evidence of them we saw was on Badger. I think we counted 6 total. Antelope were around, but size was disappointing. We saw one small 3 x 3 muley and 20 or so does n fawns in 4 days. Water is the limiter in my view. I think the horses were removed?

I'm glad to hear the horses are gone.

The first time I hunted the Sheldon in 1986 I saw about 8 horses just west of big springs table, at the time I thought it was special. Now I think they are a cancer on the landscape.

On that hunt I saw the biggest buck I have ever seen, on the west slopes of Catnip, and antelope everywhere. I mean everywhere with several pushing 80. I hunted antelope on the unit 4 times. On my last hunt in the 90's, the deer and antelope numbers were way down. A friend hunted deer there a couple of years ago and he saw few deer and no shooters and said that the habitat had changed in spots because of the fires. It is a special place and I hope it comes back so future generations can enjoy it.

Much of that country has been reduced to cheat over the past thirty years. Bitterbrush and mountain mahogany thickets are mostly gone. Until we figure out how to regenerate these species I do not see much hope for improvement.

I hunted up in the area this past season for deer. There was lots of Deer feed (mahoganies and bitter brush). Some of the old burns were starting to recover and had deer. I didn’t see anything huge, but did see several bucks in the 170s class.

Cattle ranchers are always vilinized for the sorry conditions today….but historically, without their development and distribution of water……non of these “good old days” stories would be told…
You can make that argument for some areas, but in other areas where I hunt, there is year round water sources and plenty of it where the cattle have taken over. Cattle running over saddles @ 9000'. Destroying the spring areas.

Some places, it has had an impact.

I have a lot of old regulations from putting in. I always keep them because I've always enjoyed studying them pre application periods.

In 1987, 033 had two rifle hunts.
Early was Oct. 3-Nov. 1. It had 215 resident tags & 24 non-resident tags.
Late hunt was Nov. 7-Nov. 15 with 21 Res & 2 Non-res tags.

In 2021, 033 had one rifle hunt.
It was from Oct 5- Nov 5 it had 20 resident tags & 2 non-res tags!!!!!!

It's even worse in other units!!!!!!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom