Tech #2

slamdunk

Since my original thread turned into exactly what I had hoped it wouldn't (I'm guilty as well) I'll post some tools we as a committee are using for our "Proposals".

As stated in the Mission Statement, more opportunity is the focus. "More Opportunity" means potentially increasing tags through lower success rates AND better quality aged animals in the future.

A potential future tag Increase does NOT mean our hills will soon be flooded with more hunters, we all should know these and other changes made across the board are subtle and also take years to see a measurable impact.

And if and when we ever see an increase in tags, that means things are turning around which is what everyone wants to see, from hunters to management.
Screenshot_20220709-083031_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
Screenshot_20220709-083016_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
Screenshot_20220709-082958_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
Screenshot_20220709-082931_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
Screenshot_20220709-082916_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
Screenshot_20220709-082902_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
Screenshot_20220709-082824_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
Screenshot_20220709-082807_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
Screenshot_20220709-082747_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
Screenshot_20220709-082721_Hancom Office Editor.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Slam. I don't think we got archery and muzzleloader LE elk. Slide 2 are duplicates from slides already in the OP.

More opportunity = less success = Hunters pissed off.
I dare say the overwhelming Majority of hunters want to be successful when they draw a tag, especially a LE or OIL tag.
General season deer and elk maybe not as much but most still want a critter in the freezer. (And really, this is what hunting is about)

The only thing limiting Tech is going to do is shift WHO kills the critters.

Limiting Tech is a knee jerk rection from an entitled Wildlife Board member that got his feelers hurt when they took away his trail camaras. And just like I said, he will still be able to kill his big deer on his private property and not be affected one bit. the "Who" that this affects is the guy or gal that heads out for a two-day weekend on public land to hunt.

@elkantlers
It may be a reaction yes, but one that should have been looked at a decade ago like every state around us did, we are just behind.

I still guarantee that in the end, Utah will still have the loosest regulations in the west.
It was less than a decade ago that the WB made variable power scope on Muzzleloaders legal. There was a big push to leave the 1x scope law in place back then and the DWR came out and said that the success rate would not increase enough to worry about, and the board passed it. In fact, the current WB President was one that spoke out in favor of allowing the Variable power scopes and voted in favor of allowing them.
Now, they want to go back to the way it was even though the DWR was correct in that success rates really aren't much better than when the 1x scopes were the law.

Last edited:
This is they way I see this whole thing.

What have we honestly done to try and grow our deer herd back?

back in the early 90's we cut how many tags

1992 there was 228,747 tags issued.
2020 there was only 76,962 tags issued
2022 We cut even more.

So elkantler you want to talk about over populated there you go.
I hunted back in those days and nobody complained in the area I hunted.
The best time to hunt back then was weekdays.

So we have tried everything
Millions of dollars in habitat restoration projects.
Millions of dollars in bridges fences walkways for wildlife.

For everyone that say's cut tags that will help. Beep wrong answer look at what we have already done. We still can't grow a herd.
What is the one thing we haven't tried well Pretty simple Technology.

I'm all in Slam if they want me to hunt with a recurve/ flint lock/ rifle with open sights or a fix power scope I'm in.

Will it help! To be honest with you I don't know.
I said on the other post it wouldn't but in reality I don't know. there is no data to back it up yet.

I think there is one thing that would save some deer and that is what Wyoming and Colorado does.
You have to be X amount of Feet off any road before you can discharge a firearm.

A lot of deer are harvested from roads and atv trails just something to think about.

Have those success rates been compared to population estimates?
Many variables were pointed out by the committee about these stats.

As for muzzleloader as an example only, these stats do not reflect, prove or disprove deer being taken at "excessive" distances in which muzzleloader hunts were intended for, but we all know they are.

Last edited:
Sure sounds like lions, coyotes and bears do a number on the deer. I believe they sell spot and stalk lion tags that coincide with the rifle deer correct? I also think they have increased Bear tags. I give them credit for trying. Hard to keep coyote numbers down. I'm willing to try anything.

Sure sounds like lions, coyotes and bears do a number on the deer. I believe they sell spot and stalk lion tags that coincide with the rifle deer correct? I also think they have increased Bear tags. I give them credit for trying. Hard to keep coyote numbers down. I'm willing to try anything.
It scares me knowing a guy like you is in the education system and is so disconnected with reality.

The DWR needs to come up with Tech regulations if we don't some day the projectile that comes from your weapon will be satellite guided, do we really want that to be part of the hunting arsenal.
I have heard hunters say these tech regulations can not be enforced or at least be severely limited at enforcing, I think it was grizz that pointed out on the other Tech thread that when lead shot was made illegal for hunting waterfall hunters said the same thing(not exactly how he said it I paraphrased). I know around where i waterfowl hunt it did not take long for a few tickets being handed out and hunters started respecting the law.

The DWR needs to come up with Tech regulations if we don't some day the projectile that comes from your weapon will be satellite guided, do we really want that to be part of the hunting arsenal.
I have heard hunters say these tech regulations can not be enforced or at least be severely limited at enforcing, I think it was grizz that pointed out on the other Tech thread that when lead shot was made illegal for hunting waterfall hunters said the same thing(not exactly how he said it I paraphrased). I know around where i waterfowl hunt it did not take long for a few tickets being handed out and hunters started respecting the law.
Our military is breeding grounds for hunting technology, it's mind blowing what is coming down the pipe that you'll see on Cabela's shelves in the near future as long as we allow it.

Many variables were pointed out by the committee about these stats.

As for muzzleloader as an example only, these stats do not reflect, prove or disprove deer being taken at "excessive" distances in which muzzleloader hunts were intended for, but we all know they are.
Yes they are Slam.
I watched a video the other day on an Elk shot at 420 yards with a Muzzleloader and dropped it right in his tracks. so we all know they are shooting deer at that distance and even further.

When they passed the law allowing scopes the tech world stepped in. Now we have 800 yard muzzleloaders for what reason. pretty simple to be able to take the shot if needed without any effort at all.
My opinion we have lost our way.
hunting is definitely not the way it use to be.

Can you give some personal insight on how these meetings happen? What tech is being looked at next? Can we narrow it down a bit? You mentioned you voted against more archery restriction, what else is currently being discussed? Thank you for your work.

Can you give some personal insight on how these meetings happen? What tech is being looked at next? Can we narrow it down a bit? You mentioned you voted against more archery restriction, what else is currently being discussed? Thank you for your work.
We've discussed archery and muzzleloader so far, rifles and other technology is in the next meeting.

It's been extremely difficult to even try wording a mission statement correctly which took almost an entire 4 hour meeting because of how large the committee is and all the individual minds.
And trying to distinguish what is a "primitive weapon" was brain boiling to say the least.

We've got a very long road ahead in these "proposals", but we are trying hard to give them to the board by September in which they will present them to the RAC's and go from there.

I can assure you one thing, this committee isn't trying to dismantle everything out there. We all have employed technology into our own weapon choices to some degree.

We are simply a seperate entity addressing the bigger problem of both declining herd numbers and quality.

There are several other committees tackling other areas of concern, including private lands, elk issues, deer issues and hunt dates.

Collectively, we are all working together for the same end result that we all want going forward.

We've discussed archery and muzzleloader so far, rifles and other technology is in the next meeting.

It's been extremely difficult to even try wording a mission statement correctly which took almost an entire 4 hour meeting because of how large the committee is and all the individual minds.
And trying to distinguish what is a "primitive weapon" was brain boiling to say the least.

We've got a very long road ahead in these "proposals", but we are trying hard to give them to the board by September in which they will present them to the RAC's and go from there.

I can assure you one thing, this committee isn't trying to dismantle everything out there. We all have employed technology into our own weapon choices to some degree.

We are simply a seperate entity addressing the bigger problem of both declining herd numbers and quality.

There are several other committees tackling other areas of concern, including private lands, elk issues, deer issues and hunt dates.

Collectively, we are all working together for the same end result that we all want going forward.
Good info thank you! I'm sure it is a process to get anything agreed on. Any additional insight or transparency on the muzzleloader and archery discussion would be much appreciated. Thanks again for keeping us informed.

Stay in Alaska
Thanks notdonhunting. SS just tries to get under everyone's skin. From his posts and pictures it is easy to deduce that he is much tougher online than in real life. If we were face to face he would sing a different tune. You know it and I know it. Just as importantly he knows it. I refuse to respond to him unless it is constructive. Watch he will come say something, and I will ignore him like always. It drives him nuts!!!?

If
Thanks notdonhunting. SS just tries to get under everyone's skin. From his posts and pictures it is easy to deduce that he is much tougher online than in real life. If we were face to face he would sing a different tune. You know it and I know it. Just as importantly he knows it. I refuse to respond to him unless it is constructive. Watch he will come say something, and I will ignore him like always. It drives him nuts!!!?
If Bigwiffy is correct it might be in Russian.?

Another post where you type about chit you don’t know about.

The fact your a principal shows the massive failure in our education system.

I believe in Idaho you can use your deer permit on a Lion or Bear. Maybe this is something Utah should look at doing.

Slam is correct.
This is a big year for Utah . There is a lot of thing being looked at.
We all need to quit bickering and put our heads together. I’m just as much to blame for this.

Ideas is what Slam needs.
Just remember one thing what do you actually NEED to go hunting.

So come on give the man some ideas right or wrong.

My ideas right or wrong are simple.

Limit bows to 60 yards this is very easy fix.

Rifle 3x9 scopes no turret no drop compensation.

Muzzleloader open sights or 1x scope’s

We already have a rule you can’t shoot from a vehicle or atv but lots of people still do it so I feel like to eliminate or fix this problem.
The law should be you have to be 30 ft off of any road before you can shoot period.

There you go Slam I did my part.

Yes they are Slam.
I watched a video the other day on an Elk shot at 420 yards with a Muzzleloader and dropped it right in his tracks. so we all know they are shooting deer at that distance and even further.

When they passed the law allowing scopes the tech world stepped in. Now we have 800 yard muzzleloaders for what reason. pretty simple to be able to take the shot if needed without any effort at all.
My opinion we have lost our way.
hunting is definitely not the way it use to be.
What is the energy and velocity of the bullet at 420 yards? And I really want to know what it is at 800 yard? Please tell me the facts.

What is the energy and velocity of the bullet at 420 yards? And I really want to know what it is at 800 yard? Please tell me the facts.
The facts are right there in your question.

What matters is what has really changed since they allowed scope on muzzleloader.

You and I both know what has happened you just pointed it to all out to all of us
420 yards
800 yards
That’s what happened
Put a 1x scope on and then what do you have.

Last edited:
This is they way I see this whole thing.

What have we honestly done to try and grow our deer herd back?

back in the early 90's we cut how many tags

1992 there was 228,747 tags issued.
2020 there was only 76,962 tags issued
2022 We cut even more.

So elkantler you want to talk about over populated there you go.
I hunted back in those days and nobody complained in the area I hunted.
The best time to hunt back then was weekdays.

So we have tried everything
Millions of dollars in habitat restoration projects.
Millions of dollars in bridges fences walkways for wildlife.

For everyone that say's cut tags that will help. Beep wrong answer look at what we have already done. We still can't grow a herd.
What is the one thing we haven't tried well Pretty simple Technology.

I'm all in Slam if they want me to hunt with a recurve/ flint lock/ rifle with open sights or a fix power scope I'm in.

Will it help! To be honest with you I don't know.
I said on the other post it wouldn't but in reality I don't know. there is no data to back it up yet.

I think there is one thing that would save some deer and that is what Wyoming and Colorado does.
You have to be X amount of Feet off any road before you can discharge a firearm.

A lot of deer are harvested from roads and atv trails just something to think about.
I’m by no means an expert on this subject but from my point of view one of the biggest problems facing our herds has to do with Pressure!! These animals have no time to rest or recoup. Starting in August there being hunted Continuously until December. Then there being chased all over there winter range (what’s left of it). Then they get chased until there horns come off. Then it’s shed hunting time! Then we start scouting for the next season the second they start any growth. And then the cycle starts over unfortunately!! I feel they have enough pressure just staying alive from predators, disease, drought, encroachment, etc. That us as sportsmen don’t need to be compounding the issues.

In 1992 there were 228,747 tags issued. Of those probably 180,000 hunted the first two days and called it a hunt. The bow and muzzleloader hunt were not anything like they are today. Shed hunting was very minimal. Scouting was showing up to glass the night before opener. Very little pressure on the animals in 1992. (Except for the two days a year they had to hide from the pumpkin patch). Easier to escape two days rather than 365.

If opportunity is what we’re after I feel you could actually add tags if you cut down on all the different hunts that are out there. These animals are being hunted 4-5 months straight.

I do feel technology has gotten out of control but I also feel that animals have been able to adapt to it a little. Archery hunt they’ve learned to stay 150 yards away. Muzzleloader 900 yards way and rifle 3 miles away unfortunately!! Being hunted 4-5 months a year and bumped year round is something I feel they haven’t and can’t adapt too. Just a few thoughts from my point of view.

I’m by no means an expert on this subject but from my point of view one of the biggest problems facing our herds has to do with Pressure!! These animals have no time to rest or recoup. Starting in August there being hunted Continuously until December. Then there being chased all over there winter range (what’s left of it). Then they get chased until there horns come off. Then it’s shed hunting time! Then we start scouting for the next season the second they start any growth. And then the cycle starts over unfortunately!! I feel they have enough pressure just staying alive from predators, disease, drought, encroachment, etc. That us as sportsmen don’t need to be compounding the issues.

In 1992 there were 228,747 tags issued. Of those probably 180,000 hunted the first two days and called it a hunt. The bow and muzzleloader hunt were not anything like they are today. Shed hunting was very minimal. Scouting was showing up to glass the night before opener. Very little pressure on the animals in 1992. (Except for the two days a year they had to hide from the pumpkin patch). Easier to escape two days rather than 365.

If opportunity is what we’re after I feel you could actually add tags if you cut down on all the different hunts that are out there. These animals are being hunted 4-5 months straight.

I do feel technology has gotten out of control but I also feel that animals have been able to adapt to it a little. Archery hunt they’ve learned to stay 150 yards away. Muzzleloader 900 yards way and rifle 3 miles away unfortunately!! Being hunted 4-5 months a year and bumped year round is something I feel they haven’t and can’t adapt too. Just a few thoughts from my point of view.
Good post

What matters is what has really changed since they allowed scope on muzzleloader.

You and I both know what has happened you just pointed it to all out to all of us
420 yards
800 yards
That’s what happened

You Really Want Me To Answer That?

You Have The Biggest POFT Ever Known To Man!

They Put More Power Than That On BB/Pellet Guns!

Why TF Would You Wanna DE-MAGNIFY Something?

The Average Tahn Eye is 1.5 Power!

Some Act Like a 1X Scope Is Something Special!

It's OK To Keep 10-12X Scopes On Rifles Though!

These stats confirm what I went and tabulated for the general deer units in Utah a few weeks ago on my own.

Allowing variable powered magnification scopes on muzzleloaders did NOT increase harvest rate on the muzzy hunt. I was surprised by that, but the data is the data.

If the goal of this committee is to limit technology so opportunity can increase, then taking magnification scopes off muzzleloaders doesn’t appear to be a real good solution for that.

I’m not a muzzleloader hunter anymore (it’s been over a decade since I had a muzzy tag), so any regulations there wouldn’t impact me either way. But I was interested in knowing, so I dug into the data. I was surprised by what I found. It definitely is not what I was expecting. I thought harvest rates would have gone up on muzzy hunts after the rule change. Looking across all the units, they have not increased since that change.

Hey Niller!

You See in alot of peoples Minds They Want Restrictions On SmokePoles!

You Can Bet Your Sweet Ass 75% of them Whinning Like Babies Don't Hunt With Them Nor Own One!

Thanks For The Info You Posted!

These stats confirm what I went and tabulated for the general deer units in Utah a few weeks ago on my own.

Allowing variable powered magnification scopes on muzzleloaders did NOT increase harvest rate on the muzzy hunt. I was surprised by that, but the data is the data.

If the goal of this committee is to limit technology so opportunity can increase, then taking magnification scopes off muzzleloaders doesn’t appear to be a real good solution for that.

I’m not a muzzleloader hunter anymore (it’s been over a decade since I had a muzzy tag), so any regulations there wouldn’t impact me either way. But I was interested in knowing, so I dug into the data. I was surprised by what I found. It definitely is not what I was expecting. I thought harvest rates would have gone up on muzzy hunts after the rule change. Looking across all the units, they have not increased since that change.

You Really Want Me To Answer That?

You Have The Biggest POFT Ever Known To Man!

They Put More Power Than That On BB/Pellet Guns!

Why TF Would You Wanna DE-MAGNIFY Something?

The Average Tahn Eye is 1.5 Power!

Some Act Like a 1X Scope Is Something Special!

It's OK To Keep 10-12X Scopes On Rifles Though!
Muzzleloader should of never had scopes on them in the first place and you know it.
Read post 33
Before you get all worked up.

Allow scopes on muzzleloaders, or don’t. It won’t matter to me much and that rule change a few years ago certainly wasn’t something the vast majority of the public favored. It was very controversial when it passed.

But if they take the scopes off, it should not be in the name of decreases success rates to allow more tags. Just call it what it is at that point, and I’m guessing you’ll get about a 50/50 split across the public.

Muzzleloader should of never had scopes on them in the first place and you know it.
Read post 33
Before you get all worked up.
Yeah yeah… and we should still be using rocks instead of 30x scopes on rifles and 100 yard slider sights on bows. Give me a break man, having scopes on muzzleloaders has not increased harvest rates, so in the end what does taking the scopes off really do to fix the problem?

The pressure put

The shed hunting/pressure put on the animals at such a critical point of their lives bothers me a little.
I think it is cool to find an old shed and taking it home is no big deal.
I do not like the commercial side of it though, I think it drives too many people to push the animals around for that prized chunk of brown bone.
I don’t think we need to ban shed hunting, but just like waterfowl, I do wish it was illegal to sell them.
Those animals need that critical time to just lay around doing nothing but resting and eating.
Commercialization ruins everything, look how it ruined Christmas!

The pressure put

The shed hunting/pressure put on the animals at such a critical point of their lives bothers me a little.
I think it is cool to find an old shed and taking it home is no big deal.
I do not like the commercial side of it though, I think it drives too many people to push the animals around for that prized chunk of brown bone.
I don’t think we need to ban shed hunting, but just like waterfowl, I do wish it was illegal to sell them.
Those animals need that critical time to just lay around doing nothing but resting and eating.
Commercialization ruins everything, look how it ruined Christmas!
Were you born stupid or did it just gradually happen?

A deer has never died in the history of mankind due to pressure from shed hunters.

Yeah yeah… and we should still be using rocks instead of 30x scopes on rifles and 100 yard slider sights on bows. Give me a break man, having scopes on muzzleloaders has not increased harvest rates, so in the end what does taking the scopes off really do to fix the problem?
If you have actual data to back up your claim post it up.

You are correct, and as I stated earlier these stats to not reflect what animals are being harvested at ranges past 200 yards, and there are a lot.

I am primarily a muzzleloader hunter, so don't think I am being biased.
Today's muzzleloaders are single shot rifles.

I agree with you on this Bess and I have actually reached out to an optometrist for an answer on the power of a human eye.
I also stressed to our committee that 1x de-magnifies our actual eyesight.
a straight 4x scope would be a good compromise of still being able to see well out to 100yds and not be really helpful at long ranges.

a straight 4x scope would be a good compromise of still being able to see well out to 100yds and not be really helpful at long ranges.
Great feedback.
I believe the average eye's see at 1.3x, but I'm trying to find a clinical answer.
Either way, there's not a scope offering of "true" sight.

Were you born stupid or did it just gradually happen?

A deer has never died in the history of mankind due to pressure from shed hunters.
Wow SS, are you so stupid you don’t even know how to read or even comprehend words that form sentences?
Please don’t take it out on me that the gym coach touched you inappropriately and it was all you could think about during reading comprehension class.
Did I even mention Deer dying by shed hunting?
I don’t even want shed hunting banned.
Please sit down, relax, read and then try to absorb what I wrote.
Not once did I say shed hunting is causing dead Deer.

You are correct, and as I stated earlier these stats to not reflect what animals are being harvested at ranges past 200 yards, and there are a lot.

They don’t reflect what animals are being harvested past 200 yards? Yeah, there’s animals being shot past 200 yards, but harvest statistics are virtually the same before allowing scopes. What’s getting rid of them do at this point? I’m all for finding ways to create more opportunity, and if that means limiting technology then so be it, but the data is pretty clear. If you want something to beat your drum about, put your efforts into something that might actually make a measurable change other than making a bunch of fudds feel like they accomplished something by getting rid of scopes.

1X Isn't a Secret on being a De-Magnification to the Average Tahn Eye!

I've Posted it for more than a Decade or Two!

Going By Bad Memory!

I Believe The Closest Guesstimate is That Most Tahns Have approx. 1.3X to 1.6X Eyes!

What Really Cracks Me Up is all the People that want SmokePoles Limited To De-Magnification 1X Scopes!

But They Scream for at least 10X Scopes for Their Long Range Rifles that are Shooting 3 Times Further Than They Ever Have!

Pony The F Up!

Recurves Only!

Flintlocks & Hawkens Only!

Open Sighted 30-30 Lever Actions Only!

Ya!

That Oughta Go Over Good!

If a 1x scope is a demagnification, leave it off and go open or peep sight. I've never seen anybody say a scope on a muzzleloader is mandatory.

I'm seriously interested in the decline, although small, in LE rifle Elk success rates? I'm told that the new LR rifles have made it so easy to kill anything, anywhere.

Are people being more picky about trophy size? Is the hunting really worse? Are people relying too much on tech, and not actually working on their hunting/shooting skills?

Or just an anomaly that will sort itself out with time?

They don’t reflect what animals are being harvested past 200 yards? Yeah, there’s animals being shot past 200 yards, but harvest statistics are virtually the same before allowing scopes. What’s getting rid of them do at this point? I’m all for finding ways to create more opportunity, and if that means limiting technology then so be it, but the data is pretty clear. If you want something to beat your drum about, put your efforts into something that might actually make a measurable change other than making a bunch of fudds feel like they accomplished something by getting rid of scopes.
You have missed a few key points that were made very clearly multiple times throughout these two threads.

"Quality" and "Fair Chase" both fall under the the criteria to make the recommendation of going back to 1x and complete removal of scopes on HAMS units.

If you don't feel a variable scope makes a difference on a muzzleloader, why are you so concerned about changing?

And I disagree on the stats because although the increase has been subtle, it doesn't show that people ARE killing better quality animals out past 200 yards......fact.

A muzzleloader wasn't originally intended or designed to shoot long range, they were a 200 yard weapon UNTIL we let technology extend them out to centerfire rifle ranges.

"Fair Chase" ethics are controversial yes, but are also individually specific to each weapon and should stay in line with their intended purposes.

If a 1x scope is a demagnification, leave it off and go open or peep sight. I've never seen anybody say a scope on a muzzleloader is mandatory.
For me, Even though the 1x is a demagnification I still prefer the cross hairs of the 1x scopes. My eyes just don't see opens sights very good.
If they do go to open sights only, I will make do. The elk in my avatar is proof of that.

Wow SS, are you so stupid you don’t even know how to read or even comprehend words that form sentences?
Please don’t take it out on me that the gym coach touched you inappropriately and it was all you could think about during reading comprehension class.
Did I even mention Deer dying by shed hunting?
I don’t even want shed hunting banned.
Please sit down, relax, read and then try to absorb what I wrote.
Not once did I say shed hunting is causing dead Deer.
I do agree with your comments, however I can tell you there are most definitely cases of animals being killed by shed hunting.
It's extremely rare yes, but not impossible.

Early spring 2018, Alpine Utah.
Big Wasatch bull being watched by shed hunter and a division officer was also watching this particular day.
Bull dropped one side, young shed hunter rushes up to pick it up which resulted in causing the bull to run hard into deep snow for a long distance and multiple witnesses watched the bull tip over stone dead from exhaustion, including DWR officer. He was charged with harassment of wildlife, but I was told they dropped the wanton destruction part of it.

As we all know, Utah has an ethics course that must be taken to get your permit.
If shed hunting and animal health wasn't a concern, there wouldn't be a course to begin with.

A 3x fixed is pretty useless at 200 yds. Try shooting an AR with a 3x fixed tactical scope at a 1'x1' square and you'll see why.

At 125 yds on a muzzleloader, though, and you can make a better and more precise shot resulting cleaner kills.

‐---‐------------------------------------------------------------------

The biggest reason there are problems with any of this is when people say "I'm good with that, it doesn't affect me in the least". Archery says that about rifle, rifle says that about archery, naturalists say that about hunters...

Here one for you slam. How about recommending that the dwr use their tech and make it mandatory reporting for everyone on every big game hunt. I seem to get the phone call from Fallon pretty regular which I'm fine with. However I know people who have never got one at all. Let's make it you don't report, you sit out of any big game hunting the next year, no point purchases either.

wounded rate?

Here one for you slam. How about recommending that the dwr use their tech and make it mandatory reporting for everyone on every big game hunt. I seem to get the phone call from Fallon pretty regular which I'm fine with. However I know people who have never got one at all. Let's make it you don't report, you sit out of any big game hunting the next year, no point purchases either.
I actually brought this up in our first meeting.
I would love nothing more than to see mandatory reporting with each tag sold, but they claim the random samples give them enough data for their models and the man power to go through thousands of them is unrealistic.
I still don't like the answer I received but it is what it is.

Their models have been stellar in the past haven't they. Just a few years ago their models said we had something like 3x the amount of deer we really have right? Manpower? Give me a break get with the times and imput that stuff into a computer, it will spit out the result in the end and one person can look at the results. All I heard in the response they gave you is "we don't want to know what is really going on".

I actually brought this up in our first meeting.
I would love nothing more than to see mandatory reporting with each tag sold, but they claim the random samples give them enough data for their models and the manpower to go through thousands of them is unrealistic.
I still don't like the answer I received but it is what it is.
When the DWR says this kind of stuff it makes me think they need some new IT staff because the ones that are there don't know what they are talking about.
I don't know why you would use a "model" of information when with a few mouse clicks they can have exact data.

Some great suggestions on this thread. I like being able to take a mountain lion with your deer permit. Open sights or low magnification on muzzleloaders. Rifles 3 to 9 power or even a fixed 4. I also might suggest to give out more archery and Muzzleloader tags and less rifle tags after these changes have been made. Also get the LE rifle elk hunt out of the rut already, goodness!

420 yards
800 yards
That’s what happened
Way to dodge my question!
It's clear you have no clue what the "effective range" of the average muzzleloader is.
What is "effective range" of a bullet anyway?
It's what's considered the distance at which a bullet will still cause terminal damage to the body of the animal, resulting in a quicker kill. This is determined by the velocity and energy of the bullet at a given distance.

Am I safe to guess that around 90% of your average joe muzzleloader hunters in Utah hunt with around 100 grains (by volume) of powder and a sabbot bullet weight of 250-290 grains.
This set up has an effective range at around 200 yards max.
I'm guessing less than 2% of Utahs muzzy hunters hunt with a magnum type rifle that has the effective range of over 400 yards. Why do you guys keep bringing up these crazy numbers like 800 yards?
I'm pretty sure less than 1% of all the hunters out there can make a clean kill shot at 800 yards, even with a rifle.
So I ask again, what is the effective range of most muzzleloaders?
What's the effective range of a magnum type muzzleloader?
Why are we sooo worried about the 1% that might be shooting farther than we like?
I can assure you that if scopes are removed from muzzleloaders,
the guys with high end magnum type muzzys will switch to high end peep sights and will still be killing things at 400+ yards.

If you want to limit distance on most muzzleloaders, limit the powder charge to 100 grains max(by volume) and sabbots, along with solid bore bullets used on 45 cal. muzzys to 200 gr. and 50 cal. to 250 gr. and 54 cal. to 300 gr.
Solid lead bullets can have no weight limit.
This would limit distance more than removing scopes.

Some great suggestions on this thread. I like being able to take a mountain lion with your deer permit. Open sights or low magnification on muzzleloaders. Rifles 3 to 9 power or even a fixed 4. I also might suggest to give out more archery and Muzzleloader tags and less rifle tags after these changes have been made. Also get the LE rifle elk hunt out of the rut already, goodness!
?????

Who knew the solution was letting people too cheap to pick up a lion tag use their deer tag on a lion!

That will get 3 lions killed. Progress!!!

@ridgetops
Good post and I agree that at least 90% are average 100gr powder charge guys, but the same can be argued with 100yd archery hunters and 800+ rifle hunters.

If restrictions aren't put into place, the scales will continue tipping, especially as quality continues to decline.
Lower quality breeds technology advances which compounds the very issue.

Why do so many Utahns want to run to Colorado and Idaho to have a crack at a better quality buck? Both those states have tight restrictions on muzzleloaders.
Irony or results?

A fixed 4 power for a rifle is a bit extreme, everything else makes sense.

The comment made earlier about BDC scopes is extreme also in that those are no different than multiple pins on a compound bow.

?????

Who knew the solution was letting people too cheap to pick up a lion tag use their deer tag on a lion!

That will get 3 lions killed. Progress!!!
You are 100% correct, killing three lions is progress!
It would save 100’s of Deer.
But it would not be Cougars alone, Bears would also be able to be killed using your Deer tag.
Now we are talking about saving 1000’s of Deer.

P.S. I regret and apologize SS for calling you stupid in my earlier post.
I over-reacted when you first called me stupid for something I did not even say.
It was immature of me and I hope you will forgive me please.
Shane

Way to dodge my question!
It's clear you have no clue what the "effective range" of the average muzzleloader is.
What is "effective range" of a bullet anyway?
It's what's considered the distance at which a bullet will still cause terminal damage to the body of the animal, resulting in a quicker kill. This is determined by the velocity and energy of the bullet at a given distance.

Am I safe to guess that around 90% of your average joe muzzleloader hunters in Utah hunt with around 100 grains (by volume) of powder and a sabbot bullet weight of 250-290 grains.
This set up has an effective range at around 200 yards max.
I'm guessing less than 2% of Utahs muzzy hunters hunt with a magnum type rifle that has the effective range of over 400 yards. Why do you guys keep bringing up these crazy numbers like 800 yards?
I'm pretty sure less than 1% of all the hunters out there can make a clean kill shot at 800 yards, even with a rifle.
So I ask again, what is the effective range of most muzzleloaders?
What's the effective range of a magnum type muzzleloader?
Why are we sooo worried about the 1% that might be shooting farther than we like?
I can assure you that if scopes are removed from muzzleloaders,
the guys with high end magnum type muzzys will switch to high end peep sights and will still be killing things at 400+ yards.

If you want to limit distance on most muzzleloaders, limit the powder charge to 100 grains max(by volume) and sabbots, along with solid bore bullets used on 45 cal. muzzys to 200 gr. and 50 cal. to 250 gr. and 54 cal. to 300 gr.
Solid lead bullets can have no weight limit.
This would limit distance more than removing scopes.
Ridge in all reality it doesn't matter!
I don't need to know any of that because I was taught differently.
I buy all my Ammo right off the shelf. So why do I need to know any of that stuff?

My furthest kill shot was on a deer that was 2 years ago. 415 yards with a rifle. The furthest on a Elk was 350 yards the rest all under 250 yards some under 100 yards.

My furthest kill was a deer on archery under 50 yards. My furthest elk kill was 18 yards.

My furthest elk kill with a muzzleloader 150 yards. all the rest where under that. I have never harvested a Deer with a Muzzy.

I have open sights on one muzzleloader. The other has a 1x fix scope.
I have never switched them over for two reasons why fix something that's not broke.

My 17 year old son has harvested 4 elk in 4 years of hunting 2 with Muzzloader, 2 with rifle and mind you his rifle is a 8mm Mauser open sights.

By the way this is all public land.

So it doesn't matter what weapon they hammer on me and my family will be just fine.

You are 100% correct, killing three lions is progress!
It would save 100’s of Deer.
But it would not be Cougars alone, Bears would also be able to be killed using your Deer tag.
Now we are talking about saving 1000’s of Deer.

P.S. I regret and apologize SS for calling you stupid in my earlier post.
I over-reacted when you first called me stupid for something I did not even say.
It was immature of me and I hope you will forgive me please.
Shane
You really think people are going to use their deer tag on a predator? Hahahahaha that’s hilarious! And that killing a few lions and black bears will make a difference? ?????

You want to save deer and elk? Pass out condoms to your fellow utards.

I’m sorry I got you all worked up leading you to overreact. I didn’t intend to hurt your feelings. I don’t care what you say to me, as I’m not a sissy like you are.

From what I've been hearing Idaho and Colorado are just as bad or maybe worse than Utah. I think they're mainly going there just for another opportunity. People who think all these restrictions will make a huge difference in quality, think again. How about looking a little harder for those trophies and stop trying to change the way everyone else hunts.

From what I've been hearing Idaho and Colorado are just as bad or maybe worse than Utah. I think they're mainly going there just for another opportunity. People who think all these restrictions will make a huge difference in quality, think again. How about looking a little harder for those trophies and stop trying to change the way everyone else hunts.
These changes AREN'T going to make huge changes, you are 100% correct and we all know that.

This committee and it's recommendations were summoned by the BGB as part of an ongoing effort to "collectively" have a positive impact on quality and opportunities ahead.

Absolutely none of these individual committees are a fix all by themselves, nor should they be viewed as such.

Agreed. But what we are seeing is that more deer are not being killed. They might be being killed from farther distances (no way to know this, but I'll assume it is true for purposes of the discussion), but decreasing those distances again won't help create more opportunity.

The same percentage of tags are getting filled either way, so we need a new reason to make this rule change, if it's made. It can't accurately be said in the name of increasing opportunity.

I'm fine if the Wildlife Board wants to say "We got it wrong when we allowed them in the first place and we are going to correct that now and prohibit magnification beyond X." But they should be open and transparent that it will NOT increase opportunity when they sell that policy change to the public. Just call it what it is and see how the public feels about it. I'm guessing the majority would support going back to the old rule, or some sort of 3X or 4X maximum on a muzzy.

@slamdunk what are the definitions you/they are using, or plan to use for each weapon type? What is primitive archery, what is current archery, and what do you classify as future archery technology? I appreciate the PM you sent as well.

Agreed. But what we are seeing is that more deer are not being killed. They might be being killed from farther distances (no way to know this, but I'll assume it is true for purposes of the discussion), but decreasing those distances again won't help create more opportunity.

The same percentage of tags are getting filled either way, so we need a new reason to make this rule change, if it's made. It can't accurately be said in the name of increasing opportunity.

I'm fine if the Wildlife Board wants to say "We got it wrong when we allowed them in the first place and we are going to correct that now and prohibit magnification beyond X." But they should be open and transparent that it will NOT increase opportunity when they sell that policy change to the public. Just call it what it is and see how the public feels about it. I'm guessing the majority would support going back to the old rule, or some sort of 3X or 4X maximum on a muzzy.
Excellent post, I like these types of responses, thank you.

In respect to what you just stated, when the stats were presented to the committee with the very argument you are stating, "Quality and Ethics" quickly took precedence over success rates.

No matter how we slice or dice it, the muzzleloader deer hunt was never intended to become an early season rifle hunt which is exactly what it is becoming.
And the better and easier the killing gets, the more popular it becomes and it snowballs from there.

Our two early season hunts were intended for "primitive weapons" because it's an easier time of year to hunt, and the abilities to kill were considered short range in their time of conception.
There is absolutely nothing "primitive" about these two weapons anymore.

As game and quality continues to decline, advances in technology will grow to meet the hunger and desire to harvest trophy animals.

When and where do we say "enough is enough"?

I do agree with your comments, however I can tell you there are most definitely cases of animals being killed by shed hunting.
It's extremely rare yes, but not impossible.

Early spring 2018, Alpine Utah.
Big Wasatch bull being watched by shed hunter and a division officer was also watching this particular day.
Bull dropped one side, young shed hunter rushes up to pick it up which resulted in causing the bull to run hard into deep snow for a long distance and multiple witnesses watched the bull tip over stone dead from exhaustion, including DWR officer. He was charged with harassment of wildlife, but I was told they dropped the wanton destruction part of it.

As we all know, Utah has an ethics course that must be taken to get your permit.
If shed hunting and animal health wasn't a concern, there wouldn't be a course to begin with.
I also know of a deer that died because of shed hunting pressure. This shed hunter had his dog with him and it took off chasing a deer. The deer came crashing down the mountain and tipped over dead. I actually talked to the guy, he felt terrible and said he didn't know they could be so exhausted. He said he was going to leave his dog home from now on. Sad deal.

Excellent post, I like these types of responses, thank you.

In respect to what you just stated, when the stats were presented to the committee with the very argument you are stating, "Quality and Ethics" quickly took precedence over success rates.

No matter how we slice or dice it, the muzzleloader deer hunt was never intended to become an early season rifle hunt which is exactly what it is becoming.
And the better and easier the killing gets, the more popular it becomes and it snowballs from there.

Our two early season hunts were intended for "primitive weapons" because it's an easier time of year to hunt, and the abilities to kill were considered short range in their time of conception.
There is absolutely nothing "primitive" about these two weapons anymore.

As game and quality continues to decline, advances in technology will grow to meet the hunger and desire to harvest trophy animals.

When and where do we say "enough is enough"?
It's Way Past that Point!

And Has Been For Decades!

But All of a Sudden/This Year We Gonna Fix it All!

Once Again:

Nothing Mentioned About Long Rangers!

Gotta HARP JUST on SmokePolers!

When We Get a Plan To Bring Back QUANTITY & QUALITY,Maybe,Just Maybe We could Offer More Opportunity!

The 'MORE OPPORTUNITY' Thing Is Getting Old!

We've Got Continuous & Over-Lapped Hunts Already & Have Had For a Very Long Time!

GAWD It'd Be Bad For a Mule Deer Buck To Live Past Age 3-1/2 Years Old in This State!

SMOKEPOLES With Scopes on Them Must Be The Only Reason!

Did You Tell Him If You Ever Seen That MUTT On The Mountain Again chasing Game You'd Put a Bullet In His F'N Dogs Beak?

I also know of a deer that died because of shed hunting pressure. This shed hunter had his dog with him and it took off chasing a deer. The deer came crashing down the mountain and tipped over dead. I actually talked to the guy, he felt terrible and said he didn't know they could be so exhausted. He said he was going to leave his dog home from now on. Sad deal.

BS

The muzzleloader example is exactly my reasoning for my thoughts and post in the last thread. You can take the scopes off, but what does it accomplish? The mission statement of the committee is certainly not met. It may decrease the avg harvest distance, feel good story I guess.

We need to not pass regulations off of emotion and feel goods.

I don't understand why people are so worried about the method of take amongst others. As long as it's legal, and to another degree ethical, who cares if someone is harvesting animals at 100 yards with a bow; 600 yards with a muzzy; or 1000 with a rifle? It sure as heck don't affect my enjoyment in the outdoors.

When it come to tech, this committee should be focusing their efforts to the type of tech coming down the pipeline.

I have no problem with more people being in the field. Looking for ways to increase opportunity is exactly what we should be doing. I just don't think tech is the main driver of doing so, unless it's adding new hunts with added restrictions. Then let people decide what route to take.

I have some out of the box ideas for increasing opportunity. However, they don't deal with tech so I'll leave it out of this post.

Ridge in all reality it doesn't matter!
I don't need to know any of that because I was taught differently.
I buy all my Ammo right off the shelf. So why do I need to know any of that stuff?

My furthest kill shot was on a deer that was 2 years ago. 415 yards with a rifle. The furthest on a Elk was 350 yards the rest all under 250 yards some under 100 yards.

My furthest kill was a deer on archery under 50 yards. My furthest elk kill was 18 yards.

My furthest elk kill with a muzzleloader 150 yards. all the rest where under that. I have never harvested a Deer with a Muzzy.

I have open sights on one muzzleloader. The other has a 1x fix scope.
I have never switched them over for two reasons why fix something that's not broke.

My 17 year old son has harvested 4 elk in 4 years of hunting 2 with Muzzloader, 2 with rifle and mind you his rifle is a 8mm Mauser open sights.

By the way this is all public land.

So it doesn't matter what weapon they hammer on me and my family will be just fine.
I'm glad you and your family will be just fine, so will mine.

My question is why then are you so worried how others do things? I get if there was data to back things, but I've yet to see it.

If we want more deer, we need more fawns to make it through their first year of life. Plain and simple. This is where I would start... address predation, because its easy to do. Forget the idea that a cougar or bear is a trophy that requires putting in and such... sell tags alongside all deer and elk permits. $5 to add it to your your deer or elk tag... make them a 'trophy of opportunity' then pay out a bounty to anyone who reports and verifies a kill like we do with coyotes. You raise money, kill a lot of predators, track the kills.. win-win-win. Suspend tags when predator numbers are low... why else do we have biologists.? ?

@slamdunk what are the definitions you/they are using, or plan to use for each weapon type? What is primitive archery, what is current archery, and what do you classify as future archery technology? I appreciate the PM you sent as well.
You're welcome Wiff, any time.

I like this question as well in regards to defining weapons.

Honestly, I was expecting a very long bloody battle over trying to define primitive versus modern.
Just as I pointed out a few times already, I believe (based off this committees response) Utah will stay relatively relaxed on archery and muzzleloaders in comparison to our surrounding states.

Several archers gave opinions on the available add ons and their effectiveness to extend ranges of an arrows ability to humanely kill a big game animal.
It was collectively agreed and voted upon that an arrow is still fired from a bow on a string and archery equipment is still a "short range" weapon.
Nothing will ever make an arrow effectively and accurately reach 200 yards simply due to natural elements.
Yes there will always be hale mary idiots out there, but unlike a muzzleloader bullet, an arrow is still a short range projectile.

Having said that, the committee voted a proposal to leave archery equipment alone other than anything electronic that aids in the killing of a big game animal such as a Garmin style sight for the sake of keeping it somewhat "primitive".
Lighted knocks were left alone because they aid in recovery.
Mechanical broadheads were discussed, but also dismissed.

Muzzleloaders were obviously hit on very hard, as they are seeing the most advancements out of the three.
Surrounding states muzzleloader criteria were studied and considered.
The vast amount of components available, powders, bullets, primers, etc, etc were all looked at but determined it is the magnification on optics that are driving the abilities to go further out than what a muzzleloader was initially intended to do.
Therefore this committee voted a proposal to limit scopes back to 1x but leave components alone.
As for defining it as primitive or modern, the committee voted a proposal to have HAMS hunts "scope free" on muzzleloading rifles as to define it as "primitive".

Rifles and other technology will be discussed in our next meeting.

People wanting my personal stance on these?
The archery and the muzzleloaders went exactly how I felt about them, but I would have been happy with no scopes on muzzleloaders, but I also can choose open sights at will, obviously.
I personally feel it was a good compromise.

As for rifles, until someone changes my mind, rifles were designed and intended as a long range weapon.
What I do not like is electronics on and inside scopes that automatically tell you your ballistics and where to hold.
It is quickly becoming a "aim and kill" game that completely removes our shooting skills and knowledge of both weapon and ballistics and turns an average or even below average skilled shooter into a long range military sniper.
Maybe I'm just old school, but I like to range it, do a quick equation and use my time on the range to make my shot.

Let's be realistic here.
We cannot legally limit ranges in which a specific weapon can attempt a kill shot.
People are always going to "lob" whatever they are shooting, but we can get back to using our natural abilities and our weapons abilities without completely tossing ethics and fair chase out the window of each weapon and season.

It's Way Past that Point!

And Has Been For Decades!

But All of a Sudden/This Year We Gonna Fix it All!

Once Again:

Nothing Mentioned About Long Rangers!

Gotta HARP JUST on SmokePolers!

When We Get a Plan To Bring Back QUANTITY & QUALITY,Maybe,Just Maybe We could Offer More Opportunity!

The 'MORE OPPORTUNITY' Thing Is Getting Old!

We've Got Continuous & Over-Lapped Hunts Already & Have Had For a Very Long Time!

GAWD It'd Be Bad For a Mule Deer Buck To Live Past Age 3-1/2 Years Old in This State!

SMOKEPOLES With Scopes on Them Must Be The Only Reason!
Rifles haven't been discussed in the meetings yet.....

Over lapping hunts aren't part of the technology committee.

Nothing will be fixed "all of the sudden".

Everything every committee and every conservation group is doing collectively is to help bring back both quality and overall herd numbers.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom