Utah Vacation advice

nocwalker

Ok, we’re coming from Pa in June for a vacation hitting 3 N.P,s. Was hoping for some ideas for the trip. I have done lots of research but want to make sure I don’t miss a can’t miss hike or sight. We’ll be flying into Salt Lake City and heading down to Capital Reef then onto Bryce and then hit Zion. I have to go back over what I’ve found and made as a possible itinerary but wanted to know some of your favorites. We like Zion so much that’s it’s a second visit. We’ll be doing Angels Landing again and the hike up the river. If there’s anything else in Zion, things in Bryce and Cap Reef let me know. Also if there’s something to stop at or a special place to eat on the drive from SLC to Torrey that would help. Can’t wait, I really like Utah.

Thanks. bill V

In all honestly Utah is pretty sweet. Check out Yellowstone while you’re there, also the Grand Canyon is great. A little crowded so hells canyon might be better suited for you. Don’t forget to spend a night gambling in Las Vegas. Dang Utah doesn’t sound as bad as I thought.

Angels Landing now requires a permit. So you’d better get on that if you haven’t already.

Or you can plan a trip to bunk with ss in AK. You can tour all the trash towns, hit every bar on every corner and drink with the indians until ss is sober enough to show you the oil rigs and other run down local attractions.

Really nothing to see in Utah except Californians.

Not sure how your planning to travel between the parks but I highly recommend the Highway 12 that runs from Torrey (the town just before you enter Capital Reef from the west) to Boulder, Escalante and on to Bryce Canyon, during the day light.

It’s a spectacularly scenic drive, beginning with juniper, then aspen and ponderosa pine, then spruce forests. Pull off look outs allow you to view deserts, canyons, and the Henry Mountains to the east. Once you crest the Boulder Mountain your driving through open mountain meadows and a few miles of mountain ranches outside of the town of Boulder. Highway 12 from the town of Boulder to Escalante is different but a no less spectacular drive, through amazing sandstone structures and beautiful red, pink, and white erosion worn canyons and along ridgetops. I assure you, if you drive that highway on a clear day you will be well rewarded as opposed to alternative routes.

I hope you have a wonderful trip and return home safely.

PS
If you haven’t been to Capital Reef and Bryce Canyon previously you’ll find them fantastic. You’ve seen Zions so you know what’s there, you will enjoy the other two equally well. All three are unique and very different in structure and personality.

Last edited:
Red rocks is another sweet spot to go catch a concert.

Don’t forget a stop to snoop’s dads house to see the MM fire bull.

Budget accordingly!!

6AE9D797-B423-4779-AA6F-06E85D624672.jpeg

Just know that you have to be in Zion about 5 am almost anything requires a permit. Monument Valley is so cool but now they only let a few vehicles on the 17 mile road a day. Moki Pint, Goblin Valley are nice too.

Not sure how your planning to travel between the parks but I highly recommend the Highway 12 that runs from Torrey (the town just before you enter Capital Reef from the west) to Boulder, Escalante and on to Bryce Canyon, during the day light.

It’s a spectacularly scenic drive, beginning with juniper, then aspen and ponderosa pine, then spruce forests. Pull off look outs allow you to view deserts, canyons, and the Henry Mountains to the east. Once you crest the Boulder Mountain your driving through open mountain meadows and a few miles of mountain ranches outside of the town of Boulder. Highway 12 from the town of Boulder to Escalante is different but a no less spectacular drive, through amazing sandstone structures and beautiful red, pink, and white erosion worn canyons and along ridgetops. I assure you, if you drive that highway on a clear day you will be well rewarded as opposed to alternative routes.

I hope you have a wonderful trip and return home safely.

PS
If you haven’t been to Capital Reef and Bryce Canyon previously you’ll find them fantastic. You’ve seen Zions so you know what’s there, you will enjoy the other two equally well. All three are unique and very different in structure and personality.
I 2nd that drive.

Bill V I do a lot of my photo/scouting threads on the bowsite that also cover Bryce/Zion and the overlap Buck or Sheep units.

If ya can't find them on the BS, let me know and I'll toss ya a link or two.

Here is a pic from Kodachrome State Park

Robb

IMG_2741.JPG

Make sure you come to the basin and see all the oil wells pumping. It’s quite a site. You could even ride one of the pump jacks. Oh and don’t forget to fish at bottle hollow

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom