Who eats lobster?

Love lobster. Quite possibly my favorite food on the planet. Won’t buy when its pricey, but have very much overdone it at times when cheap. Especially when in New England!

I grew up in New England. Lobster is one of my favorite foods but I won't eat it in a restaurant or when it has been frozen. The only way is live, steamed or boiled, dipped in melted butter.

Fresh lobster is great, ’fresh’ frozen is not. If it smells fishy before cooking it won’t be very good.
70AD7151-0A25-4190-A9F3-45ED020DB9D5.jpeg
6B9BCA08-A9A7-44D7-A46B-8A51B809E970.jpeg

Couldn't you drown shrimp in butter and it be the same thing...and cheaper?
I've had halibut many times and always seem to compare the current from the last. I think halibut is easy to over cook or dry out....

I like lobster. But prefer Dungeness crab. Who’s had halibut cheeks? Call it poor man’s lobster but it beats a bug all day long
I have a package thawing right now. My friend is a processor and they are not allowed to sell the cheeks with so he hooks me up. I usually get around 8 to 10 3 lb bags. Love them.

Also if you guys like king crab but don’t want to pay the crazy price there’s a few vendors of crab tails that are delicious and are usually 30% less than retail.

98CFC574-BD50-431B-AC98-7E08679070AC.jpeg

I have a package thawing right now. My friend is a processor and they are not allowed to sell the cheeks with so he hooks me up. I usually get around 8 to 10 3 lb bags. Love them.

Also if you guys like king crab but don’t want to pay the crazy price there’s a few vendors of crab tails that are delicious and are usually 30% less than retail.

View attachment 96644
Butt cheeks! LOL!!!

WTH are crab tails?

View attachment 96644
*cheeks

My lobster meals have been limited to around a couple dozen, so I haven’t eaten enough to have ever had a bad one. All I’ve ever eaten were amazing, so I eat it when ever I get a chance, fresh or frozen. All delicious.

Crab is almost as good as lobster, in my mind. Never eaten any that weren’t excellent. The crab I ate on the coast of Virginia was something different and it was cooked in some sort of dry rub seasoning and was good I nearly foundered on it.

We’ve expanded this to shrimp, crab, crayfish, and halibut cheeks.

I love shrimp, large or small, fresh or frozen. Lobster and shrimp taste very different to me. Lobster is much better. Richer.

Never eaten halibut cheeks but I really like halibut filets. Fresh caught halibut and frozen seem like hardly the same fish to me, fresh is much much better.

Crayfish. Delicious. I ordered 10 pounds last fall, from an outfit out of Louisiana. In including the season salts, and the airfare and delivery to my door in So. Central Utah (165 miles from the airport) it came to $94.00 total. Crayfish arrive alive, only one was dead. They where outstanding and more than enough to make a full meal for four couples. Plan on doing it twice next summer.

Truthful, I’m bored with red meat, pork and chicken. It takes a pretty special steak, roast or pork chop to get my attention anymore. Don’t eat salmon or anything from the trout or char family. Ocean white meat fish and crustaceans are my salvation, now days.

Now deer liver……….. that’s an entirely different level of great meals. Didn’t get a liver this fall…….. these road kills are looking better everyday!!!! ?

View attachment 96644
Man that’s gold right there. I don’t know how you cook them but I’ve always boiled/poached them in 7 up or sprite.

@Lumpy "Now deer liver……….. that’s an entirely different level of great meals. Didn’t get a liver this fall…….. these road kills are looking better everyday!!!! ?"

I hear you on the "regular" meats getting boring. I have started to dive deeper into looking for other ways to cook red meat and chicken. We've got a few good recipes for ground turkey and chick pea pasta....very healthy and delicious.

Liver has never been doable for me. I always pull the heart and the liver out for my Dad if he's on with me on a hunt. He was ecstatic with the size of the elk heart we got on Monroe. I am sure he made 3 meals out of it.

I have been using a hot and spicy chicken breading on my venison lately and it is AMAZING!

We get these little tails for $5 each at the local grocery store. Eat them all the time with venison backstrap. I love lobster.
View attachment 96661
I used to get them here locally for $7.95 each. They are four/five ounces. I’d buy them at that price, but since the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 came to town they have nearly doubled. Same with crab prices. Won’t spend that kind of money very often. They’ll get me once in a while but I’ll make do with shrimp and crayfish for now. Now that the White House is giving them to the Frenchmen, my guess is the price of Maine lobster will stay up there. Whole Food’s isn’t buying any from here on out but the Green New Deal folks are, so I’m not expecting any good sale prices over the next couple years.

Wife and I learned the hard way you ask the market price for the jumbo tails at the Star in Elko before you order lol. Bout fell outta the chair when we got the bill. Was worth it tho. A pound a tail was 150 per at that time.

Lobster can be great or no so great- like most things care and prep make a huge difference. I used to have a cheap source for fresh so I experimented a lot. Prepared correctly, it is amazing table fare.

Anyone tried so called "poor mans lobster?" Boiled cod and lots of garlic butter. Doesn't sound too bad. I'm going to give it a try.

My dad absolutely loves lobster so we order them a couple of times a year and have delivered live from Maine. We usually order the 2&1/2 - 3 pounders.

20170618_135415.jpg

Lobster can be great or no so great- like most things care and prep make a huge difference. I used to have a cheap source for fresh so I experimented a lot. Prepared correctly, it is amazing table fare.
Please share your “prepared correctly”.

I’ve screwed up a lot of otherwise great food.

Seriously, what is your preparation process. Thanks.

Hopefully, tomorrow I'll post a picture of why I've only eaten lobster once in my life. I liked lobster though.

The ocean is forecast to be 5' swell every 14 seconds out of the north so not too bad.

Anyone tried so called "poor mans lobster?" Boiled cod and lots of garlic butter. Doesn't sound too bad. I'm going to give it a try.
Every where I’ve gone, that doesn’t have lobster, has some kind of fish meal they call a “poor man’s lobster” meal, around the campfire.

What It has amounted to is large pot of boiling water, they add various seasoning salts, a half dozen large onions, sliced in half, some add corn on the cob and whole small potatoes and maybe some lemon or oranges cut in half. I’ve had northern pike, lake trout, and halibut. None of them had the texture of lobster and they dang sure didn’t taste like lobster but maybe my tastes buds are wonky. Certainly won’t hurt to give it a try.

Similar to how I’ve always eaten halibut cheeks. I’m telling ya poach them in some 7 up or sprite. Should work with cod too. Once it floats it’s done. Everyone over cooks fish

Love it ...but its not good for my Gout along with all other seafood that I love..???
My aunt used to ship it to me from Bangor Maine when she lived there. My cousin is still there I might have to give him a call and order after reading this dam thread.. I will only be miserable for a few days after LMAO...

Please share your “prepared correctly”.

I’ve screwed up a lot of otherwise great food.

Seriously, what is your preparation process. Thanks.
To put simply, don't overcook. Most people error on the side of caution and cook just a little to long. That changes the tenderness, taste and smell...

Wife and I learned the hard way you ask the market price for the jumbo tails at the Star in Elko before you order lol. Bout fell outta the chair when we got the bill. Was worth it tho. A pound a tail was 150 per at that time.
What isn't good at the Star?

I used to get them here locally for $7.95 each. They are four/five ounces. I’d buy them at that price, but since the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 came to town they have nearly doubled. Same with crab prices. Won’t spend that kind of money very often. They’ll get me once in a while but I’ll make do with shrimp and crayfish for now. Now that the White House is giving them to the Frenchmen, my guess is the price of Maine lobster will stay up there. Whole Food’s isn’t buying any from here on out but the Green New Deal folks are, so I’m not expecting any good sale prices over the next couple years.
That is borderline political talk, be careful 2lumpy.
maybe my tastes buds are wonky.
You live in Sevier County, too much turkey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom