thyroid problems

STOMPER

I've got a serious question for those of you who have ever dealt with anyone with thyroid issues.

Apparently my wifes thyroid is dying. Shes definitely not herself and shes always sad. Im not worried about if or how fat she gets and that is her main concern. Im just wanting my wife back.

Monday the Dr. is suppose to call back and let us know exactly how we are suppose to move forward but at this point I cant give my wife any condolences. I can't reassure her about her weight and I can't do anything to make her happy. All she can see is that in the last 4 months shes gained probably close to 15 or 20 lbs and that in the last 2 weeks alone shes went up another pant size.

I can totally understand living your entire life and always being able to cut the weight when you wanted. Shes always been 5 feet at about 115 lbs. Just recently she tried slamdunks diet for 3 weeks. She went hard core and really put me to shame in the diet department. the end result after 3 weeks was a 3 lb gain. No she wasn't working out or doing cardio but shes never had problems with weight before. Im trying to tell her that after she starts her meds that diet, cardio, and exercise will definitely help her but shes not very convinced it will work. She has zero energy right now and zero happiness.

Last week I took her to vegas hoping some time away from the kids and some r and r would do her good. She had a miserable time and was unhappy the entire trip.

My wife has always seen life as full of unicorns, rainbows, butterflies and pretty clouds. She's always made me appreciate the simple things in life and has always brought me up when I was sad. Now shes a totally different person. I don't know what to tell my wife about her weight and frankly I don't give a $hit about her weight. I just want my wife back and I want her to be happy. I even tried telling her I will love a fat girl the rest of my life and be totally happy. Lets just say that wasn't the best thing to say.

What sux here is that I'm fighting a battle on two fronts. SHe's concerned with her weight. SHes reading all these internet sites of people with her thyroid problem and they all say the dr is full of crap and you will never loose the weight again..... the other front is that I want her happy. this absolutely sux. I want her happy but I want to tell her she won't be heavy also.

What do you guys think. Whats can she honestly expect in the weight department and what can I expect in the mental department. Will my wife get her happiness back?

Well Stinkbug!

Maybe that's my Problem rather than the DEW?}>

Now as We get Older:D We ain't gonna keep the Girlish Figures Forever!:D

CHEER Up QTPie!

Huntin season is just around the Corner!

And Remember what I've told you for years:

Diet = Die with a T!:D

The Dew I had for Breakfast wasn't Bad so I had one more for Dessert!:D

I have dealt with this myself, I had mine taken out 7yrs ago,and felt about the same as she did before I had it removed, I now rely on medication for the hormone levels ,my weight varies for myself, but as long as I keep my blood checked and medication in me I do fine. I know how she feels, and sorry to hear she is going through this,I hope she finds some resolve soon.

My sis has had that for years.

She in on an emotional roller coaster and goes from 50 lbs overwieght to her normal wieght depending on which medication she is on....

So sorry your family is going thru this medical issue.

Robb

My mother-in-law has had thyroid problems for 25+ years. She stays on her meds and has always been rail thin as long as I have known her. Good luck to your wife in finding the right meds. Tell her to hang in there.

My sister had hers removed and relys on medication.
Her sons also got thyriod issues.One is very overweight and
The other can eat anything and is skinny as a rail.

I do feel for her and you and hope things get better. I have a friend that has cancer in his thyroid and will ahve to have it removed. What is the recover of this cancer?

Thanks guys. It sounds like theres hope for my wifes weight. However what about her happiness.

Fireball, how did your moods change. Are you able to find that happiness you once had or do you fight with depression a lot? My wife used to be the happiest person you ever met. She was that thpe with an addictive personality and was the life of the room. Now shes a hermit and afraid to leave the house. It sounds like theres hope she will kick the depression. Is that right?

....how could she not be depressed waking up to you every morning????

When you go swimming in the ocean, it is very cold, and it makes my willy small

DO NOT GO TO TRADITIONAL DOCTORS FOR THIS!!!! They will treat symptoms and not address what is causing the problem.

My wife was having problems with her adrenals and thyroid about a year and half / two years ago. She had blood work done and went about a HUGE diet change and recently had blood work done and the problems are gone. When I say diet change I mean gluten free / organic / no processed foods etc. It is a lifestyle change that must be committed to. Sounds simple, but is much more challenging than you would think. All meals must be made from scratch etc. Meds treat symptoms not fix the problem. I don't know a ton about it all, but my wife is an expert. If you are interested in chatting with her, PM me and I will give you contact info.

Any time you are dealing with adrenal glands it is a delicate situation. Healthy living and a good Dr. can really make the difference. I have seen people do the roller coaster until they find the right combination. This may take a while. It is often trying different Hormone Replacement combinations until it works. Sorry your family has to go through this. Nobody asks for this, and it can turn life upside down. Good Luck

Stomper, my beautiful girlfriend Cindy has had her thyroid totally shut down with radiation. She vibrant, healthy and gorgous...They treat her thyroid with cytomel and synthroid and her weight has stabilized and she is able to work out and control her weight..Stomper, is your wife going through menopause??? Tell her no more then 30 grams of carbs per day and eat more then 60 grams of protein per day this will help her drop weight. Women have it rough...It's easy being a guy.

Been there Stomper and I hope it works out for you both..

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

....I could help her with the protein...if you need it

When you go swimming in the ocean, it is very cold, and it makes my willy small

Well stinky, you ONLY made 13 specific references to "weight", "fat" or being "heavy" in your original post. I don't think theres any reason for QT to be worried.

Best of luck to her. Seriously.

Thanks for all the responses guys. Leave it to nv to turn on me lol. I seem to think if she wasnt putting on so much weight that there wouldnt be an issue but thats all she keeps talking about. However she woke up this morning and was her normal bubbly joking self. Thats the girl i know and it gives me hope she will come back permanently. We definitely have a lot of options to look at and i am definitely going to explore them all. When i had massive medical problems 5 years ago she did the same for me. We ended up deciding against several different surgeries and the endocrinologist at the mayo clinic pointed me towards diet and hormone replacement. Ive been fine ever since. It only took us 4 years to figure out my body and i plan to put in all the time it takes to be there for my wife. Thanks for all the pointers guys. I appreciate it.

Stink, check this link. It's a lot of tough work and dedication, but you can get your wife back.
Read Andrea's story and contact her.
Good luck!
http://www.andreabeaman.com/health/#.UT5dy9E4XxY

Once you cut, burn, yank it out you can never go back. Try to find the root of the problem. Just because you remove the thyroid, doesn't mean you are well! Look to heal the real problem first before you try surgeries and pills.

Traditional >>>------->

Tony:

Don't have any advice to offer but I sure hope things work out well.
Sounds like you have the right attitude and I am sure things will work
out.

Enjoyed my time down in NM. As I know you already know, you have
a great family!

I've been there and done that.......wife's thyroid dying.

Be very careful.....you could lose her while they figure out the dosage for the medication.

In our case, the trial and error period to determine the doseage was about a year.

Good luck.

(In addition to the lethargy you mentioned, a common symptom is anxiety and paranoia....walk carefully until the doc gets it down.)

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Stand by her side like you say Tony! I watched my mom go through this for years all turned out well in the long run. They have a good handle on it now days.
Be well Qtpie.
Prayers sent your way.
Rutnbuck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom