Who are you voting for in the Utah primary for Governor?

Who will you be voting for in the Utah Republican primary for Governor?

• Huntsman

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Cox

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Wright

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Hughes

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Show results-not voting

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

Oneye

If you’re voting in the primary for the Republican parties choice of candidate for Utah’s next Governor, who are you voting for? Please only answer if you’re going to vote in the poll.

Who’s the best choice for the sportsman ?
Cox.

Huntsman has said he supports the "acquisition" of public land to be turned into "affordable housing" which of course means our public lands are mowed over for subdivisions. Hughes is a sworn enemy of public land and Wright picked Rob Bishop as his VP.

From Cox website, "As governor, Spencer is committed to keeping Utah’s public lands public—and will take steps to involve our citizens in the creation and implementation of public lands policies."

Thanks Grizz
That gives me some real info to help sway my vote.
I am back and forth between Cox and Huntsman.
I think Huntsman would be better on the national political front. But I hope Cox will be better for the everyday Utahn, he probably will be more approachable.

Cox.

Huntsman has said he supports the "acquisition" of public land to be turned into "affordable housing" which of course means our public lands are mowed over for subdivisions. Hughes is a sworn enemy of public land and Wright picked Rob Bishop as his VP.

From Cox website, "As governor, Spencer is committed to keeping Utah’s public lands public—and will take steps to involve our citizens in the creation and implementation of public lands policies."
Curious, does Huntsman have anything really stated? I looked but couldn’t find anything, but when talking about it he also never mentions transfer. I voted for Huntsman, Cox is good too. I just felt like Huntsman leadership, experience, and connections are a good thing to have during this crazy time. I also expect Huntsman to be the actually most moderate candidate once he’s elected, and as he’s shown in the past has no issue ruffling the feathers of the states legislature which is heavily on board with transfer. Cox is a good candidate, but I expect him to be more of a go with the flow kind of guy when it comes to the legislature. Those two are the only choices though for sure. Wrights okay, but not with Bishop as his running mate.

Cox is just another Herbert.....done nothing for the public hunter. He did nothing when SFW stole the Expo.
I do think Cox will side with agriculture guys more than sportsmen for sure. I decided to vote for Huntsman because he never mentioned transferring the lands, and he’s shown in the past he’s not afraid to not be in lock step with our legislature who is pretty anti-public lands in a lot of sections. Cox will be a good Governor, I think Huntsman will be a little better. I think people hold him leaving against him a little bit Huntsman laid a lot of the foundation for the coat-tails of success Herbert got. Huntsman is probably the best Governor we’ve had and I trust him to lead us through all the current craziness. His experience and relationships abroad will help Utah. Again, I’m pro Cox, but more pro Huntsman.

Curious, does Huntsman have anything really stated

He took the verbiage about supporting "acquisition" off his website a few weeks ago... about the time he decided to court the moderate vote as opposed to the conservative primary voter.

Here was Huntsman's answer to a Trib question where you see him virtually split off BLM & USFS land as expendable. It's not as clear as his "acquisition" for "affordable housing" as he said on his website, but there is also not a clear dedication to keeping the land public as Cox has said. ...
Screenshot_20200612-175337_Samsung Internet.jpg

Notice the part about federal land being "sold"

If I had to guess which one has spent more time on a wheeler or hiking or hunting if the two... I'd guess Cox, but I could be wrong.

He took the verbiage about supporting "acquisition" off his website a few weeks ago... about the time he decided to court the moderate vote as opposed to the conservative primary voter.

Here was Huntsman's answer to a Trib question where you see him virtually split off BLM & USFS land as expendable. It's not as clear as his "acquisition" for "affordable housing" as he said on his website, but there is also not a clear dedication to keeping the land public as Cox has said. ...
View attachment 8315
Notice the part about federal land being "sold"

If I had to guess which one has spent more time on a wheeler or hiking or hunting if the two... I'd guess Cox, but I could be wrong.
Interesting, I must have not seen this article. As long as it’s not Hughes or Wright I’m fine with those two. They’re the best of the candidates.

Interesting, I must have not seen this article. As long as it’s not Hughes or Wright I’m fine with those two. They’re the best of the candidates.
Agreed.

That's a screen shot from the Tribs "meet the candidates" article. It's still there for anybody who's interested.

Huntsman spoke at the Expo Banquet Saturday night, he definitely seems on board with Sportsmen.
His quote was "if I am governor, there will be no damn wolves in our state!"

Huntsman spoke at the Expo Banquet Saturday night, he definitely seems on board with Sportsmen.
His quote was "if I am governor, there will be no damn wolves in our state!"
The biggest wolves in this state are the ones trying to privatize public land. That's one policy that can never be changed. Once the land is sold, it's gone FOREVER

Huntsman is just another establishment sell-out, who will ditch Utah the second another ambassadorship drops in his lap. He cut and run the last time he had the governorship - why would anyone expect different this time?
Bill

Huntsman is just another establishment sell-out, who will ditch Utah the second another ambassadorship drops in his lap. He cut and run the last time he had the governorship - why would anyone expect different this time?
Bill
He was called by the President of the United States to likely the most geopolitically important post in the world by the President of an opposing Party. And it was because he was well-qualified (not for raising him money like the esteemed former Ambassador to the United Nations we all got to know) and Huntsman accepted the call to serve.

He didn't "sell-out" any more than Brent Taylor did when he left his mayoral office to serve on Afghanistan.

A "sell-out" would be somebody like Chaffetz who quit six months into his term to go to FNC and costing Utahn's over $675,000 to hold a special election for his replacement..

Last edited:
Guys.

Give Grizz credit.

if I’m not mistaken he has mentioned he believed Huntsman would have been his choice for President.

So him standing on a principle and not a candidate deserves credit.

Buts let’s be honest. Most Ambassadorships are “bought”

Huntsman would no where have been the most qualified for that position. But a deep pocketed family suddenly makes you so.

“No damn wolves in Utah”, is $$$$ to BGF Ears!

is there really anything close to a good candidate? They all look like a Romney. Politicians that have never had a real job and never been in the real world. It’s all about image to them, status in society. I don’t think anyone of them give a damn about anything except being elected. They are sellouts

Bill
I truly don’t get why that is held against him. He was literally called to serve for his country and did. He was also a great Governor who paved much of the foundation Herbert and Cox have been riding.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom