What are your local beef prices?

JPblind

Don't normally buy beef because I have a lot of wildgame in the freezer but last year was the worst year ever for me hunting seemed everything was in low numbers across the board from waterfowl to big game couldn't catch a break. This year I bought a whole beef @$5lb cut and wrapped ( hanging weight of 545 a little under the 700 she predicted). Is this a good price? Don't wan't to rely on stores for red meat again.

Seems fair, burger is around 5/lb or more, steaks 8-9 for cheap cuts, ribeye 12 & up these are my local king sooper prices… so not even the best meat I’d venture to say costco is a bit cheaper but 5 bucks across the board seems really reasonable

About The Only Beef I Buy Out of The Stores is the:

They Have Beef Filets,Some Wrapped With Bacon,Some Not!

They Also Have Chicken that Are Bacon Wrapped!

On The Beef Filets They've Averaged 10.00-11.00 for A Pack of 2!

A Week ago I Bought A Pack & They Were 21.59,I Didn't See The Price Had Doubled,JUDAS!

Talked To A Guy a few Days Ago & He Claims Beef is Gonna Triple In Price!

About The Only Beef I Buy Out of The Stores is the:

They Have Beef Filets,Some Wrapped With Bacon,Some Not!

They Also Have Chicken that Are Bacon Wrapped!

On The Beef Filets They've Averaged 10.00-11.00 for A Pack of 2!

A Week ago I Bought A Pack & They Were 21.59,I Didn't See The Price Had Doubled,JUDAS!

Talked To A Guy a few Days Ago & He Claims Beef is Gonna Triple In Price!
Pretty spendy for some of those cuts. Trying not to have that many dck beaters fondle my meat. Two butchers are enough. Think store bought has at least 5 or 6 people involved with the end product.

At Costco yesterday, they had USDA Prime brisket for $4.69/lb! A great price, and full size ones are 6-9 pounds, so you're only out forty bucks. I like to keep my eyes open for Prime whole top sirloin roasts, they run about $7-8/lb and depending on your cooking method, will rival any steak or roast out there. When Prime ribeyes and filets are running $20-25/lb, I look for great sales

Don't normally buy beef because I have a lot of wildgame in the freezer but last year was the worst year ever for me hunting seemed everything was in low numbers across the board from waterfowl to big game couldn't catch a break. This year I bought a whole beef @$5lb cut and wrapped ( hanging weight of 545 a little under the 700 she predicted). Is this a good price? Don't wan't to rely on stores for red meat again.
Lucky. Beef tastes better than any wild game out there. As far as beef prices I wouldn’t know as I haven’t bought any in a long time.

N.Ky freezer beef is going for $3.50 a lbs live weigh, buyer pays for processing, usually around .80 a lb. 4.50 for hanging weight, and buyer also pays for processping.

$3.50 live weight!!!! That's $1.50 over market, go to a sale yard. I see anything from $3.50 to $8.00 hanging in the PNW. $5 is fair if it's quality beef that's been fed right. 545lbs is pretty light, that's either really young or they aren't feeding enough. I raise my own, but I'd want to have a good idea who's raising it. There are some good local producers around here and some that feed weeds and moldy hay.

Ya!

When You're In Alaska You Don't Buy Much Beef For Sure!

I Bought A Clump of Banana's Once Just To Piss Off The Alaskan Captain!

Ya!

I Paid Dearly For Them!:D

Lucky. Beef tastes better than any wild game out there. As far as beef prices I wouldn’t know as I haven’t bought any in a long time.

$3.50 live weight!!!! That's $1.50 over market, go to a sale yard. I see anything from $3.50 to $8.00 hanging in the PNW. $5 is fair if it's quality beef that's been fed right. 545lbs is pretty light, that's either really young or they aren't feeding enough. I raise my own, but I'd want to have a good idea who's raising it. There are some good local producers around here and some that feed weeds and moldy hay.
545lb is light for this time of year. First half beef I bought was the late spring of 2016 and that steer was around 250lb and tasted sage nasty. My deer and elk tasted better. Think that guy lasted 3yrs just because I had wildgame in freezer.

JP, I'm in north Idaho, but the one's you have to watch for around here are the "angus" that come out of Washington. They cross an angus bull on a Holstein cow at a dairy and try to sell it as a beef cow. It's not, it's best to find a local producer and establish a relationship, even if it means paying a little more; you'll still be under grocery store prices by a lot.

You paid $5/lb for the hanging weight of 545lbs. or $2725?

How much weight did you actually take home?

I'm just asking because I've never bought it that way.

Hey SS?

Potato Chips Were Sky F'N High Up There As Well!

I'm Sure They Still Are?

Even Down Here They've Doubled & Tripled In Price!

And The Bags Ain't 1/2 The Size They Use To Be!

FJB!

You paid $5/lb for the hanging weight of 545lbs. or $2725?

How much weight did you actually take home?

I'm just asking because I've never bought it that way.
Paid $5lb cut and wrapped @ hanging weight 545. Just have to drive 30 miles for pickup. Last half I bought I paid 1200 plus 300 cut and wrap. Everything I'm hearing this price almost doubled.

Paid $5lb cut and wrapped @ hanging weight 545. Just have to drive 30 miles for pickup. Last half I bought I paid 1200 plus 300 cut and wrap. Everything I'm hearing this price almost doubled.
It's getting expensive. Feeders are over $2/lb live weight around here. Mobile slaughter is $150/head, used to be $75 just a few years ago.

Here's one I butchered a couple of years ago. 1,022 pounds hanging. Had to be around 1,400 live weight. Grain fed for 90 days on Rival Beast and oat hay. When I went to pick it up from the processor they told me it was the nicest beef they'd seen in a while. Picture was taken 50 days before slaughter.

20200909_092430.jpg

I paid $5.49/lb cut and wrapped for my last steer this past December. I figured that was steep but, I also live in California. Nothing is cheap.

Jim

Yes sir, I have a buddy whose kids show jackpot steers and he's the one who recommended the Rival Beast feed. It's a few dollars more expensive per bag but the quality of the meat was phenomenal. Lucky for me we are cattle ranchers so I got a good deal on the steer.?

Here's one I butchered a couple of years ago. 1,022 pounds hanging. Had to be around 1,400 live weight. Grain fed for 90 days on Rival Beast and oat hay. When I went to pick it up from the processor they told me it was the nicest beef they'd seen in a while. Picture was taken 50 days before slaughter.

View attachment 113693
That guy is a beast... Just wish the ranches around here would raise them like that. Willing to pay the price for him.

Hey Eel?

It's Kinda like Adding Up What Venison Costs In The Finished Form but The Beef Doesn't Cost That Damn Much!:D

The Phrase:BUT I NEEDED THE MEAT Just Cracks Me Up!
This year so far I'm out $97 for the license and tag. The cost is only going up from there and no guarantee of a steak.

It takes longer than 90 days of feeding grain to make a big difference. We feed our steers until they are 18-20 months old and they're on finishing rations close to a year. 90 days doesn't get the marbling in the meat like people think.

I like to keep my eyes open for Prime whole top sirloin roasts, they run about $7-8/lb and depending on your cooking method, will rival any steak or roast out there.
Stop talking about the honeyholes.
Do you want to pay $15 next year?

After I made a few of these for my wife she doesn't want to buy filet anymore.

You’re seeing finished out grain fed 1000 lbs ish steers going through the auctions for $2 a pound? The only thing I’m seeing that cheap is old cows and skinny young ones.

You’re seeing finished out grain fed 1000 lbs ish steers going through the auctions for $2 a pound? The only thing I’m seeing that cheap is old cows and skinny young ones.
1000+ pounders are selling for $1.5 and 900-1000 are right at $2. You could butcher those the day you bought if you really wanted, but it shouldn't cost another $1.50-$2.00 to finish them out.

I just bought a half from my cousin. She sells locally through CL. $3.00 a pound hanging weight, $.87 a pound cut and wrapped and split the kill fee of $90.00. Hanging weight was just a hair under 800 pounds. charolais limousin cross.

I just bought a half from my cousin. She sells locally through CL. $3.00 a pound hanging weight, $.87 a pound cut and wrapped and split the kill fee of $90.00. Hanging weight was just a hair under 800 pounds. charolais limousin cross.
It’s nice to have connections. I can’t imagine paying the going rate.

paying $3 a pound for burger as long as i buy over 30 pounds. lot of local farmers are getting there beef butchered locally so saving a lot of cost. The butcher shops are many months out for being booked. Most farmers have currently raised the price to $4 a pound for burger.

Only a small handful of the farmers are having steaks made or other cuts of meat.

Reality is, when we used to raise beef, you end up with. Chit ton of "burger, stew meat".

I eat very few steaks, if I'm gonna eat one I want someone else to cook it and bring me a cocktail while they do.

Everything has skyrocketed. The mutton I ordered is gonna kill me, but it's tradition.

Chicken, unfortunately is still the best protein, but cow sure makes a feller happy

Some are talking cut weight and others hanging weight. and some are talking live weight.

Live weight, 1200lb heifer in Salina Ut on Tuesday would have cost around 1.35 per lb = $1600. Kill on it is around $100 and cut is .75lb hanging weight. Usually figure 66% dress on the live weight, so the 1200lb live weight becomes 800lbs hanging weight. 800 x .75 = $600 cut and wrap plus $100 kill and $1600 cost = $2,300.
How much meat do you get? About 60% of the hanging weight- or around 500lbs goes into your freezer. So at $2,300 total you get 500lbs of meat for a cost of $4.60 per pound.

So the original post of hanging weight at 545 probably returned around 340lbs of meat going in the freezer. 545 x $5 = $2725 divided by 340 = $8ish per pound in the freezer.

Of course not everyone has the resources, knowledge or time to swing in an auction and buy a killable beef- or the connections to get one slaughtered quickly so there is a price we pay for the convenience.

90 days of the proper feed/grain should produce a nice finish. More than that is running dollars thru the animal with little return.
Some of the best flavored beef is "apple" finished. We had an orchard for decades and there is something about an apple fed beef. Now baiting is illegal in Utah, there should be some cheap apple seconds to finish a beef.

The mutton I ordered is gonna kill me, but it's tradition.
This is a great post! Last week, I picked up a 2 year old wether (sheep, not goat and also not a traditional mutton) from the butcher- it was a good one, none of these hair sheep or fad sheep. Some of the best meat a guy could ever eat- most will never understand.

I buy 93% lean ground at 3.49/lb and Bone- in Ribeye at 5.99/,lb. I don't buy much else except babyback ribs at 2.99 lb and occasional roasts or petite sirloin at 3.99.

The wife and I try to be thrifty, and watch sales. Buying prime rib roasts at the holiday for $3-4, and cutting your own steaks is one way. Cooking a whole top sirloin roast or brisket will provide 4-6 meals.

We buy the quality packaged chicken from Sam's or Costco, but they are so large we filet them in half. Pork loins or tenderloins get cut and packaged smaller, while cheap butts get made into huge batches of pulled pork and frozen. Add sauces when you actually thaw out to eat.

For wild game, I eat elk and whitetail loin steaks. Anything else the grandkids get as burger and jerky

Quality is usually cheaper and better in the long run, and enjoyable. I like good food, good whiskey, and craft beers too!!

The wife and I try to be thrifty, and watch sales. Buying prime rib roasts at the holiday for $3-4, and cutting your own steaks is one way. Cooking a whole top sirloin roast or brisket will provide 4-6 meals.

We buy the quality packaged chicken from Sam's or Costco, but they are so large we filet them in half. Pork loins or tenderloins get cut and packaged smaller, while cheap butts get made into huge batches of pulled pork and frozen. Add sauces when you actually thaw out to eat.

For wild game, I eat elk and whitetail loin steaks. Anything else the grandkids get as burger and jerky

Quality is usually cheaper and better in the long run, and enjoyable. I like good food, good whiskey, and craft beers too!!

For 80% more……. you can go First Class. 80% more effort… that is.

How about a family reunion ? I got a 100 piece fried chicken meal at the end of my family reunion today. LOL. It is going to a Bacon Jalapeño Casserole, Chicken soup and freeze what we don't eat.

Chicken tortilla or taco soup, chicken enchiladas, shredded chicken and cream cheese wontons, I would be too busy eating the crispy skin while I picked them clean to eat any of the meat tonight. Boy, what a problem to have!!

Chicken tortilla or taco soup, chicken enchiladas, shredded chicken and cream cheese wontons, I would be too busy eating the crispy skin while I picked them clean to eat any of the meat tonight. Boy, what a problem to have!!
Thank you- I knew you would chime in and I appreciate it ! The enchiladas and taco soup sound great and I can do that. The Wontons make good appetizers.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom