Utah as a NR

akamissedagain

I currently have 2 points for limited entry deer, 1 for general deer, 3 for bison and 3 for mt goat. In 2009 I really enjoyed a southern general muzzloader hunt and 2010 I had a Pine Valley Antelope hunt. I am currently on a waiting period for antelope until 2013.
When I started applying for Utah I did it mostly for the opportunity to hunt Antelope and someday Mt. Goat.
With the changes that have been made allowing NR to apply for all oil and limited entry species non resident draw odds decreased at least 10 fold for these species. With where I am now I know that I won't be in max point pools at least for 20+ years.
I am wondering what other nonresidents are thinking with the draw odds going from 1:100 to 1:1500, how are you going to adjust your strategy in the draw?

AKAMISSEDAGAIN......POINTS WELL TAKEN.....I AM A NR AS WELL. QUESTION #1....I THOUGHT POINTS FOR DEER WHERE ALL THE SAME, YOU SIGHT GENERAL DEER POINTS, & LIMITED ENTRY DEER POINTS AS BEING DIFFERENT. I HAVE 12 POINTS NOW, DONT WANT TO MAKE A MISTAKE, BY BUYING THE WRONG TYPE IF THIS IS THE CASE. CAN ANY FELLOW HUNTERS SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS .......THANKS.....YD.

Utah has a preference pt. system for the general deer tags and a separate bonus pt. system for the limited entry deer tags. Who knows what they will be doing with them when the small unit thing goes into force.

THANKS MARLEY......ARE THE LIMITED ENTRY POINTS THE SAME POINT CATEGORY AS THE PREMIUM LIMIT ENTRY POINTS.....THANKS,.....YD.

AKAMISSEDAGAIN......WITH AS MANY TIMES AS THE RULES HAVE CHANGED IN MID STREAM IN THE LAST 6-8 YEARS, & THE NR TAGS HAVE BEEN TAKEN OUT OF OUR POOL BUY DON PEAY & SFW..... I DONT BELIEVE I HAVE ANY STRATEGY IN THE PROCESS AT ALL LEFT. I WOULD LIKE TO CASH MY POINTS BACK IN TO THE STATE.....BUT I AM STUCK WITH THEM. I ONLY BUY GAS IN UTAH AS I PASS TO HUNT OTHER STATES......YD.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-11 AT 02:54PM (MST)[p]I have 14 deer points and if I can ever cash them in for a Henries Management or Paunsagunt rifle tag, I will quit applying in Utah. Buying points there is now a bad investment and a waste of time.

Some dope on here will say "ya but somebody has to draw" (DP battle cry), but you could say that if your odds were PowerBall 1:10,000,000 too. Fact is, if you have a set amount to spend, there are far better places to apply with much better draw odds. I'll be sending my money there.

I guess I have been fortunate in drawing Limited Entry permits. Never drew the premium areas, but the ones I did draw resulted in good hunts. When the new system was implemented, I didn't want to start at the bottom again and rely on nothing but luck, so I don't apply in Utah any more. At least with the previous system you had somewhat of a chance. My son has 16 points for deer, and only has a slightly better chance for a Henrys deer tag than the applicants with 0 points. Unless you have max points, AND the State has a tag available for the max point holders, IMO you're just throwing your money away.

I argee with Zim I have 12 LE elk points and this is the only species I will ever hope to have max points for. From here on out I will only put in for LE hunts I hope to get lucky and draw that year. Trying to keep pace with the bonus point butt plug is a waste of money, general deer and cow tags for me.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-11 AT 02:55PM (MST)[p]I am a Utah resident.

However, I feel bad for the NR's. Why?? Because they have been 100% ripped off by the app change.

To answer your question Yukon, Premium tags and the individual LE tags use the same bonus points. With the new and ever changing rules, I can hardly say I blame you. However, if you are ever interested in applying for the Northern part of our state, PM and I would be glad to help out.

Hard to say if its worth it or not to start in the game or, start applying for a new species. People like Marley draw with one point so you never know.. Too bad Yukon that you don't want to hunt our state. Apply for some easier draws. Antelope archery would be the easiest to draw.

Woodruff is right about the pts. The general tags are preference pts. not bonus. Alot of people don't know the difference. In the general tags whoever has the most pts. gets the tag, with bonus pts. it just means you have more names in the hat. If you already knew this.....sorry.

I think the worst thing UT did to the nonresident was to allow them to apply for everything. As if the butt plug was crammed up there far enough. Somebody does have to draw but that chance just got about 5 times worse with that change. I did pull the lucky tag but that was just pure dumb luck. I don't expect it to happen ever again and after my elk tag comes around I think I will be done with UTah as well.

No real change in my drawing strategy. It just costs me a few more $ to add the now required license. Then I figure since I already bought the license, I might as well justify my license purchase by adding the applications for bison, antelope, moose, deer, and sheep for a snowballs chance at you know what to draw!

Getting bonus points in all the western states has been an obsession for me in the last decade plus but now almost turned into a curse! Sitting on 11 NR bonus points for elk going into this year's drawing. Not enough for a top tier hunt and afraid to burn them on what could possibly end up being a mediocre hunt while feeling the pressure to draw because the window is closing on a chance to kill a big bull in Utah.

I was lucky enough to draw my mountain goat tag in 2009 with 7 bonus points from the random pool the same year they made the switch and feel real fortunate to have done so. I feel sorry for those non-residents that had a lot of points but not quite enough for a bonus point tag in the OIL drawings. Their odds of drawing a random tag just plummeted when the rules were changed on us in mid-stream.

Since I have to buy the license to apply for elk I figure I might as well put in for bison, pronghorn, deer, moose, and sheep while I am waiting to draw out my elk. I know deep down I have lottery like odds to draw, but like an addict, can't keep myself from applying for a chance at hitting it big.

Once I draw my elk tag, it won't be necessary to buy the license so I then won't be compelled to apply for the other species and will most likely be done with Utah. But then again my point addiction may get the best of me...

Horniac

I guess it all depends on how you look at it......

I'm 27 and have a measly 2 or 3 points for every species in Utah. As cheap as it is I'll continue to buy the licensee when needed and toss my name into the hat for the nearly impossible tags for several years to come. I've never hunted in Utah and with the points system the way it is I may never draw the tags I apply for, but I know I'll never draw a tag if I don't toss my name into the hat.

Application costs depend on the year, but the cost of applying is the equivalent to, or less than, a bad night out on the town and it doesn't leave me with a hang over. Staying home one night a year and donating my money to a cause that won't kill brain cells or leave me with a child support payment gets easier and easier every year.

You've already enjoyed an Antelope hunt so I say stick with it and good luck drawing your goat tag!

How do you guys figure its bad the way it is? As a resident I can only put in for one le tag and one once in a lifetime. So at the current rate I wait 15 years to draw elk, then start, notice I say start points for deer, and then will need at least 9 for a good chance. After that 9 years I can either go back to elk or go to antelope. Antelope is around 9 as well, so all together I get 3 le tags and waited just as long if not longer then a non-resident. Just think, if everybody thinks its a waste of time and stops applying, your odds go up drastically. I wish residents could apply for everything. There is always the chance of drawing without max points, for residents and non-residents. I live here and still cant draw a tag. But know lots of people who draw all the time with less then half the points needed and have also drawen some tags twice. I would not give up until you draw the tag and loose all points for that animal. Non-residents get a chance at everything, that means you have a chance at 8 different animals and a resident gets a chance at 2. Maybe you could just earn point until you retire and come live in utah and become a resident with max points on everything.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom