What hunting is all about

T_Ball

My 15 year old daughter Tayler had never hunted anything before this hunt. In January 2015 she decided she finally wanted to take hunter's safety. Last year I put her in for hunts but she didn't draw a tag. So when I saw that one of my two daughters had drawn a tag I thought it might be my older daughter who had more points. To my surprise it was my younger one with "0" points.

I thought to myself what a great hunt to get her started hunting. She was a little excited to say the least. We went out scouting a few times. The first time we went she kept asking me why I called them speed goats. She soon found out and said, "How am I supposed to shoot one running that fast. I just laughed and said your not supposed to shoot them when you they running.

Friday afternoon came and we finally able to head up to camp. It was a great night scouting and just sitting around the camp fire with her grandpa and me. The next morning came and she was ready to go. We had made a plan the night before to be opening morning. Well wouldn't you know as we were hiking to our spot we notice a bit a way two antelope. Couldn't tell what they were, so we tried to get a closer look, abandoning our original plan. After thirty minutes of trying to get a closer look without them seeing us it was two does. We decided to go back to our original plan. As we headed down my dad said that the antelope were already where we were supposed to be. We tried to get down to where they were but they were spooked and they all took off.

About an hour later we decided to walk out and see where one buck went. As we were walking we saw him over 500 yards away on a ridge. It wasn't a good shot for my daughter, So we waited to see if he would get closer or if we could move closer. As we were waiting we heard some shots ring out and the buck took off.

In the afternoon we decided to go to a different canyon. We got into some smaller bucks and I let her decide if she wanted to shoot them or not. She said no and we kept on looking. Then later we found a heard and waited. There were three bucks in the heard with one being awesome. We waited as the larger buck sent out doe after doe and smaller buck after smaller buck from behind a knoll. She passed on some of these smaller but nice bucks wanting to get the bigger one. When he didn't come out she decided to take one of the ones that already had. I waited for her to get set up and then she shot and missed. She turned and said she couldn't get her eye to stop twitching. She was devastated. She didn't talk on the ride back to camp. I knew the feeling of missing a buck. No words help. She went to bed early that night. I couldn't blame her.

The next morning we got up and she was ready to go again. We chased a few bucks around the mountains trying to get her a good shot, but never could. Then we found a doe and a buck standing on a hill. We waited for them to drop down and when they did I told her we needed to hurry to get in position. As we were they came up right in front of us at 75 yards. I knew she would get one now. As I waited as patient as I could. She finally let a bullet fly. And yep she missed again. After another bullet was in the chamber she asked can I take another shot. The buck had went out to 300 yards and stopped. I said sure, go ahead. She then asked, "Do I have to use these shooting sticks?" I said shoot however you want. So she let the shooting sticks drop and she let a bullet fly standing up and dropped the buck. After some high fives and some woohoo's, she says dad, I hate using those shooting sticks. How could I argue that. What a great time to be with my daughter.
11568taylerslope.jpg

Thanks. It was a fun hunt! It will sure make for memories down the road!! One thing that I forgot to include is she told us she had dreams of shooting a nice buck. She said she kept remember her dream. Gotta love it when they have dreams before the hunt.

Really cool! Nice looking buck. Just think, if she had hit the first buck, she would have missed out on a second day of hunting. Think of it as catch and release. Congrats!

I am still glad that she missed the first day so I could bring two of my girls with the second. She made a great shot!! Thanks again for letting us tag along.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-24-16 AT 11:47AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-24-16 AT 11:46?AM (MST)

What a great introduction to hunting, even with the misses! Congratulations on a fine looking buck, Tayler and dad! You make a great team.

I love reading stories like that. Giving a youngster a great experience is as good as it gets and a "speed goat" hunt is a great first experience for any novice hunter.
Congrats to all involved.

A memory that will endure!

Congrats. You all did well. Way to bring her up and teach her hunting. Some awesome memories made there. Thanks for sharing

Thanks for the nice comments. The memories will live on for a long time. Overtime I think about it i smile and laugh. Her and her sister can't wait to go out on the deer hunt. Can't wait for more stories and memories.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom