Tag numbers on new late muzz deer tags

coyoteslayer

Does anybody know the approximate tag numbers for these new Hunts? Are we talking 2 or 3 tags per unit or more like 10 to 20. Thx

At the Central RAC meeting we ask the DWR how many they would recommend and they said maybe 2-3. I am very uneasy with having any "rut" tags. It seems that the deer numbers are on the increase because of 2 light winters in a row and it looks like we will have another one this year. A "rut" hunt will certainly take out some very big bucks. Its just another "Premium" hunt opportunity for sure. There's good and bad that goes along with this type of hunt. A lot depends on how many tags they allot and if they increase the tag price.....

Nebo,
Even if the tags were up to 50 there is very little impact on the herd with the success rate of the muzz hunt. 3-4 'good deer' taken out of these hunts is nothing compared to the effects of the extended hunts on the Wasatch.

I'm not in the deer pool, but I really like this idea. I don't think a handful of rut tags per unit will negatively impact any of the units being discussed.

Maybe if I could ever draw my elk tag, I could start building deer points!

What all these special hunts like governer tags, sportsmens tags, special rut hunts and so on do is destroy the regular hunters chances for a trophy.
It adds up over time, a few here a few there, posse hunts, game cameras, long range weapons, trophy outfitters, ect.

The young hunters these days have no idea what they have lost because of all this, but some of us know.
The only good thing is that we can all see the pictures of those trophys on the internet

I kind of like the idea as long as they keep the numbers very low as long as it comes out of the limited entry pool. It will spread the applications out thus making it easier to draw the old standard limited entry units. I would like to see them include a lot of the other units such as the Monroe, etc and even include a separate late hunt for the limited entry units.

More choices for what you feel lucky at, whether it is to be alone at that chance for the monster which would be twice as hard to draw.

A little humor side note here which wouldn't happen but:
"NO GUIDED HUNTS ALLOWED".

Nebo, I don't consider this new muzzy hunt a "rut" hunt at all! It starts 3 days after the GS rifle hunt ends. How does 72 hours at the end of October magically make it a rut hunt? I never knew the bucks waited until the morning after the GS hunt ends to start rutting. Sure a few bucks with swollen necks and their nose up a does butt will be killed but the exact same thing happens on the GS hunt. IMO a "rut" hunt would be around the end of November to the beginning of December.

Piper, These muzzy hunts do not take away a regular hunters chance at a big buck. It helps the so called regular hunter. These permits are in addition to the tags allocated for the GS hunts. No tags will be cut from the GS to make up for these extra tags, which means more opportunity not less.

Coyote, No one will know how many tags will be given out until after the draw deadline. At the RAC meeting they said it would be a few but my guess is there will be at least 10 in each unit. The reason I feel that way is the proclamation states that at least one NR tag will be available, in order for that to happen there has to be at least 10 tags total.

Great post, sums up my thoughts exactly.

2a0fcsk.gif

If its not considered a rut hunt then why are they doing it ? That's exactly the reason-- because it is at the beginning of the rut. The DWR proposed this hunt so the lucky hunters who draw this hunt would have a higher chance of seeing and harvesting a bigger buck. They openly said that. One other reason was that on some units, those hunters might be able harvest bucks on their migration out of the state. Killing 10 mature bucks would certainly have an impact on some local areas.

Nebo,the main reason given for these hunts was to add more tags to units that are exceeding post season buck to doe objectives. By having the hunts the week following the general season, they can give more tags and not add to overcrowding on the general hunts. By making it a limited entry hunt they can help with the bonus point jam. If you look at the season dates this year it really only goes a few days into Nov. Not really a rut hunt. Some years there could be weather to push more deer into lower country but that happens in oct sometimes anyway. Im speaking about the Zion unit Its the one Im familiar with. I think it could handle 50 to a 100 tags nicely.

Around my end of the state there is a chance that the bucks are starting to rut around Nov 5-8. Still not a slam dunk as huntin said. Trying to sneak on a buck with a smokepole when they are surrounded by does isn't as easy as it seems.

Yes that was one of the reasons. Thanks for mentioning that. They did say that it could happen in all units-- not just the ones with over objective buck/doe ratios. If a unit can handle more harvest then I see no problem. I'm just not convinced that we really do have an over abundance of bucks. Having those additional tags after the general season is without any doubt, to help out a tag holder who draws one a better opportunity to harvest a mature buck. Its really just another LE type hunt.

When I attended the SR RAC meeting the DWR clearly stated this hunt would only occur on units the are over their b/d ratio. That is why only these 6 units were chosen. Of course they are a LE type hunt, thats why it is set up the way it is(bonus points not preference points).
Just out of curiosity nebo, What does the price of the tag have to do with whether this hunt is good or bad? The cost is $80 just like any other LE tag. Is that good or bad?

I thought that the intent of dividing the state up into micro units for general deer was due to complaints of overcrowding and no mature bucks. So, now you have the first 6 units that exceed the buck to doe ratio so they add another hunt to kill off the extra bucks. Do ou see the irony of this. This tells me that as soon as a general unit recovers they are going to kill off the extra deer. Sad,

Rich

>I thought that the intent of
>dividing the state up into
>micro units for general deer
>was due to complaints of
>overcrowding and no mature bucks.
>So, now you have the
>first 6 units that exceed
>the buck to doe ratio
>so they add another hunt
>to kill off the extra
>bucks. Do ou see the
>irony of this. This tells
>me that as soon as
>a general unit recovers they
>are going to kill off
>the extra deer. Sad,
>
>Rich

There's nothing ironic or sad about it. General units are managed for opportunity, not trophy deer and these additional hunts reflect that. When a general unit "recovers" (exceeds it's buck to doe ratio) then we're SUPPOSED to kill off the extra buck deer to bring the buck to doe ratio back down to the designated ratio. That's what the plan calls for!

The tag price may only last this year. The DWR is required to get approval for any tag increase from the legislature. They didn't have time to get approval for this next season. So, there may be an increase in 2016. Same thing for the multi-season tags for LE deer units, the tag price will be the same as a single season tag for this year but will most likely increase for 2016.

get a extra deer in a unit or two, and the dwr wants ta to sell 5 or 6 tags ,same old bull shizz!!!!!!

JUDAS!

F'N!

PRIEST!

Now elkun?

You gonna believe me one of these days on who the Biggest Predator of them all is?

I'll give you a Hint!

It ain't the kitty!

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

I'm sure there are plenty of people in the LE Bonus Point log jam that will burn a few points to hunt a "rut hunt" with a smoke pole. My favorite hunt as a kid was to go with my dad and family members on the late season muzzy hunt. Snow on the ground, rutting bucks (albeit small ones)... It was a blast.

I'm glad to see the opportunity return. And even if success rates are 100% for these hunts, it's probably only going to be another 10 bucks out of those herds... I'm sure the herd can sustain those numbers.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

As though 4, 5, & 6 doesn't already get enough hunting pressure. The unit is over 90% private, so damn near all the people are in one of two areas. After GS, you have all the extended hunters back in there. So this area gets hit from August to December. Sure, lets give out more tags in this area that has been hit harder than h**ker in Vegas after valentine's day.

Having hunted this unit the last two years, I wonder where they are seeing so many bucks. I've seen quite a few bucks in this unit, but nothing that shows that it exceeds objective. Tons of does, not that many bucks (from my experiences).

All these "trophy bucks" must be on public land. Hope the "lucky guys" who get these tags have access to some private property.

Just sayin.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom