Valle Vidal

iccyman001

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-17 AT 05:12PM (MST)[p]It looks like there is a campsite located in VV, but it's closed until May 25.
I've got a turkey hunt there April 15-30th.

My question is can I pull off the road and dry camp anywhere up there with my trailer?
And by anywhere I mean right off the road, without disturbing anything, on maybe an established pull off. I don't want to get up there with my camper and find that I can't park :D
I've done it in other parts of Carson, but wasn't sure if VV was any different.

I haven't read anything saying that I couldn't, but I figured I would ask you guys.

I did leave a voicemail with G&F, but I have not received a phone call back yet.

Thanks for any information that you may have...

Daniel

You can pay to stay in the Rio Costilla camp grounds which borders the Valle Vidal! I am not sure if you can camp on the side of the road. Call the Department Of Game&Fish.

>You can pay to stay in
>the Rio Costilla camp grounds
>which borders the Valle Vidal!
>I am not sure if
>you can camp on the
>side of the road.
>Call the Department Of Game&Fish.
>

I will look into the Rio Costilla campgrounds, thank you.
I've called G&F already and left some voicemails. Still waiting for a call back.

I appreciate the help!

Vv allows camping only in the two designated campgrounds or packed in at least a 1/2 mile from the road. You'll need to camp out of the vv to the west and drive in each day.

>Vv allows camping only in the
>two designated campgrounds or packed
>in at least a 1/2
>mile from the road. You'll
>need to camp out of
>the vv to the west
>and drive in each day.
>

Awesome! Thank you very much for the help!

The information is incorrect. Cimmaron campground usually opens around april 1 still might have a hard time getting up there with the snow just depends n the year. But the campground is open alot of people dont know that cause it says the VVis closed for calfing. Although you cant fish the ponds and such the campground will open as usual every year

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-17 AT 12:34PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-17 AT 12:33?PM (MST)

>The information is incorrect. Cimmaron campground
>usually opens around april 1
>still might have a hard
>time getting up there with
>the snow just depends n
>the year. But the campground
>is open alot of people
>dont know that cause it
>says the VVis closed for
>calfing. Although you cant fish
>the ponds and such the
>campground will open as
>usual every year

I was going off of their website

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/...oundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=72435

"Status: Closed through Thu May 25 2017"

But if they are open around April 1st then that will be GREAT!
Thanks for the information, Bobby!

All of your guys help makes me feel a lot better about bringing the camper up.

Both campgrounds are open. No camp host and the shitters are locked but they are open. Last year April 1 they were full with shed hunters.

>Both campgrounds are open. No camp
>host and the shitters are
>locked but they are open.
>Last year April 1 they
>were full with shed hunters.
>

Awesome!!!
Thanks for the info, nmwapiti!

ya idk why the post that because the camp grounds do open early. I never knew that either until the camp host told me 2 years ago that they are open

LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-17 AT 11:56AM (MST)[p]>ya idk why the post that
>because the camp grounds do
>open early. I never knew
>that either until the camp
>host told me 2 years
>ago that they are open
>

Definitely a good thing to know.
I've got my truck, trailer, and gear already to go...
Now I just need it to be April ;)

When you guys mention shed hunters.... is it like a madhouse?
I can see that being two fold.
In one hand there will be tons of people out walking around.

On the other hand I could ask anyone if they know where the birds are, haha.

A madhouse would be a good description. Was there last year, and all campsites were full. Hikers and folks on horseback.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom