Tag transfer to grandson

highcountryhays

Seems like I heard Utah was considering letting you transfer a drawn tag to a youth. I am wondering if it is a possibility now or in the future. I have a grandson 16 years old I would have even more enjoyment letting him hunt on the Henry Management tag I drew.

I could see this being a positive and a negative.

I could see on a case by case basis it being a good thing if someone fell ill or whatever.

But look at it like this Utah is also relatively inexpensive to apply for so now you have every mom dad grandma and grandpa applying who never applied previously so that their sweet little Johnny can get a tag.

LAST EDITED ON May-18-13 AT 01:45PM (MST)[p]I was only looking at the positive side. We were never able to draw a junior hunt for my grandson. With the point system, he probably would have to get unbelievably lucky to pull a tag. I waited 16 years and I thought it would be a great experience. I am 64 and he is 16. It would be something special for the both of us.

The law passed. Contact the SLC DNR Office and they will help you with the transfer. I like the possibility of a youth hunter actually having a chance to draw.
Tell him to kill a GIANT management buck for all of us!

www.hightopoutfitters.com

>The law passed. Contact the SLC
>DNR Office and they will
>help you with the transfer.
>I like the possibility of
>a youth hunter actually having
>a chance to draw.
>Tell him to kill a GIANT
>management buck for all of
>us!
>
>www.hightopoutfitters.com

I searched high and low on the Utah DWR webpage with out finding any news release or any information saying this rule passed. I would be very interested in reading the language of this rule because I think its just going to create more problems than it will help.

QUOTE: {But look at it like this Utah is also relatively inexpensive to apply for so now you have every mom dad grandma and grandpa applying who never applied previously so that their sweet little Johnny can get a tag.}

Good! Maybe this will force the BGB into changing the extensive permit point creep and force a one only draw which will treat every Mule Deer unit as a limited area unit. This would make everyone decide whether they wanted to hunt every year or nearly so or just how much of a sacrifice each hunter is willing take for a more quality hunt. I'll bet by doing so would one half the wait for a premium hunt.

We received a copy of the legislation at the law enforcement yearly legal update. You should be able to look at it soon or contact the SLC DNR and see if they have a copy send you.

Yes, the law passed, BUT,,,
It was my understang that it now has to go through the
RAC/Board prosses and define how/who/and were details ...

I was told by a DWR 'person' it could be 1-2 years before
this law would be refinded and in the Guide books/field regs ..

Hope I'm wrong, but, I was led to believe 2014 would be the
absolut earlest this would/could happen.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

He might get just as much enjoyment just going with you, include him in the scouting trips and the hunt, spend some time with him and im sure he will enjoy some quality time with you.

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

>QUOTE: {But look at it like
>this Utah is also relatively
>inexpensive to apply for so
>now you have every mom
>dad grandma and grandpa applying
>who never applied previously so
>that their sweet little Johnny
>can get a tag.}
>
>Good! Maybe this will force
>the BGB into changing the
>extensive permit point creep and
>force a one only draw
>which will treat every Mule
>Deer unit as a limited
>area unit. This would
>make everyone decide whether they
>wanted to hunt every year
>or nearly so or just
>how much of a sacrifice
>each hunter is willing take
>for a more quality hunt.
> I'll bet by doing
>so would one half the
>wait for a premium hunt.

Blah, blah, blah...Point creep. Do you feel it would be right for a 16 year old to be hired at your employer at the same wage it took you 20 years to earn?? How would you feel if this 16 year old grandpa owned the company and he hired his grandson at the same wage? This is exactly what is happening with this tag transfer nonsense. The kid has not earned the right to get a tag of that caliber. If your young enough to say I will never draw a premium tag then your young enough to hike your tail off for a giant in another unit. Quit crying about point creep and the "unfairness". Its designed to reward the hunters who have applied for years and years.

BTW: doesn't the youth and elderly get preference on the Henry management tags?

from what i was told by a board member is yes the law passed but it has to go through the racs board and dwr for review and determine if there will be limiting factors. Example was if a person was diagnosed with an illnes that he/she could die from or permit them from hunting that person could choose to turn it back or transfer it to a youth living within the house hold. Also said don't expect to see it done this year but maybe as early as next.

I still hold fast to my original thoughts about tag transfers: CAN-0-WORMS! Enough said!
Zeke

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom