Zion Desert Big Horn Tag

mlg

My good friend was lucky enough to draw this once in a lifetime tag this year. I'm interested in starting points, as I am going to help him start scouting. Thanks in advance for any information.

For starters, swarming gnats will severely limit any serious spotting this time of year. You'll have to wait til Fall to get relief from them. Desert sheep are hard to see, and finding them usually requires hours of careful long range glassing, especially in the Zion, which has way more cover than most desert sheep units.

Get to know good glassing points and make sure you have top quality optics. There are sheep along the Virgin River drainage and around Canaan Mountain but if you've never hunted desert sheep before, it's probably not going to be easy to locate them. Despite the Zion being a great unit, finding good rams is no cake walk.
Good luck

>You're in good hands now with
>lbh!
>
>Listen and take notes for hell
>sakes
>
>Robb

Plus 1^^^^

Zeke

#livelikezac

Congrats to Dave on this great ram!!
69738img0722.jpg

>Unfortunately we saw one ewe violently
>coughing. Didn?t see any
>lambs either.

I hate to hear that... Congrats on a great ram!!!

Great looking Ram

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Very nice ram! Congrats

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Congratulations to your friend mlg. I hope you had a great hunt.
Unfortunately, if you found a ewe coughing, the unit is likely to nose dive. That would be tragic! I hope you reported the ewe to the UDWR.

Regardless, there's no finer trophy than a heavy old desert ram!

Thanks, it really was a hunt of a lifetime in an absolutely gorgeous setting!!
I reported the coughing ewe to the biologist.
I am hopeful that the sheep numbers won't drastically go down but understand the reality of it.
The unit is truly a magical place!!

Kudos to you for helping your friend mlg. Indeed a "magical" arena for what I think is the ultimate hunting adventure. We can all only hope for a miracle that it remains that way!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom