Splitting up points

quest

Very Active Member
I wish utah would allow you to split up your points when you apply. This might end point creep… probably not. Example say I want to put in said unit that only takes 4 points and I have 8 I’d only loose 4 points. What your thoughts go or no-go?

No go for me. That definitely doesn't help point creep if you are maintaining some number of points even after drawing a tag.

If you draw a tag, your points are gonzo. No getting your cake and eating it too.

I actually think one of the best moves would be to simply make all points the same. No more bonus points for LE tags, preference points for general tags, etc.. A point is a point and you have to choose how to use them. All deer tags for the most part are "limited entry" already (i.e., draw tags), so just make people choose whether they will wait 25-30+ years for a premier unit or 1-2 points on a low tier unit that is currently a "general" unit.

No go for me. That definitely doesn't help point creep if you are maintaining some number of points even after drawing a tag.

If you draw a tag, your points are gonzo. No getting your cake and eating it too.

I actually think one of the best moves would be to simply make all points the same. No more bonus points for LE tags, preference points for general tags, etc.. A point is a point and you have to choose how to use them. All deer tags for the most part are "limited entry" already (i.e., draw tags), so just make people choose whether they will wait 25-30+ years for a premier unit or 1-2 points on a low tier unit that is currently a "general" unit.
This is fantastic idea, I’ve been hoping for this for years.

The only thing that can end point creep is with more tags available. Its like paying down debt. Right now, there are only enough bonus tags to cover a portion of the individuals in the top bonus pools. So you pay it down with the minimum payment, but the interest makes it higher next time around... and interest rates are high.

So what about you put in for unit and it only takes so many pts and you get back what you didn’t need to draw?

I thought so. Hope it has a happy ending too.
You can always hope
IMG_1441.jpeg

So what about you put in for unit and it only takes so many pts and you get back what you didn’t need to draw?
That means you used more points than were needed. Wasted points? No, just made sure you had enough points to draw. The other thing you can do is share your points with a family member that me be short a few points and go in together.

But splitting points when points are extra will do nothing to eliminate point creep. It will only make it worse.

There is a waiting period after you draw the tag. Are you proposing to keep your points through the waiting period?

These all good questions. I’m thinking about someone who’s puts in for years and has all these points but not enough for the top unit and is pretty old and just wants to hunt. Is it wrong to be able to split these points up and maybe get a couple of hunts in?

These all good questions. I’m thinking about someone who’s puts in for years and has all these points but not enough for the top unit and is pretty old and just wants to hunt. Is it wrong to be able to split these points up and maybe get a couple of hunts in?
That's not how we reduce point creep and move people thru the drawa

I do agree with you on sharing points. I’ve done this in the past. Maybe we can more than 2 options?

Hunters are just buying points every year with no plan or objective to use them, and then complain that they can’t hunt the Henry’s because they finally have someone show them the math involved in point creep. If you acquired a shitload of points and don’t know what to do with them , that would be your own fault.

Sure that makes sense. I had a brother that had a ton of points and did try to dump his points with his son on a different unit but it didn’t work out for him. It’s the luck of the draw.

Hunters are just buying points every year with no plan or objective to use them, and then complain that they can’t hunt the Henry’s because they finally have someone show them the math involved in point creep. If you acquired a shitload of points and don’t know what to do with them , that would be your own fault.

Which is why I'm cashing in on less "desirable" hunts and units. Never really had the intent to use them on the premium ones.

I'm glad UT has a hybrid-type of point system.

Which is why I'm cashing in on less "desirable" hunts and units. Never really had the intent to use them on the premium ones.

I'm glad UT has a hybrid-type of point system.
Exactly. Me as well. I’ll hold onto points in a few situations hoping someday I get lucky, but most of my points are going to hunts I know I can draw every few years.

Quest: help me understand how keeping points after drawing a tag will HELP point creep. What am I missing?

The same amount of tags are given every year despite points or random. Just use your points on a lesser units instead of chasing premium units.

I don’t care how Utah runs their point systems or if they got rid of points altogether. I am going to adapt to whatever system is in place and hunt!

As for my opinion on it being a fair system or not, it is as fair as any other state if your educated how the system works.

I wish utah would allow you to split up your points when you apply. This might end point creep… probably not. Example say I want to put in said unit that only takes 4 points and I have 8 I’d only loose 4 points. What your thoughts go or no-go?
“Only takes” it takes as many as someone has when they draw. How would you determine how many points it takes to draw a hunt in this scenario?

What it would do is keep point requirements at bay, for awhile anyway. It's when the point usage is an all or nothing that causes hunts to go up in point requirements.

If a hunt takes 4 points in year 1, and there is no splitting points, it doesn't take long for that same hunt to begin taking 5, then 6, until it reaches 22 eventually. People pool hop when they realize they can't draw the hunt they wanted and change the point requirements going forward.

Splitting points will also keep players in the game longer instead of zeroing out when they draw.

Splitting points sucks I know people who abuse the system by putting friends relatives who never even plan on hunting in there just to purchase licenses for them and use their points when they do draw

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom