Utah Elk Management Plan

cdhooper04

I'm in a class where my teacher is a board member. And we are going through the Utah Elk Management plan making suggestions on what we think should be modified or changed and if it's a decent idea he is going straight to the top with it. So what's your ideas?

Get the rifle hunt out of the Rut
I want spike hunting shut down more than anyone. but how do we accommodate the 15000 tags without jeopardizing our GS bull elk hunt?

I have an Idea I just thought of, what if we shut down spike hunting out in the book cliffs everyone knows that unit is struggling and it is loosing quality out there.

let's give it an honest run for 7 years. Then when this comes back up in 7 years. we have hard data showing what the outcome is.

A mandatory harvest survey on all spike hunters. We need to know how many future bulls are being harvested.

If Utah would mimic Nevada's season dates. Get all the gun & muzzy hunts out of the rut. They could issue way more tags & there would be more old bulls because they wouldn't be so vulnerable during the hunts. The points would move a lot faster giving more hunters the opportunity at quality hunts. Utah should also square their points in the random draw. with 60 - 40 split to max point applicants. I hope they square points, I'm a nonresident with 28 desert sheep points & 24 elk. Square them points!!!!!!!! Get him straightened out Conner!!! ?

Last edited:
With a management plan I think hunter numbers and opportunities are critical components and part of planning but only a part of the picture. I would be interested in seeing data associated with environmental factors such as drought and their impacts on populations. Those can impact herds faster than a hunt. With that, it would then turn to how that plan can be adjusted mid life cycle to account for those impacts.

Oh good god. They have a hard enough time sticking to the topics at hand during these meetings, now they are asking kids for input on how elk should be managed?

It’s official. Utah hunting is *******. There’s no way around it at this point.

I'm in a class where my teacher is a board member. And we are going through the Utah Elk Management plan making suggestions on what we think should be modified or changed and if it's a decent idea he is going straight to the top with it. So what's your ideas?
Good luck CD and glad you have taken a interest in this as it's very important to all of us. I also feel it's great that a course subject like this even came up this day in age. Ya never know man-you or another student might come up with a number of great solutions but one thing for sure that you will all have to face and fight out is-MONEY and lots of it. Hunting is so commercialized anymore that it's darn near impossible for the every day guy to go out and enjoy it. I don't think Bux n Dux wasn't trying to be negative towards your post but just the frustration we all at one time or more have been faced with for many years. And what he's trying to say is-wildlife boards not only don't listen sometimes to the general public hunters but also get sidetracked by money due to pressure they get from special interest groups and etc. I probably stepped out of line by writing for Bux but I don't think he meant any harm or was trying to be negative. Assuming you are getting your degree in Ag or Ag Econ or Wildlife Biology? We tried to get our 3 daughters to head in that direction but they all wound up teachers and coaches and we could not be more proud of them. Elkhunter made one heck of a point about rifle hunting during the rut and I completely agree with him but others may not. Rather that's part of the problem, trailcams (which I am shocked they upheld), predators, loss of habitat, increased population, climate change (as they call it) , or various other reasons--you're in for a challenge. Best wishes and I am sure you will do great. If you didn't care you wouldn't have posted.

Oh good god. They have a hard enough time sticking to the topics at hand during these meetings, now they are asking kids for input on how elk should be managed?

It’s official. Utah hunting is *******. There’s no way around it at this point.
That comment was sad, you think criticizing kids who care about wildlife management is going to help?

I have to chuckle that a question about the elk plan comes up and all most people want to do is manage elk hunters, not the elk.

Changes to the spike hunt at least have a biological component to them. Talking about when which weapon gets to hunt has zero biological support. If hunters were limiting the health of the elk herds I would be all for hunter management. Rifle rut hunts are not preventing Utah elk herds from achieving any measure of quality in herd health. This is just archery hunters that want to have their cake and eat it too. It’s not about the elk, it’s about the hunt.

I’d prefer the elk plan be about the elk.

Good luck CD and glad you have taken a interest in this as it's very important to all of us. I also feel it's great that a course subject like this even came up this day in age. Ya never know man-you or another student might come up with a number of great solutions but one thing for sure that you will all have to face and fight out is-MONEY and lots of it. Hunting is so commercialized anymore that it's darn near impossible for the every day guy to go out and enjoy it. I don't think Bux n Dux wasn't trying to be negative towards your post but just the frustration we all at one time or more have been faced with for many years. And what he's trying to say is-wildlife boards not only don't listen sometimes to the general public hunters but also get sidetracked by money due to pressure they get from special interest groups and etc. I probably stepped out of line by writing for Bux but I don't think he meant any harm or was trying to be negative. Assuming you are getting your degree in Ag or Ag Econ or Wildlife Biology? We tried to get our 3 daughters to head in that direction but they all wound up teachers and coaches and we could not be more proud of them. Elkhunter made one heck of a point about rifle hunting during the rut and I completely agree with him but others may not. Rather that's part of the problem, trailcams (which I am shocked they upheld), predators, loss of habitat, increased population, climate change (as they call it) , or various other reasons--you're in for a challenge. Best wishes and I am sure you will do great. If you didn't care you wouldn't have posted.
You are correct. My comment isn’t being negative towards the OP. It’s directed at the RAC and WB board.

I have to chuckle that a question about the elk plan comes up and all most people want to do is manage elk hunters, not the elk.

Changes to the spike hunt at least have a biological component to them. Talking about when which weapon gets to hunt has zero biological support. If hunters were limiting the health of the elk herds I would be all for hunter management. Rifle rut hunts are not preventing Utah elk herds from achieving any measure of quality in herd health. This is just archery hunters that want to have their cake and eat it too. It’s not about the elk, it’s about the hunt.

We aren’t managing elk anymore. We are managing social feelings.

Vanilla
Yes you are correct it's about the hunt.

So we choose to run these 30 LE units for Quality. Some of the units have higher age objective and some have lower age objective.
But why can't we just do a 4.5 age class across all of the LE units and offer more tags?
It's not because of the herds health, it's because they want quality bulls for hunters.
So we are managing for hunters/quality/satisfaction has nothing to do with health of our elk herd health.

That is why the rifle hunt is where it is, because Rifle hunters want there cake and eat it too. most effective weapon during the rut with the high success of 70% some units are 80 to 90 % versus archery 26% yeah it's about the hunt alright.

There is no other state that runs the rifle hunt in the Rut.

I used to think that the spike hunt was killing the units around where I live, but have changed my thoughts on this the past few years. Right now, the DWR is saying there is a 1:1 bull cow ratio on this unit. ( And I believe them) That is not good! The main problem I see is they have to kill so many cows off of a unit to keep the elk numbers under the objective, that we are now having very few calves to replenish the herd. This unit is a spike unit, and they are selling tags for animals that are few and far between, because now there are not enough cows to create spikes on this unit. It is a premier unit that in my opinion is about to crash. For the hunters, it all comes down to quality vs quantity. We cant keep shooting 30 bulls off of a unit, and 300 cows a year and expect it to work. Have to come up with a way to keep the quality, but kill more bulls and less cows. Finding a way to raise the herd objective on each unit would be the best, but with the drought, that will be a hard sell right now. The top end bulls right now are not getting replenished, due to no young bulls being born and making it past the spike hunt.

Biologists have to manage both the social and biological components given all the variables involved (a finite resource in short supply with an ever growing demand). To not do so, would be negligent and ignorant.

This has nothing to do with archery hunters wanting their cake and eating it too. It has everything to do with optimizing all variables in the equation as best as possible. My opinion is that elk should be managed by bull to cow ratio rather than age objective to optimize herd health/quality, but at the same time you can and should optimize the hunter management variable as well by maximizing opportunity within the limits of harvest that the herd can handle and still remain healthy. Rifle rut hunts DO NOT maximize opportunity.

I used to think that the spike hunt was killing the units around where I live, but have changed my thoughts on this the past few years. Right now, the DWR is saying there is a 1:1 bull cow ratio on this unit. ( And I believe them) That is not good! The main problem I see is they have to kill so many cows off of a unit to keep the elk numbers under the objective, that we are now having very few calves to replenish the herd. This unit is a spike unit, and they are selling tags for animals that are few and far between, because now there are not enough cows to create spikes on this unit. It is a premier unit that in my opinion is about to crash. For the hunters, it all comes down to quality vs quantity. We cant keep shooting 30 bulls off of a unit, and 300 cows a year and expect it to work. Have to come up with a way to keep the quality, but kill more bulls and less cows. Finding a way to raise the herd objective on each unit would be the best, but with the drought, that will be a hard sell right now. The top end bulls right now are not getting replenished, due to no young bulls being born and making it past the spike hunt.
Eliminating or drastically reducing private grazing on public lands and you can increase your numbers. People don’t understand that a private entity dictates how many naturally occurring wildlife can be living on our public lands.

That is why the rifle hunt is where it is, because Rifle hunters want there cake and eat it too. most effective weapon during the rut with the high success of 70% some units are 80 to 90 % versus archery 26% yeah it's about the hunt alright.

There is no other state that runs the rifle hunt in the Rut.

Actually, the rifle hunt is where it is because most of the hunters in Utah were/are rifle hunters, so the state wanted to give the rut experience to the weapon that most people used. That is still the case today, even if people are now crying foul because archery hunters don't only want to go first, but they want the rut too. Notice how none of them propose extending the archery one week. All proposals are to take the entire month of September! So they need the pre-rut, peak-rut, and post-rut, all going first before anyone else gets a crack at the elk. It's kind a joke when you peel the layers back on the onion and see what is really happening.

On top of it, the reason why SFW supports this notion, according to their own president in an open Wildlife Board meeting, is too many "average Joes" are killing the trophy bulls and not leaving enough for the King's men. Think I'm making this up? Go find the statements made about the Dutton late hunt and then about why we don't have enough 400 inch bulls anymore. I'm not here for the king's men. I'm here for me and you. (Assuming you are not part of that king's men crew...)

I'm fine being the only state that does something a certain way. Utah is the only state that does a lot of things, and that's what makes it an incredible place to live. The real problem is demand has far exceeded what we can produce under our current reality. Utah must be doing something right if demand is still this high, right? Maybe the elk situation isn't as broken as people are being led to believe.

This has nothing to do with archery hunters wanting their cake and eating it too.

False. It has everything to do with this. I've heard the discussions and know the motivation for it.

My opinion is that elk should be managed by bull to cow ratio rather than age objective to optimize herd health/quality, but at the same time you can and should optimize the hunter management variable as well by maximizing opportunity within the limits of harvest that the herd can handle and still remain healthy. Rifle rut hunts DO NOT maximize opportunity.

If it is about opportunity, then get rid of LE all together. Make these all any bull units and let the games begin. I'm not a big fan of the age class management, but the buck:doe ration management on deer hasn't worked either. Would we just be creating the same monster with elk if we switched to bull:cow ration management? I don't know the answer to that, but we can look to our "success" with deer for guiding light on this, I think.

As for what biologists do...I disagree they have to manage for social issues. The wildlife board, after taking in biologist feedback, must govern from a biological and social mindset. But biologists should be just that: biologists. Leave the social sciences to the experts in those fields and stick to their own expertise. Utah would be a lot better off if the powers that be listened more to the biologists.

I agree with comments about the general spike hunts. I don't think the DWR does an adequate job of tracking harvest rates on the general spike elks hunts. People may disagree with me, but I think the general archery elk hunts in particular are having more impact than most people think because the archery tags are unlimited and it puts too much pressure on some popular units. There are not enough spike bulls that make it through the gauntlet of general spike hunts on some of the more popular units. Mandatory harvest reports should be required for every big game hunt in the state. You should not be allow to apply for big game hunts until you have filled out your harvest report from your last hunt.

Mandatory harvest reports should be required for every big game hunt in the state. You should not be allow to apply for big game hunts until you have filled out your harvest report from your last hunt.

This is the single change that needs to happen immediately for hunter management in the state of Utah. The rest of the stuff can be hashed out over time when the board decides which special interest group they want to listen to most at that particular time, but there is zero reason why every single big game tag does not have a mandatory report after the year, with a penalty of no applications of any kind the following year if you don't do it.

False. It has everything to do with this. I've heard the discussions and know the motivation for it.

If it is about opportunity, then get rid of LE all together. Make these all any bull units and let the games begin. I'm not a big fan of the age class management, but the buck:doe ration management on deer hasn't worked either. Would we just be creating the same monster with elk if we switched to bull:cow ration management? I don't know the answer to that, but we can look to our "success" with deer for guiding light on this, I think.

As for what biologists do...I disagree they have to manage for social issues. The wildlife board, after taking in biologist feedback, must govern from a biological and social mindset. But biologists should be just that: biologists. Leave the social sciences to the experts in those fields and stick to their own expertise. Utah would be a lot better off if the powers that be listened more to the biologists.
C'mon Vanilla - you are being a bit obtuse here. You know as well as I do that you can maximize opportunity within the LE framework and that maximization benefits everyone, not just bowhunters.

Managing elk units by bull to cow ratio would be an improvement over age objective without a doubt. You can't use the deer example as a guiding light because there is far more going on with deer herds than anyone knows or understands (e.g., fawn mortality for unexplained reasons, etc.) Deer are a lot more fragile than elk - apples and oranges there.

Actually, the rifle hunt is where it is because most of the hunters in Utah were/are rifle hunters, so the state wanted to give the rut experience to the weapon that most people used. That is still the case today, even if people are now crying foul because archery hunters don't only want to go first, but they want the rut too. Notice how none of them propose extending the archery one week. All proposals are to take the entire month of September! So they need the pre-rut, peak-rut, and post-rut, all going first before anyone else gets a crack at the elk. It's kind a joke when you peel the layers back on the onion and see what is really happening.

On top of it, the reason why SFW supports this notion, according to their own president in an open Wildlife Board meeting, is too many "average Joes" are killing the trophy bulls and not leaving enough for the King's men. Think I'm making this up? Go find the statements made about the Dutton late hunt and then about why we don't have enough 400 inch bulls anymore. I'm not here for the king's men. I'm here for me and you. (Assuming you are not part of that king's men crew...)

I'm fine being the only state that does something a certain way. Utah is the only state that does a lot of things, and that's what makes it an incredible place to live. The real problem is demand has far exceeded what we can produce under our current reality. Utah must be doing something right if demand is still this high, right? Maybe the elk situation isn't as broken as people are being led to believe.
Vanilla
Let me ask you something.
what if the Archery hunt stays where it is with no season date change.
Then we move the early season rifle rut hunt with the spike hunt you good with that?

This is the single change that needs to happen immediately for hunter management in the state of Utah. The rest of the stuff can be hashed out over time when the board decides which special interest group they want to listen to most at that particular time, but there is zero reason why every single big game tag does not have a mandatory report after the year, with a penalty of no applications of any kind the following year if you don't do it.
I have been beating this drum for years - there is absolutely no good reason why this isn't in place already. Low hanging fruit that should be implemented without any question.

I will agree with you on this. That is why i stated in my previos post
(I have an Idea I just thought of, what if we shut down spike hunting out in the book cliffs everyone knows that unit is struggling and it is loosing quality out there.

let's give it an honest run for 7 years. Then when this comes back up in 7 years. we have hard data showing what the outcome is.)
I have my thoughts and you have your thoughts but at the end of the day no body knows there is no data to back my claim up or yours.

Anyone calling for the spike hunt to end doesn't understand carrying capacity very well.
The more bulls you have to feed the less cows you can have. If I remember correctly, cows are the one's having calves. Thus, more cows are good. Too many bulls biologically speaking are bad.

It is not feasible to feed every spike until they are 6 years old. it is just too many mouths.

That's where the Mid season hunt is right now
Yes there is 3 to be exact. it is a harder hunt because the spike hunters are in there pressuring the Elk.
They have to work harder for it.
I know a few people that have had both early season and mid season Elk tags.
They have told me the mid season is by far the hardest hunt because of the pressure that gets put on them.

Look at fish lake for instance.
early season rifle in 2020 85.3% success
Mid season rifle in 2020 61.9% success spike hunt pressure
late season rifle in 2020 91.7% success

You want more tags issued make the hunt harder pretty simple.

Anyone calling for the spike hunt to end doesn't understand carrying capacity very well.
The more bulls you have to feed the less cows you can have. If I remember correctly, cows are the one's having calves. Thus, more cows are good. Too many bulls biologically speaking are bad.

It is not feasible to feed every spike until they are 6 years old. it is just too many mouths.
You ask any biologist in this state and Elk we do not have a problem growing ..

You ask any biologist in this state and Elk we do not have a problem growing ..
There is an area I like to hunt that just a few years ago had 400 late season antlerless elk permits on that area. Last year they gave out 4 resident and 1 non resident for the same area. Explain this to me if growing elk isn't an issue.

Yes there is 3 to be exact. it is a harder hunt because the spike hunters are in there pressuring the Elk.
They have to work harder for it.
I know a few people that have had both early season and mid season Elk tags.
They have told me the mid season is by far the hardest hunt because of the pressure that gets put on them.

Look at fish lake for instance.
early season rifle in 2020 85.3% success
Mid season rifle in 2020 61.9% success spike hunt pressure
late season rifle in 2020 91.7% success

You want more tags issued make the hunt harder pretty simple.
Some of it is pressure, Most of it is that a bunch of bulls have already been killed during the archery, early AW and muzzy season.

There is an area I like to hunt that just a few years ago had 400 late season antlerless elk permits on that area. Last year they gave out 4 resident and 1 non resident for the same area. Explain this to me if growing elk isn't an issue.
They issued way too many Late season cow tags they got the quota wrong.
They did the same thing on my unit but they bounced back strong in 2 years.
I guess it just depends on the unit.

If public grazing got the axe, you could feed many more elk than we are currently

Some of it is pressure, Most of it is that a bunch of bulls have already been killed during the archery, early AW and muzzy season.
Yes a few bulls have been harvested
This is going off of the 2020 annual report it is actual data.

Archery had 775 tags issued and 203 bull elk harvested

The muzzleloader hunters harvested 358

The rifle hunters harvested now look at this closely 731 bulls harvested almost as many archery tags issued.

There is absolute no pressure during this hunt they get it all too themselves.
No pressure and the Rut is the reason for them to be more successful.

The rifle hunters harvested more bulls in that early season then the archery and Muzzloader combined harvest.

Look you put pressure on elk. they are harder to hunt period if the Early rifle hunt was moved to October during the spike hunt you would see less success. and more tags issued between all LE hunts guaranteed.

The previous years success rates play into this. If they don’t kill the cows off a unit they needed to the year before, they’ll add tags on the next year in an attempt to bring the numbers back down to what the almighty livestock association thinks is acceptable. If we get a bad winter and the elk winter on the highways, you can over kill a herd pretty quickly compared to a normal year

Yes a few bulls have been harvested
This is going off of the 2020 annual report it is actual data.

Archery had 775 tags issued and 203 bull elk harvested

The muzzleloader hunters harvested 358

The rifle hunters harvested now look at this closely 731 bulls harvested almost as many archery tags issued.

There is absolute no pressure during this hunt they get it all too themselves.
No pressure and the Rut is the reason for them to be more successful.

The rifle hunters harvested more bulls in that early season then the archery and Muzzloader combined harvest.

Look you put pressure on elk. they are harder to hunt period if the Early rifle hunt was moved to October during the spike hunt you would see less success. and more tags issued between all LE hunts guaranteed.
First, there are way more people that hunt with a rifle than a bow. It's not even close. They should get a good chunk of the tags.

I could support swapping the muzzleloader season with the early any weapon. The archery guys could get an additional week and overlap the muzzleloader hunt same as Colorado.

The other thing if you have ever tried hunting elk with a bow during the rut.
Its extremely hard too many eyes and they are way hard to call in close enough for a shot.
so run the archery hunt threw the whole month of September. put the Muzzloader hunt where the rifle hunt currently is and run it for 9 days over lapping the archery hunt this is putting pressure on the elk.
I think you will find the success rate will drop on archery and maybe even muzzleloader.

I know this will never happen too much money and too much entitlement for that rifle hunt

The other thing if you have ever tried hunting elk with a bow during the rut.
Its extremely hard too many eyes and they are way hard to call in close enough for a shot.

so run the archery hunt threw the whole month of September. put the Muzzloader hunt where the rifle hunt currently is and run it for 9 days over lapping the archery hunt this is putting pressure on the elk.
I think you will find the success rate will drop on archery and maybe even muzzleloader.

I know this will never happen too much money and too much entitlement for that rifle hunt
Holy shizz. lol
Are you kidding me...

That has to be the first time ever in the history of hunting that someone said it's too hard to hunt elk during the rut. SMH

special.jpg

First, there are way more people that hunt with a rifle than a bow. It's not even close. They should get a good chunk of the tags.

I could support swapping the muzzleloader season with the early any weapon. The archery guys could get an additional week and overlap the muzzleloader hunt same as Colorado.
Your correct, they should get and they could have more if it was out of the rut .

Okay where getting somewhere but that will never work because it will interfere with the muzzleloader deer.

I'm not going to argue my concerns have been voice and heard. I have sent them to the right people looking over the Elk plan.
If you want to continue this start one on the Utah forum.

Sorry kid for high jacking your post. I'm done keep up the good work.

Sure, But is that going to happen?
If you had enough people understand who really dictates wildlife populations in our state and they voiced their opinion on it, then it very well could be a possibility. Unfortunately, most of the public doesn’t understand how things work. It’s year all the DWRs fault and all fingers are pointed at them, when in reality I can’t be further from the truth

Recognizing that people forget, I would be more lenient and just require that hunters can’t buy any licenses or permits until they submit their harvest report. It could be done at the license vendor or thorough the web portal immediately before next purchase, but it will be done. No penalties or mailings required. I feel like the DWR takes in more than enough fees to cover the cost of this.

I understand carrying capacity. My point is that you could put more branch antlered bulls on the landscape with a similar overall population size if you let the spikes have a chance to grow one or two more years. Reduce number of cows as needed, but we don’t need to keep a bunch of cows around so we can harvest 10,000 bulls every year (or whatever that number might be). I think many people would be super happy to take a branch antler bull, rather than wait 30 years for a dismal chance of taking a 380 bull with no broken tines that has 30 guides chasing it. We give up a lot potentially great opportunity trying to manage for $300,000 bulls. Just my opinion.

I understand carrying capacity. My point is that you could put more branch antlered bulls on the landscape with a similar overall population size if you let the spikes have a chance to grow one or two more years. Reduce number of cows as needed, but we don’t need to keep a bunch of cows around so we can harvest 10,000 bulls every year (or whatever that number might be). I think many people would be super happy to take a branch antler bull, rather than wait 30 years for a dismal chance of taking a 380 bull with no broken tines that has 30 guides chasing it. We give up a lot potentially great opportunity trying to manage for $300,000 bulls. Just my opinion.

You realize this is where all the bulls come from right?

So for every cow you reduce, you are reducing a calf. (Stay with me here) and most likely 50% of those calves will be bulls. ( Ok, here's the important part). Less cows equals less bulls.

If you had enough people understand who really dictates wildlife populations in our state and they voiced their opinion on it, then it very well could be a possibility. Unfortunately, most of the public doesn’t understand how things work. It’s year all the DWRs fault and all fingers are pointed at them, when in reality I can’t be further from the truth
You are correct. Most don't understand that hunters as a whole don't understand that there is millions of dollars invested in multiple uses of our public lands by people who may or may not give $.02 if you or I can kill an elk. They are not only well financed but united in what they want to accomplish.

See any difference?

So for every cow you reduce, you are reducing a calf. (Stay with me here) and most likely 50% of those calves will be bulls. ( Ok, here's the important part). Less cows equals less bulls.
Why have cows just to make spikes? How many other states restrict most bull permits to spike only? Oh wait, Utah knows best. That’s why we have everyone is so happy and fully satisfied with our hunting opportunities in Utah. No one complaining about kids waiting 50 years to hunt mature bulls.

My original point was that you manage herd size within carry capacity by taking out cows, not spikes. We all know that hunting buck deer has no effect on population size, right? ?

I'm all for moving the rifle hunt out of peak rut, but I don't understand why anyone would want to stop the general spike hunt unless you switch it to something that manages all the younger bulls that no one will kill on the LE trophy hunts.
It does no good to a herd to have too many bulls that don't get harvested.
We are not "wiping out" our bulls on the spike hunts, not even close.
They estimate 10% survive the hunts.
Then for the next 5-6 years you've got an abundance of "satellite bulls" competing for everything including critical winter forage.
Compound that 10% by the "5-6" years and that's a hell of a lot of up and coming bulls to reach maturity.
I believe the 10% estimation is low, I saw a herd on the Wasatch last year on the rifle deer hunt that had 12 spikes in it alone.
And if you go up into Hobble Creek during the winter, you will see a lot of spike bulls.

How many bulls die of old age because of poor genetics that no one wants to harvest.
Just because a bull reaches his prime doesn't mean he'll even make 300" or even be a 6x6 for that matter.

So what do we do?
Stop killing spikes and issue hundreds more LE tags to keep the herd numbers managed appropriately?

Why have cows just to make spikes? How many other states restrict most bull permits to spike only? Oh wait, Utah knows best. That’s why we have everyone is so happy and fully satisfied with our hunting opportunities in Utah. No one complaining about kids waiting 50 years to hunt mature bulls.
Oregon has spike hunts. So do a couple other states if I’m not mistaken.

There are programs in place to help allow kids jump in front of a line to get them an opportunity at harvesting a big bull while they are a youth. Sure, it comes at the expense of an adult who’s waited a long time to draw a permit for themselves. But that’s on them and how selfish or selfless they are feeling on the importance of a kid killing a big bull. The opportunity is there, among many others for youth. Many more opportunities for youth to go hunting today than there was 10 years ago.

Slam
we have a problem our GS elk is in jeopardy
The writing has been on the wall for the last 5 years.
last year they wanted our GS elk to go to a draw our last over the counter tags.
We have 30 LE units in this state which hold roughly 70% of our elk in the state.

It’s pretty sad that 2756 LE tags dictates and controls our GS elk in this state.

Last edited:
We are in a losing battle…more people wanting to hunt, less animals to hunt. I personally think it would be a great idea to put your money where your mouth is and log so many hours of service to have the opportunity to even purchase a gs elk tag. This would thin out the granny’s and grandpa’s and other Tom, Dick, and Harry’s that get their name in the “virtual line” every summer for a tag. It would also be projects toward the species that you want a tag for, making YOU an owner of (in this case) the future of elk hunting. Leave elk tag numbers as they are. Just adopt part of the dedicated hunter idea to attract those who really care about the preservation of our wildlife. I see no harm in this approach and think we all will breathe a little easier in the elk tag lines.

Trust me, if I knew I had to log 10 hours (or whatever was decided) of service to even have a chance to hunt elk on gs…I would be first in line to sign up for a service project because I absolutely love hunting elk. And if I still didn’t het a tag, I’d still be ok contributing to the preservation of a species I enjoy hunting. Not all feel the same way I do…therefore, I think we would see a decline in opportunists.

What type of service are you suggesting for elk? The elk herd isn’t exactly hurting in Utah. Herd health wise it’s probably better than it’s ever been in history. It’s certainly better than it was any time in Utah history prior to the 2000s.

I’m not against your idea, but what are you hoping to accomplish with these service hours other than just making it harder to get a tag?

I’d have no problem with the spike hunt if all the GS spike hunters and GS any bull hunters were taken out of the LE application pool. Thats how you fix point creep. i don’t believe that the quota of 15,000 spike permits includes GS elk archery permits.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe most Utah elk hunters bought into the LE hunts with the belief that they could gain experience hunting elk while waiting to draw their LE tag.

It absolutely blows me away how many on here are against hunting.

Again it is an assumption that changing the rules to either or will improve your ability to draw the hunt you desire.

Do you really want to open up a Colorado free for all for 4 point or better?

If 100% hunter survey would make people feel better I'm ok with it. But spike hunts, archery or otherwise is not the problem with elk hunting in Utah. People who think they should be the only ones who can hunt is.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe most Utah elk hunters bought into the LE hunts with the belief that they could gain experience hunting elk while waiting to draw their LE tag.

It absolutely blows me away how many on here are against hunting.

Again it is an assumption that changing the rules to either or will improve your ability to draw the hunt you desire.

Do you really want to open up a Colorado free for all for 4 point or better?

If 100% hunter survey would make people feel better I'm ok with it. But spike hunts, archery or otherwise is not the problem with elk hunting in Utah. People who think they should be the only ones who can hunt is.
I’ve waited 23 years for a LE elk permit and now that I‘m finally close to drawing people want to eliminate the point system so everyone has “the same chance”? So “the kids” have a chance to hunt trophy bulls when they are 15? Where was my “same chance” over the last 23 years? Frankly it is in my best interest to leave everything just the way it is.

Making changes doesn’t mean we have to go to an OTC free for all. Many states have great LE elk hunts without having to do spike hunts. I’m just saying there are things that can be done to address point creep without blowing up the point system. The problem in Utah is people want to have their cake and eat it too. We have too many people and not enough habitat and water to have OTC big game hunts and provide LE entry hunts that have low pressure hunting for trophy-class game without point creep.

I'm all for moving the rifle hunt out of peak rut, but I don't understand why anyone would want to stop the general spike hunt unless you switch it to something that manages all the younger bulls that no one will kill on the LE trophy hunts.
It does no good to a herd to have too many bulls that don't get harvested.
We are not "wiping out" our bulls on the spike hunts, not even close.
They estimate 10% survive the hunts.
Then for the next 5-6 years you've got an abundance of "satellite bulls" competing for everything including critical winter forage.
Compound that 10% by the "5-6" years and that's a hell of a lot of up and coming bulls to reach maturity.
I believe the 10% estimation is low, I saw a herd on the Wasatch last year on the rifle deer hunt that had 12 spikes in it alone.
And if you go up into Hobble Creek during the winter, you will see a lot of spike bulls.

How many bulls die of old age because of poor genetics that no one wants to harvest.
Just because a bull reaches his prime doesn't mean he'll even make 300" or even be a 6x6 for that matter.

So what do we do?
Stop killing spikes and issue hundreds more LE tags to keep the herd numbers managed appropriately?
My answer to your last question is yes. That is exactly what a lot of people on this thread are saying. Eliminate the spike hunt and give more LE tags. Your bigger less desirable bulls will get shot and your carrying capacity is a a non issue. Think of all the bulls that would be coming up each year if those spikes aren’t shot their first year. Why shoot them as spikes when you can shoot them as 5-6 points?

Point creep drops and more people get to hunt branched bulls.

I know it seems radical but it’s really just the timing of when those bulls get shot.

My answer to your last question is yes. That is exactly what a lot of people on this thread are saying. Eliminate the spike hunt and give more LE tags. Your bigger less desirable bulls will get shot and your carrying capacity is a a non issue. Think of all the bulls that would be coming up each year if those spikes aren’t shot their first year. Why shoot them as spikes when you can shoot them as 5-6 points?

I know it seems radical but it’s really just the timing of when those bulls get shot.
The problem i see there is you'll lose even more "quality" overall.
Putting more hunters in the field passing mediocre bulls would ultimately decimate the top end bulls.

Having said that, personally I'd rather hunt a raghorn bull every few years than a spike every year.

Let’s take one unit drop the spike hunt give it a super generous tag allotment and say 6 point on one side do it for 3 years and see what happens. Anything is better than shooting spikes every year.
Not sure what you mean by super generous, but I I think you could double or triple then number of LE tags, but need to wait a few years to let the spikes grow up. I think another problem is you end up with some old 5x5s that won’t get legal. I think this is why some states just require brow tines.

Putting more hunters in the field passing mediocre bulls would ultimately decimate the top end bulls.

Having said that, personally I'd rather hunt a raghorn bull every few years than a spike every year.

That's the problem, It wouldn't be every few years. It would still be every 10 to 15 years even if they quadrupled LE elk tags.

I'll take spikes every year before I get to hunt a 4 point every other decade.

And you are correct, Quality would plumet.

That's the problem, It wouldn't be every few. It would still be every 10 to 15 years even if they quadrupled LE elk tags.

I'll take spikes every year before I get to hunt a 4 point every other decade.

And you are correct, Quality would plumet.
Most likely, yes.
I don't think things would change much as far as drawing a tag

Agreed but maybe there is room for a little of both. The majority of elk shot off the lower tier units are not any bigger than 5 points to 320 6 points.

There is no reason to manage the entire state to the needs of the few who require 370+ bulls to have a successful hunt.

Because you can't feed every bull for five or six years. There would be too many bulls.

Each unit has a population objective. The more bulls there are, the less cows there can be. It really isn't that tough to understand. Cows make calves. the more cows you have the more bulls you will have.

Because you can't feed every bull for five or six years. There would be too many bulls.

Each unit has a population objective. The more bulls there are, the less cows there can be. It really isn't that tough to understand. Cows make calves. the more cows you have the more bulls you will have.
This was exactly my point.
Excess bulls only hurts a herd, that's exactly the reason for the spike hunts on bottom with LE tags on top.

Not sure what you mean by super generous, but I I think you could double or triple then number of LE tags, but need to wait a few years to let the spikes grow up. I think another problem is you end up with some old 5x5s that won’t get legal. I think this is why some states just require brow tines.
We have rags shot now on the spike units

And you think people are upset now that they can’t find as many 400 inch bulls?
I bet the vast majority of Utah hunters would be very happy to take a 280 bull on units that are relatively close to home and easy to access. What are the 15,000 hunters chasing on the Utah’s GS any-bull hunt (much of it on difficult wilderness), which sells out in 7 hours? If you haven’t killed a 280 bull, it’s pretty hard not to shoot when you have one in your scope. I can only believe that the people upset about the lack of 400 inch bulls are the outfitters, guides, nonresidents trying to get a bragging bull, and a minority of resident hunters that already killed 300 inch bulls. People on this form make fun of Colorado elk hunting, but they killed over 19,000 bulls last year, mostly OTC, where the majority of hunts have antler-point restrictions requiring 4 points or a brow tine on one antler. I realize that Utah has been producing more BC bulls, but I have to believe that Colorado produces way more six point bulls.

There were I believe at least three LE units that had restricted spike hunting in Utah in the last few years. Maybe you could find the data to support your claim?

There were 17500 any bull tags last year along with 15000 spike tags. Maybe another 5000 archery tags. Do you really think you can replace those hunt opportunities with more liberal LE tags? I personally don't think you can.

I just remember how bad the elk hunting was before the spike only units.
it was few and far between for sure but now we have a herd. We didn’t before why stick with the spike thing let’s try something. On the north cache it used to be a really good unit no spike hunting was allowed then they opened it up to spikes didn’t take long for it to go down hill.
I quit hunting spike units years ago I hunt Open bull I might harvest a spike but I at least have the opportunity to harvest something bigger if it happens by

Let’s take one unit drop the spike hunt give it a super generous tag allotment and say 6 point on one side do it for 3 years and see what happens. Anything is better than shooting spikes every year.
I don't trust people who can't count.

Haha how many LE elk points you got Niller? You need the rut, your gun, a guide, what else you worried about before they pull the rifle hunt out of the rut? Who wants their cake and to eat it too, oh that's right you.

This is a great point. My thought would be to raise objectives on these units to meet that goal. We all know what units like the Wasatch and Manti were like 15 years ago before the plan forced the massive in reduction in numbers.
The units can support a much higher number of elk. But the powers that be decided to reduce it anyways.
Those were the glory days on those units.

Who says only 10% of spikes survive that's a crazy low number?
I remember an article in RMEf a number of years ago that showed the science behind shooting yearlings. It was based on the fact that the young had a much higher mortality rate. Targeting them allowed enough to make it through leaving the mature animals to grow and produce another batch or yearlings.

Spike only hunts have proven very successful management on units like the wasatch and Manti but I do think they have severely hurt units like the book cliffs.

There were I believe at least three LE units that had restricted spike hunting in Utah in the last few years. Maybe you could find the data to support your claim?

There were 17500 any bull tags last year along with 15000 spike tags. Maybe another 5000 archery tags. Do you really think you can replace those hunt opportunities with more liberal LE tags? I personally don't think you can.
I am very interested to see if the spike hunt restrictions help the Book Cliffs because I would be interested to burn my point on Book Cliffs Multiseason permit if it bounces back. The fundamental problem is that UDWR does not have mandatory harvest reports so nobody really knows what is happening. I have not been able to find any information on how many archery tags they even sell, and t hey do keep track of where hunters are hunting. It is a black box.

I don’t think you could replace all the spike tags with LE tags. I would suggest that the number of LE tags would be twice the number of spikes killed every year so that LE archery hunts could be managed for 35% success, 80% success for a very limited number of early rifle hunters and muzzy hunters, and about 50 % success for a more liberal number of mid-season and/or late season hunters. We do not know how many spikes are being killed, but I’m guessing at least 1500 including archers. I think there are way more than 5,000 archery spike hunters, but they don’t report that as far as I know. I think you could probably add 3,000 permits if you did away with the spike hunts and still maintain high success and reasonable quality. This would more than double the number of LE permits.

I would not propose doing anything different on the any bull units other than adding these to the LE draw, with no waiting period If you hunt it. If you added 15,000 any bull permits to the LE draw plus 3,000 more to replace spike hunters, you would have more than 20,000 permits in the LE draw. People may laugh, but you could even add cow elk hunts to the LE draw. Points would only be used on first choice, to make sure the cow tags are takn, but you might be surprised how many people would be happy to have a cow tag every year on their first choice while others are waiting for bull tags.

I remember an article in RMEf a number of years ago that showed the science behind shooting yearlings. It was based on the fact that the young had a much higher mortality rate. Targeting them allowed enough to make it through leaving the mature animals to grow and produce another batch or yearlings.

Spike only hunts have proven very successful management on units like the wasatch and Manti but I do think they have severely hurt units like the book cliffs.
As per a private conversation with Covy Jones off the record, he mentioned there is a mystery on the Book Cliffs that they haven't figured out.
Pregnant cows are aborting calves and we are losing recruitment out there.
It's an old herd by age, even cows being harvested are in their teens.
Hopefully they get if figured out.

I bet the vast majority of Utah hunters would be very happy to take a 280 bull on units that are relatively close to home and easy to access. What are the 15,000 hunters chasing on the Utah’s GS any-bull hunt (much of it on difficult wilderness), which sells out in 7 hours? If you haven’t killed a 280 bull, it’s pretty hard not to shoot when you have one in your scope. I can only believe that the people upset about the lack of 400 inch bulls are the outfitters, guides, nonresidents trying to get a bragging bull, and a minority of resident hunters that already killed 300 inch bulls. People on this form make fun of Colorado elk hunting, but they killed over 19,000 bulls last year, mostly OTC, where the majority of hunts have antler-point restrictions requiring 4 points or a brow tine on one antler. I realize that Utah has been producing more BC bulls, but I have to believe that Colorado produces way more six point bulls.

And those people that would be mad then are the same that are mad now and demanding changes not for you and I to have better hunting experiences, but did their clients to find more 400 inch bulls.

Follow the money. It’s the safest way to figure out the motivation.

Haha how many LE elk points you got Niller? You need the rut, your gun, a guide, what else you worried about before they pull the rifle hunt out of the rut? Who wants their cake and to eat it too, oh that's right you.

I have way more points than I wish I had, but this is the difference between you and I: I’m not just worried about me and my hunt. I could pull a rifle rut hunt next year if they announced they were swapping seasons down the road. I may pull one this year. If not, I’ll likely be looking at a multi-season tag soon and I’ll get all seasons regardless. This is a lot bigger than me and my once in a lifetime tag.

I realize the concept of how it impacts others is a foreign concept for you, so I’ll forgive your ignorance in that post.

I have way more points than I wish I had, but this is the difference between you and I: I’m not just worried about me and my hunt. I could pull a rifle rut hunt next year if they announced they were swapping seasons down the road. I may pull one this year. If not, I’ll likely be looking at a multi-season tag soon and I’ll get all seasons regardless. This is a lot bigger than me and my once in a lifetime tag.

I realize the concept of how it impacts others is a foreign concept for you, so I’ll forgive your ignorance in that post.
Hahaha how having the rifle hunt in the rut impacts others, but you reference yourself 10+ different times in your post.

Hahaha how having the rifle hunt in the rut impacts others, but you reference yourself 10+ different times in your post.

My response was about me when you asked about me? That’s odd! Wiffy, you’re out of your league here dude. Back to the little kid’s sandbox.

So I looked up Arizona Elk.

Arizona only has 35,000 Elk on the landscape they produce some great bulls.

But They issue 24,952 elk tags in the state. So can someone please tell me how they can issue that many tags and still maintain 35,000 head of Elk and still be able to harvest record bulls.

My response was about me when you asked about me? That’s odd! Wiffy, you’re out of your league here dude. Back to the little kid’s sandbox.
So help me understand how having the rifle elk hunt in the middle of the rut is a good thing? Please explain how archery hunters want our cake and to eat it too, is that not what rifle hunters already have?

This state is ruled by big money and the rifle elk hunt is the auction tag, guides, cash cow. Saying archery hunters want our cake and to eat it too is just plain stupid. Archery continues to get bent over a barrel in regards to elk hunting in this state. Meanwhile rifle opportunity increases.

Recognizing that people forget, I would be more lenient and just require that hunters can’t buy any licenses or permits until they submit their harvest report. It could be done at the license vendor or thorough the web portal immediately before next purchase, but it will be done. No penalties or mailings required. I feel like the DWR takes in more than enough fees to cover the cost of this.
I don’t completely trust harvest report information. I believe some people lie on those reports thinking they are gaming the system some how. What do you think?

I don’t completely trust harvest report information. I believe some people lie on those reports thinking they are gaming the system some how. What do you think?
I'm sure it happens, but I think most people are honest on them. I would take that risk over not doing anything at all, which is where we are at right now (With the exception of LE and OIL hunts).

Probably.

But there's also a population that won't be honest thinking if they complain, even if they have none, it might affect a change?

So I looked up Arizona Elk.

Arizona only has 35,000 Elk on the landscape they produce some great bulls.

But They issue 24,952 elk tags in the state. So can someone please tell me how they can issue that many tags and still maintain 35,000 head of Elk and still be able to harvest record bulls.
Devil is in the details.

First off, the population estimate is generally post-hunt. Below are the actual harvest stats for 2021. I marked the two key ones in red. These figures & the pop. estimate do not take in the Indian reservations.

elkharvest.JPG

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom