Where are the Turkeys

drophorn

LAST EDITED ON May-10-04 AT 03:37PM (MST)[p]OK the turkey season has been open here in AZ for two weeks now and I have heard of only two turkeys been taken on the North Kaibab. Has any body out there had any better luck?????

I went on my first turkey hunt up in unit 23 weekend before last. We didn't score, but got into some action. As was predicted by a couple of folks on this board, it seemed a little late, as the gobblers were not quite doing their thing.... I talked to a guy who had the split season, and he said that earlier on they were going crazy in the area we were hunting.

We had two VERY close encounters with gobblers, as well as many 'not so close' encounters. Even though they weren't making much noise after 6:30ish, we still were able to get a couple to come in silent. I'm hoping to get up for a day this weekend to give it another shot.

Even though I didn't bag a bird, I fell in love with spring turkey hunting. I can't believe I waited so long to give it a try! When you're on your butt, those birds can look HUGE when they get close! What a rush! I'm hooked!

S.

:)

Hunted the "FIRST" hunt,on the Kaibab,back on the Opener/April 23rd.We had 6 tags in Our camp,filled one,on a GOOD 2 1/2 year old Gobbler on opening day.Roosted another Gobbler Fri night and setup on him a.m. Early on Sat. morning,bird came in like on a "String",first time Turkey hunter "FrozeUp",kinda like Buck Fever,Turkey Fever on this hunt,I guess ???Went home after 3 days of hunting,going back to try again this weekend,with Partner.Will hunt "Water",as The Rut is over,Gobblers sound off while on the Roost,but say "Nothing" when once on the ground.But Gobblers still got to "DRINK",Good Luck,to those still trying ---

AZbiggame, I am glad you guys got into a few birds, but I still have to give you a hard time. When are turkeys born in AZ? Are you sure you are shooting 2 1/2 year old birds during the spring? haha...

I will chalk it up to you spending most of your time chasing the hairy animals during the fall. :)

Here is a shot of a MT bird I took this season. I am glad he wasn't too sharp as I shot him on the way back to my pick-up when I was looking for sheds instead of turks.
http://www.hunttalk.com/albums/2004-Birds/Axl_MT_turkey.sized.jpg[\img]

BTW, I am the one not in the picture.

I am headed to the Black Hills this week. Hopefully they have dumb birds there as well.

Turkeys not gobbling after 6:30, toms henned up, toms hung up at 100yds and won't come in....hey thats turkey hunting whether you are hunting at the beginning of the season or the end. Nobody can predict turkey behavior not even turkeys...LOL. For those that haven't hunted turkeys much thats just the beginning. Thats what makes turkey hunting fun, unpredictable and an obsession/addictive. Welcome to the world of turkey hunting.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

I agree that's turkey hunting. I'll predict that if you get out there this weekend that the turkey's will be talking more. Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom