Sleeping bag recommendations?

WhiteMooseTaxidermy

So last year on a late season backcountry hunt, I about froze to death with the cheap sleeping bag I used. Any recommendations for a light weight, warm bag, that is not too much $$$? I'm 6'1" 210lbs. The bag I used I couldn't even zip the whole way.

I went through a lengthy discussion with the folks here on MM about sleeping bags about 4 months ago. I received some very valuable feed back from a lot of different people. However my search was mostly likely different than yours in as much as I was not concerned about the weight. I wanted, excess warmth, really large size, specific materials, I'll never use it during warm weather, and finally I'll never be back-packing the bag.

If you could give the folks some more specifics, you'll get a more accurate answer to your question, such as:

Do you want to back pack with this bag?

Do you want slick interior material to allow for more easy movement when your in the bag?

Do you sleep on your back. do you sleep on your side, do you sleep with your legs drawn up (fetal position)? Mummy bags are tapered so some folks can't stand to sleep in them because they don't accommodate some kinds of sleeping behaviors. Rectangular bags are roomer and allow for different kinds of sleeping behaviors but there are few rectangular bag designs to choice from and they a nearly always heavier per pound of insulation.

What is the worst case scenario for wind, rain and cold that you plan to encounter when your using this particular bag?

Will you alway be in a tent or do you ever sleep out at times because wind and rain can be as much an issue with warmth as just plain cold?

There are two type of insulation materials, down and synthetics. Both are well liked by a lot of different folks. Down still gets the nod by most folks for being the warmest insulation per pound but if it ever gets wet, your in serious trouble, if it's cold, because your body heat won't dry down. Second, down is more expensive pre pound than synthetics. Synthetics are warm, some claim as warm as down, if you get a heavy enough bag they'll do to -40 degrees. They claim you can sleep in some kinds of soaking wet synthetics and they will warm up and dry out from your body heat.

I would recommend you keep asking question here on MM and then do a lot of reading on various subjects like: down vs synthetic sleeping bags, compare the reviews on different kinds of synthetic insulations (they are not all the same), read the issues associate with mummy bags vs rectangular bags. Read up on how to store the bag when your not using it, to keep the insulating material fresh and functional.

Also, the ground pad and a bivy (cover) are every bit as much a part of getting a warm sleeping bag system as the bag itself, actually, I've come to believe they may actually be more important, if your going to do it right.

I still haven't purchased a bag but I believe I'm going to give a Wiggy bag a try, they are pricey but not that much more than other highly regarded bags. You won't find Wiggy bags at the most retail outlet but they are easily bought over the internet. (Wiggy is made is in Grand Junction, CO as I recall) Big Agnes seems very popular and they have a lot of variety and are very well liked by a lot of users.

Another good place to look on the internet for opinions on good bags are the back-packers forums. Some of these back-packer types hate hunting but they are not short on knowledge about what's light, durable, and warm.

Finally, your specific uses will be unique to you, again, the more you can share with the guys on MM the better your information will be.

Best of luck.

DC

LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-14 AT 08:51PM (MST)[p]Check out the Teton Elk Hunter. I bought one last year for a late season elk hunt and the thing is amazing. The bag is huge, warm and super comfortable. I think I paid like 120 dollars for it at sportsmans. My buddies froze in 0 degree bags and I had to unzip it most nights. It is heavy as h**l and packs up to about the size of a small car but if space isnt an issue you cant go wrong. Obviously this applies more to lumpy.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-14 AT 09:34PM (MST)[p]Here are more details on what I'm looking for-

1) Lightweight to pack in about 5 miles
2) Zero to 15 degree bag since I will only use it in late October
3) Large size to fit my body size (6'1" 210lbs) and have room to roll over on my side during the night. My current bag is like wearing a straight jacket.
4) Hope to pay less than $150 (not sure if that is wishful thinking)
5) I will use this in a tent so not too concerned about waterproof.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Mountain Hardwear Lamina 0 degree bag. $220, 3lbs 10 oz, synthetic. I still use mine on occasion. A little heavy, but a good bag. If you want something less than $150 it wills be a challenge.

Enlightened Equipment's duck down quilt might be a good alternative for less weight with a little more money, long and wide $290, 0 degree, 29.4 oz. I went with E&E goose down as I am a side sleeper. I don't mind mummy bags but a quilt will prevent the "straight jacket" effect.

a zero degree bag that is light weight equals lots of $$$$.
I did some research on this years ago, ended up getting a cheaper bag (light weight) and just brought some thick sleeping clothes to wear at night.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

>wah wah wah......
Zigger?s response on 8/12/2014 to anyone that commits suicide.
zigger is a great example of a low life pos, that doesn't deserve any help. There are many things that would be nice to wish for or say but then I would be just like him.

Go to Mr.Wiggy and look at his options.
Amazing bags.Many in Alaska use them.Cheaper than many others and sizes for big guys...Plus you can get the 2 bagin one system if you want to upgrade later!!!!

Let me start by saying I have frost bite on my feet so I take staying warm very serious. I got it on a caribou hunt where we were wet for 9 days.
I got 4 wiggys for when weight is not an issue. They are great and lots of options among wiggys.Mummy or no mummy and lots of different temp ratings to pick from. For light weight you only have down as a choice so I like Western Mountaineering but they are expensive.
If I had to only get by with one bag it would be a MW Badger 15 degrees because they have a 2 badgers with water resistant materials to help keep the down dry. One is more expensive and weighs more than the first one. I got the lighter WM Badger and if I had to take it somewhere I could add a liner. I also got the WM kodiak down bag and its a 0 degree bag. Lots of room to move around in these bigger than normal almost mummy bags. Badger is recommended by many all over the internet so it must be true! BonJoir!

flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

North Face, Tundra bag is a nice bag for about $279.00. Good to -20F. Reasonable weight if you tend to backpack. It is a polyester Bag not Down. I like poly because if it gets wet you can still climb in it and eventually get warm where a down bag when wet is useless.

))))------->

Teton Bags may be on the heavy side but the price is about where you wanted to be. They get good reviews from people I've talked to that own them.

http://www.tetonsports.com/Sleeping-Bags/Sleeping-bag-main.htm

Also, Marmot makes a highly regarded down bag but they're pretty proud of them, might be out of your price range.

http://marmot.com/products/equipmen...f6k_AMeyQ8TvhWM8ydCurqBjoZcZYgveu4aAiWI8P8HAQ

A two bag system with a bivy cover might be the solution you're looking for. A fair number of people go that way. Two light weight down bags, one inside the other, with a wind/rain over all cover bag and a good ground pad. It could get you the warmth and weight for back packing. Also, you can use the bags separately in the warmth of summer, if that ever becomes a need.

DC

A sleeping bag is NOT what you want to buy cheap. It is not a one time hotel room, it is an INVESTMENT in many comfortable nights. So if you have to eat ramon noodles on this trip, buy a better bag.

That said, Big Agnes may fit the bill for you: extra room and lighter because no insulation on the bottom. But that means you have to have a quality pad. That is another area you don't want to skimp on.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

In cold weather I have solved my freezing at night by getting some regular hand warmer/toe warmers and slipping them into a dry pair of socks at bedtime. Once my feet feel warm it seems to warm up everything else. So get the best bag you can afford and then go buy a pack of warmers to keep you toasty.

Oh, I also wear a beanie, which keeps all the heat from going out of my exposed head. (bald guys really have an issue with that)!

>A sleeping bag is NOT what
>you want to buy cheap.
> It is not a
>one time hotel room, it
>is an INVESTMENT in many
>comfortable nights. So if
>you have to eat ramon
>noodles on this trip, buy
>a better bag.
>

+1
I made the investment in 1999-Marmot 0 degree down bag with a goretex shell.Last year I sent it back to have it professionally cleaned. Marmot added more down to the bag, cleaned it and put a new zipper-ALL FREE OF CHARGE. I basically have a brand new bag, 15 years later. Marmot is the best IMO. Just like optics, buy once, cry once.

My Marmot- Never Summer -15 down bag was $180, Kelty- Tundra 15+ syn. was $65.
Both on sale and excellent bags.I'm 6'2"/190 and I have plenty of room.
Take a trip to some backpack store and try one out. North Face,Sierra Design,Mountain Hardware,Marmot,Kelty all make great bags.
Then find that bag on sale or close out,usually online. Sierra Trading Post,Campmore,REI have deals. I also have a Cabellas bag I got real cheap in Bargain Basement.
You don't have to skimp on quality to save $/Wt.,but don't go half-a$$ed into the wild. Same with tents or boots,IMHO.

Go with marmot and don't look back. I went through this same situation last year. No matter what bags I looked at it was the same be, light/expensive, heavy/cheap. Find the bag that has everything you want then look for that bag on sale. I scored on my bag, but it took me a few months to find the right deal.

+1 on the hand warmers and beanie. I do the same and I sleep great. A good pad is a must as well!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom