90/10 not going away...

Well boys we made it to over 1000 posts. A quick summary for those new to the thread.

Wyoming decided to get allocation for the big 5 closer to other states by 90/10

A guy from CO cried and tried to represent the NR hunt…poorly

A working group/task force was created and many meeting were held

A guy from CO posted misinformation, charts with incorrect data etc all trying to prove his points.

Task force held meeting all over the state regarding 90/10 etc

Guy from CO kept grasping at straws to prove how bad 90/10 would be. Shows more incorrect “data”

Many questions for task force and the obvious was made apparent. 90/10 is what the people wanted

Guy from CO posts questions demanding answers but never answers questions directed towards him

90/10 passes.

Guy from CO cries into his pillow before he bites it. Wakes up the next morning with regret but still posts misinformation, and dodges questions.

Guy Eastman decides to get drunk and post. He doesn’t like the comparison to Biden and reaches out to said commentary.

Guy from CO rides off into the cheatgrass sunset to never be heard from again.

Ok I made that last line up.

I'm back!!!! It's been a great week of chatting with other cheatgrass enthusiasts!

In reality, Wyo res could be screwing themselves with 90/10…especially with 90/10 for sheep and moose. If you are a Wyo res with high sheep or moose pts…read on.

Big question? Will Wyo switch over to a bonus pt system? Bonus pts may not be all that it's cracked up to be for Wyo res. It’s obvious that the current pref pt system for sheep and moose is meaningless except for those with the max pts required to draw tags but what if you have lots of years invested in the sheep and moose pref pt system? Obviously those with low pts are all in favor of the change.

If I was a Wyo res with high pref pts for sheep or moose I would be mighty pissed if suddenly it was switched to some sort of bonus pt system and my odds of drawing these high demand tags are suddenly shattered.

In reality,
Wyo res are getting very few additional sheep tags from nonres and there are so many applicants their draw odds will basically stay the same with 90/10. The false impression is that suddenly res draw odds will improve,,,,that is hogwash! In fact, the number of nonres hunters that move into Wyo in the coming years is likely a lot higher than the hand full of additional tags issued. If you can't draw Wyo tags as a nonres you might as well retire and join the ranks of being a Wyo res!

If I was a Wyo res with high pts I would seriously consider compiling a handy-dandy chart that SS loves so dearly! You may be shocked to see how your draw odds as a Wyo res dramatically decrease with a bonus pt system. You may want to make sure to point this out at the next Task Force meeting or it may be too late?

In a way, Wyo has really shot themselves in the foot with 90/10! Not only by Wg&f revenue loss as a steady revenue generator but also potentially a drop in draw odds for those res with high pts if switched to a bonus pt system.

Wyo res with high sheep and moose pts…good luck in the draw! It may benefit you to research this and draw a tag soon? I can pretty much assure that you will get screwed with a bonus pt system!

Not only are nonres getting screwed by 90/10 but potentially a bunch of Wyo res!

Last edited:
Wyo res won the 90/10 battle for big 5 but have they truly won? Wyo res will gain a handful of tags but at the expense of thousands of nonres hunters with immediate revenue loss to the Wg&f. I guess time will tell the long-term impacts to Wyo?

Life goes on but nonres across the country that have invested 15 to 20+ years and $ into applying for these high demand tags dreams have been shattered. Very sad days ahead for DIY/OYO nonres hunters. One more door has just been closed in our Western US hunting heritage!

Last edited:
Wyo res won the 90/10 battle for big 5 but have they truly won? Wyo res will gain a handful of tags but at the expense of thousands of nonres hunters with immediate revenue loss to the Wg&f. I guess time will tell the long-term impacts to Wyo?

Life goes on but nonres across the country that have invested 15 to 20+ years and $ into applying for these high demand tags dreams have been shattered. Very sad days ahead for DIY/OYO nonres hunters. One more door has just been closed in our Western US hunting heritage!

You failed to answer the question......waiting.

Get over it...and answer the questions.

Ranting about residents screwing you....and asking for help?

Don't think you'll have much luck getting your questions answered.

Good luck in the draw!
23rd year applying. Don’t think I’ll need a random tag, but wouldn’t turn one down. Just pointing out that in the future there is no way it stays preference only. I’ll cash mine in this may if a few prayers are answered.

Answer the questions

If they would just honor my points and give me my sheep tag this May, then I’d look the other way. Heck, I’ll even chime in on what a good change this is and how it makes sense.

I don’t want to have to move to Wyoming. I guess we will find out what happens in May.

If they would just honor my points and give me my sheep tag this May, then I’d look the other way. Heck, I’ll even chime in on what a good change this is and how it makes sense.

I don’t want to have to move to Wyoming. I guess we will find out what happens in May.
But if they don't just give you a tag... boy are they in for it!

I'm a Canadian resident and happy to be able to go to a state and hunt as a Non-resident, regardless of allocation split. Its one issue I wish was different in Canada was the need to have a 'host' in Canadian provinces (even among Canadian hunters).

Interesting to watch how it all develops, but I'm sure thankful for the opportunities

I'm a Canadian resident and happy to be able to go to a state and hunt as a Non-resident, regardless of allocation split. Its one issue I wish was different in Canada was the need to have a 'host' in Canadian provinces (even among Canadian hunters).

Interesting to watch how it all develops, but I'm sure thankful for the opportunities
Sometimes people sit and watch there opportunities go down the tube, without ever making the most of them. Then it’s the end of the world when they lose them.
It’s not, human behavior to enjoy opportunities without them becoming entitlements. Yes it does suck to lose opportunities!!!!!!

Said it before and I'll say it again. We all get to choose where we live. If you want a say in how WY allocates tags then become a resident. That is the irony for the long term WY residents. Many are and will choose to move there for the natural beauty and resources. I'm pretty sure the number of allocated tags that are changing will be consumed by the number of people moving to WY in the near future. ;)

Said it before and I'll say it again. We all get to choose where we live. If you want a say in how WY allocates tags then become a resident. That is the irony for the long term WY residents. Many are and will choose to move there for the natural beauty and resources. I'm pretty sure the number of allocated tags that are changing will be consumed by the number of people moving to WY in the near future. ;)
Allot of people will continue to leave because of the wind and bad winters and lack of steady jobs too

Yeah and there won't be enough money to fund the G&F, especially after all the lawsuits. Man, the torture of hearing and reading this same stuff, over and over and over again, makes me want to go back to the way it was. NOT!

I guarantee more people move into Wyo than the handful of tags gained by 90/10! How many additional tags will be issued to res for sheep in 2023? Your draw odds are actually getting worse every year. I bet it won’t be too terribly long and general deer and elk tags will be limited as Wyo population grows.

Is 90/10 really worth all the headaches?

I guarantee more people move into Wyo than the handful of tags gained by 90/10! How many additional tags will be issued to res for sheep in 2023? Your draw odds are actually getting worse every year. I bet it won’t be too terribly long and general deer and elk tags will be limited as Wyo population grows.

Our general deer and elk tags are Iimited most people dont know that the limit has never been met

You know how to prove your point?

For all NR to not buy tags/licenses, and not visit Wyoming.

But, given the number of dudes chasing tags in Wyoming, that ain't going to happen

Like it or not, the market speaks. And the market, despite 90/10, or cost, is still sitting quiet.

Wyoming, or any other state, will know if they've gone to far, by a drop off in tag purchases.

I'm guessing they ain't there yet?

Or, if you don't like what Wyoming is doing, stay home. No one there cares about any NR opinion. The only opinions that matter are R.

Same as any other state
We can stay home and write checks to Western Watershed project, to be used exclusively in Wy.

Yes, but the population increase is not in response to a 90/10 move...the larger forces that have all western states experiencing population booms are what will drive this. If anything you are making a case for 90/10...or 100/0...WY residents are going to increase, demand will be high, so why leave any for NRs?

I say 90-5-5. 90% to Wyo Native Americans, 5% Wyo res that aren’t Native Americans, 5% to nonres makes a lot of sense. Who are truly native res in Wyo?

Wyoming Native Americans are largely not subject to any State quota...so the posts above are nonsensical. In fact I know several tribal folks who live in Idaho and Mt that hunt wyoming every year without any state license.

The number of people moving to Wyoming due to 90/10 is the same amount of towns that will suffer because of 90/10. ? ….. zero.

The only headache is in your head wondering why no one listens to you.

In wyoming they have to draw a tag or buy a general tag to hunt outside of the reservation but not many do since the hunting is generally better on the rez
The Crow Tribe of Montana won their Supreme Court case and can hunt the public unoccuppied lands of their original 1868 Treaty in the Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming so no wyoming tag is needed. But yes as you stated the elk and deer hunting is as good or better on the Crow and I haven't heard of any using it since the decision. Basically Wyoming Fish and Game has always been at odds with them so they decided to prove a point legally. Good for them.

The Crow Tribe of Montana won their Supreme Court case and can hunt the public unoccuppied lands of their original 1868 Treaty in the Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming so no wyoming tag is needed. But yes as you stated the elk and deer hunting is as good or better on the Crow and I haven't heard of any using it since the decision. Basically Wyoming Fish and Game has always been at odds with them so they decided to prove a point legally. Good for them.
Riiight. Except they didn’t take all the meat and look up what Herrera has done and been charged with since then.

The number of people moving to Wyoming due to 90/10 is the same amount of towns that will suffer because of 90/10. ? ….. zero.

The only headache is in your head wondering why no one listens to you.
I’m moving there because of it.

In wyoming they have to draw a tag or buy a general tag to hunt outside of the reservation but not many do since the hunting is generally better on the rez
Not true at all. Many tribes have treaties which secure their right to hunt and it is not bound to reservation at all. They hunt lots of public land and WY has ZERO jurisdiction. I know more and more tribal members from Idaho hunting Wyoming every year. They are not bound to state season dates so they may not be as visible.

Riiight. Except they didn’t take all the meat and look up what Herrera has done and been charged with since then.
Your missing the point. Don't care about what one person out of that group of tribal hunters did later on that is irrelevant to the Supreme Court upholding Native Americans previous treaty hunting rights. Same with the meat thing. Many Alaska resident hunters get cited for the same thing every year. I've lived up there twice, doesn't mean all Alaska residents are douche bags. Most aren't, I hunt the Crow at least twice a year and have for almost a decade and all my friends up there use all the meat and are thankful for it.

Your missing the point. Don't care about what one person out of that group of tribal hunters did later on that is irrelevant to the Supreme Court upholding Native Americans previous treaty hunting rights. Same with the meat thing. Many Alaska resident hunters get cited for the same thing every year. I've lived up there twice, doesn't mean all Alaska residents are douche bags. Most aren't, I hunt the Crow at least twice a year and have for almost a decade and all my friends up there use all the meat and are thankful for it.
Meh. We know you sell their hunts. Good for you on making a dime off of them. They lost the war and we shouldn’t have to pay for it now. FFS they had home field advantage! And now we need to let him run over shooting animals and collect food stamps? Hell no.

Meh. We know you sell their hunts. Good for you on making a dime off of them. They lost the war and we shouldn’t have to pay for it now. FFS they had home field advantage! And now we need to let him run over shooting animals and collect food stamps? Hell
Already decided but I doubt it'll get any use. Just answering a question from a previous post. Welcome, but it's only a nickel!!!

Besides I thought we were supposed to get this thread off tangent and we can't stop till there's 1 million posts!!!

Last edited:
Not true at all. Many tribes have treaties which secure their right to hunt and it is not bound to reservation at all. They hunt lots of public land and WY has ZERO jurisdiction. I know more and more tribal members from Idaho hunting Wyoming every year. They are not bound to state season dates so they may not be as visible.
Can they hunt any species? Just asking because if true they could do a world of hurt to the sheep population if a lot of them were serious sheep hunters.

I was just waiting for permission from MM key board warriors.
Don’t really need Wy. Tags.
Wy. did it half axed. Should have been 100% for residents.

Good on Wyoming for going to 90/10.

I wish Colorado would get on board with putting Resident hunters first. My boys have no interest in big game hunting, at least here in Colorado because the times we've gone together we spend half of our short rifle season trying to find places to hunt without an army of nonresident hunters occupying every ridge.

Too much Nonresident opportunity can be a bad thing. Just about all private land in Colorado is leased to outfitters or groups of nonresidents, so our WIA is pathetic at best. We will never have an access program like Montana or Wyoming. I've sat out seasons due to not being able to draw a 0 point deer tag, but see nonresidents swarming Craig. Again the public lands are so crowded that we've thrown in the towel during hunts and just went home because we cant get away from other hunters, and lastly nonresidents generally stay for the duration of the season grinding out the game.

I personally think 90/10 for all species is the best ratio for all states that have high demand for limited resources. Its not like any western state is like Mississippi with million+ deer herd. Some nonresidents should be thankful they can go to Walmart and buy multiple deer tags for month+ long seasons!

Good on Wyoming for going to 90/10.

I wish Colorado would get on board with putting Resident hunters first. My boys have no interest in big game hunting, at least here in Colorado because the times we've gone together we spend half of our short rifle season trying to find places to hunt without an army of nonresident hunters occupying every ridge.

Too much Nonresident opportunity can be a bad thing. Just about all private land in Colorado is leased to outfitters or groups of nonresidents, so our WIA is pathetic at best. We will never have an access program like Montana or Wyoming. I've sat out seasons due to not being able to draw a 0 point deer tag, but see nonresidents swarming Craig. Again the public lands are so crowded that we've thrown in the towel during hunts and just went home because we cant get away from other hunters, and lastly nonresidents generally stay for the duration of the season grinding out the game.

I personally think 90/10 for all species is the best ratio for all states that have high demand for limited resources. Its not like any western state is like Mississippi with million+ deer herd. Some nonresidents should be thankful they can go to Walmart and buy multiple deer tags for month+ long seasons!

Just a point of clarity, anyone can walk into a Walmart and buy multiple deer tags and hunt for months in most Eastern states, not limited to just residents.

I wish Wyoming would go to a random draw for NR. It makes draw day more fun when you know you have a tiny chance for a good tag. Unlike some of the hunts where no chance exist for random due to the regular/special fee license allotments.

Sure don't see them taking advantage of it if what you say is true
A lot of sheep areas are not easy for folks to access. Also, its not as though Tribes are limited to state seasons...but I don't have a good feel for how much S/M/G harvest occurs. My only point was it is absolutely 1000% true that many tribes have the right to hunt most all public land in wyoming without concern of any state regulation/quota or season for any species...deer, elk, sheep etc. I suspect given the direction of western hunting you will indeed see more and more exercise of tribal hunting in WY. As it relates to this thread, the pie is only so big, and there is an entire community that has a right to take from that pie which has not really been discussed in any of this 90/10 talk.

A lot of sheep areas are not easy for folks to access. Also, its not as though Tribes are limited to state seasons...but I don't have a good feel for how much S/M/G harvest occurs. My only point was it is absolutely 1000% true that many tribes have the right to hunt most all public land in wyoming without concern of any state regulation/quota or season for any species...deer, elk, sheep etc. I suspect given the direction of western hunting you will indeed see more and more exercise of tribal hunting in WY. As it relates to this thread, the pie is only so big, and there is an entire community that has a right to take from that pie which has not really been discussed in any of this 90/10 talk.
Run this by the G&F Director and see what he says.

Good on ya for showing commitment to the cause. I see a flurry of Wyo tags headed your way.
"Showing commitment to the cause. "a flurry of Wy. tags.
Did I miss something?
I thought the cause was to keep people like me from getting tags in Wy. Are you suggesting Wy. should cut non-residents out and still have their commitment??

Not trying to be argumentative...I'm not tracking what you are suggesting. The G&F Director believes he has jurisdiction of tribal treaty hunting? Or?
This isn't really what the thread is about, but until the unoccupied lands issue is resolved, the G&F is enforcing statute and regulation on everyone, according to the Director. I'm not naive to say natives aren't shooting things.

Run this by the G&F Director and see what he says.

This isn't really what the thread is about, but until the unoccupied lands issue is resolved, the G&F is enforcing statute and regulation on everyone, according to the Director. I'm not naive to say natives aren't shooting things.
I thought Herrera v. Wyoming established this already. A state can't overrule the Supreme Court, pretty high bar.

Speaking of which, I wonder if the tribes will sell me a permit to hunt on "their" land ?

You NR hunters need to stop indulging these characters. they're having a blast laughing at how they took your money for decades only to cut your allotment in half and screw you over. you agreed to pay more all the time to stay in the game but you were never told the goal post was going to get moved to the 200 yard line .

there's nothing you can do about except stop sending them money , unless you're at the top of the point pool maybe then grit your teeth and stay in. now that they've cut it in half don't think they're satisfied , they won't stop until they have it to next to nothing that's what the idiots in OR have done.

just tell them GFYS and walk away and let them have their circle jerk by themselves.

You NR hunters need to stop indulging these characters. they're having a blast laughing at how they took your money for decades only to cut your allotment in half and screw you over. you agreed to pay more all the time to stay in the game but you were never told the goal post was going to get moved to the 200 yard line .

there's nothing you can do about except stop sending them money , unless you're at the top of the point pool maybe then grit your teeth and stay in. now that they've cut it in half don't think they're satisfied , they won't stop until they have it to next to nothing that's what the idiots in OR have done.

just tell them GFYS and walk away and let them have their circle jerk by themselves.
There's some good advise, kind of like when you told NR that the outfitters were their only friend. Every outfitter on the TF voted for 90/10 and now they are trying to get a set-aside on DEA.

But everyone's got a right to their opinion and I'm sure many will jump ship. The ones that stay will get the tags.

There's some good advise, kind of like when you told NR that the outfitters were their only friend. Every outfitter on the TF voted for 90/10 and now they are trying to get a set-aside on DEA.

But everyone's got a right to their opinion and I'm sure many will jump ship. The ones that stay will get the tags.
The last outfitter I talked to about moose and sheep said a bunch of outfitters fought this to the end as non-resident moose and sheep were a big part of their income and all of it was from non-residents. It is really outfitter dependent.

The last outfitter I talked to about moose and sheep said a bunch of outfitters fought this to the end as non-resident moose and sheep were a big part of their income and all of it was from non-residents. It is really outfitter dependent.
My comment was specific to outfitters on the Task Force, but I will add WYOGA remained neutral. In reality, most sheep outfitters are guiding 50% resident hunters and with lifetime status I'm sure that number will rise. No one is going out of business over 90/10 that was recently passed.

My comment was specific to outfitters on the Task Force, but I will add WYOGA remained neutral. In reality, most sheep outfitters are guiding 50% resident hunters and with lifetime status I'm sure that number will rise. No one is going out of business over 90/10 that was recently passed.
Wow 50% are residents? Dang, I couldn’t imagine with the long seasons in WY going guided as a resident.

Call and actually talk to outfitters they take a ton of resident hunters.

If you aren't either tough as nails or own or know someone with good mountain stock, you're going with a guide as a resident for areas 1-5.

Those areas are no joke.

Lot of residents do you use outfitters. Most i know when they dont have success they book a outfitter as a back up plan. Also you got the older generation that need assistance of horses and getting up that nasty terrain. You have residents that live across the state and with a busy life not enough time to scout. You have the guys that realize they got into something more they can handle.

I know the biggest outfitter use here is mountain lion hunting and pack trips over the summer to take other family memebers from out of state to escape town.

Lot of residents do you use outfitters. Most i know when they dont have success they book a outfitter as a back up plan. Also you got the older generation that need assistance of horses and getting up that nasty terrain. You have residents that live across the state and with a busy life not enough time to scout. You have the guys that realize they got into something more they can handle.

I know the biggest outfitter use here is mountain lion hunting and pack trips over the summer to take other family memebers from out of state to escape town.
Makes sense……?

A "fat guy" that backpack hunts sheep...
Example A. Look at that belly and those fat cheeks.

088867C5-4319-4395-8F16-6D353287932D.jpeg

I guess if my fat ass can do it, anyone can!

Example A. Look at that belly and those fat cheeks.

View attachment 72572

I guess if my fat ass can do it, anyone can!

My theory is to get the fat gut off the horses. All the miles i rode last year those horses looked amazing. Sorry sweetwater county residents you cant touch my horses..

My 10 year old and i did 6 miles today. Only weight we loss today was the junk food in our packs

What hasn’t been mentioned is that Wyo res believe they have no fear of losing tags from their many friends on the task force with landowner/task force ties. Outfitters already know they will pick up virtually fewer tags with 90/10 or 90/5/5 than what are presently available with current tag quotas.

As I’ve been saying all along wyo res better watch their backs because set aside landowner/outfitter tags may be stripped from res similar to what happened in Colo! There was nothing Colo res could do.

Where are these landowner/outfitter set aside tags going to come from? Certainly not from the current nonres quotas because landowner tags are already taken off the top and many highly limited units actually have more landowner than nonres tags! There are a chunk of units that currently don’t even offer random nonres draw tags.

Where are these landowner/outfitter set aside tags going to come from? Certainly not from the current nonres quotas because landowner tags are already taken off the top and many highly limited units actually have more landowner than nonres tags! There are a chunk of units that currently don’t even offer random nonres draw tags.
A Task Force member made it perfectly clear in the last meeting that he wouldn't support any change that would take away "one resident license". He was seconded by another member.

The discussion about transferables or set-asides is not over, but no matter what you say or think, there won't be any resident tags on the chopping block to accommodate those ideas if they are recommended. Outfitted NR hunters bring the most revenue to the state of Wyoming, and that should give you an idea who will be affected the most; DIY.

So where are outfitter set asides going to come from? No one seems to have a clue where these tags will mysteriously appear from? Everyone knows that many limited units don’t even offer 1 nonres tag with current quotas. It’s tough to cut 1/2 of 1 or 0 tags!

What I find pretty funny is that buzz, jm, and other Wyo res were making a point in their posts above that many Wyo res hire outfitters. My guess is that a bunch of Wyo res that go guided would be thrilled to have their own pool of tags with better draw odds to go guided? Makes a pile of sense to me… how about you?

Everyone would be happy with that scenario!

Not sure if many saw this, but at the last TF meeting Muley Fanatic Executive Director and sportsman rep Josh Coursey proposed changing the elk allocation from 84/16 to 80/20, effectively reducing LQ elk tags for residents by 4%. This was when two other sportsman reps, Pat Crank and Adam Teten said they would not stand for a cut of one resident license.

The idea that outfitters set-asides will come from resident allocations could only come from our MM Colorado resident and cheatgrass expert jims. If there are no NR tags available for a particular area due to LO tags, then my guess is no outfitter set-asides in that area. Problem solved.

Is there a forum that I as an NR can ***** about what I think spored limits should be? Restaurant licensing? Building codes?

The sense of entitlement people have to a resource they have no claim to, is pretty astounding.

Landowner set aside or Wyo res quotas are the only place to find enough additional outfitter tags to warrant change. Watch your backs Wyo res. The sooner this stupid 90/10 and 90/5/5 deal ends the better off it will be for everyone!

If elk, deer, and antelope populations increase everyone is happy…more animals mean more tags! More time and $ should be put to use in the actual field conducting projects that increase wildlife habitat, predator control, roadside fencing projects, etc than fighting over a few piddly additional tags! Yep, controlling cheatgrass does a great job of improving wildlife habitat!

Well boys we made it to over 1000 posts. A quick summary for those new to the thread.

Wyoming decided to get allocation for the big 5 closer to other states by 90/10

A guy from CO cried and tried to represent the NR hunt…poorly

A working group/task force was created and many meeting were held

A guy from CO posted misinformation, charts with incorrect data etc all trying to prove his points.

Task force held meeting all over the state regarding 90/10 etc

Guy from CO kept grasping at straws to prove how bad 90/10 would be. Shows more incorrect “data”

Many questions for task force and the obvious was made apparent. 90/10 is what the people wanted

Guy from CO posts questions demanding answers but never answers questions directed towards him

90/10 passes.

Guy from CO cries into his pillow before he bites it. Wakes up the next morning with regret but still posts misinformation, and dodges questions.

Guy Eastman decides to get drunk and post. He doesn’t like the comparison to Biden and reaches out to said commentary.

Guy from CO rides off into the cheatgrass sunset to never be heard from again.

Ok I made that last line up.
Funny

Landowner set aside or Wyo res quotas are the only place to find enough additional outfitter tags to warrant change. Watch your backs Wyo res. The sooner this stupid 90/10 and 90/5/5 deal ends the better off it will be for everyone!

If elk, deer, and antelope populations increase everyone is happy…more animals mean more tags! More time and $ should be put to use in the actual field conducting projects that increase wildlife habitat, predator control, roadside fencing projects, etc than fighting over a few piddly additional tags! Yep, controlling cheatgrass does a great job of improving wildlife habitat!
You have no problems fighting over a few piddly tags...hypocrit.

There will be some back room deals as there is an anything now a days. I think the deal was already struck when the outfitters gave up the 90/10 for the big 3. The task force is just a charade for the outcomes of the folks hiding behind the curtain. This is not
over yet.

Rich
Big 5.

I agree. I am really hoping to get my sheep tag and not enjoying the stress and expense until I do. My dream for 25 years has been to take a RMBS DIY and this is likely my last chance. With 22 points today it is likely I will draw but guys with more points will jump around trying to draw before they change the system to bonus points (which they will do). I could easily guess wrong for 5 years.

Frustrating because as you said there is pretty much nothing to do but bail. G&F do not care they are making so much money.

I agree. I am really hoping to get my sheep tag and not enjoying the stress and expense until I do. My dream for 25 years has been to take a RMBS DIY and this is likely my last chance. With 22 points today it is likely I will draw but guys with more points will jump around trying to draw before they change the system to bonus points (which they will do). I could easily guess wrong for 5 years.

Frustrating because as you said there is pretty much nothing to do but bail. G&F do not care they are making so much money.
I’m in the same boat. I don’t think I’ll guess right.

Looks like there will be 39 preference point licenses issued to NR this year (45 total). That number will drop to 18 licenses (at most) beginning in 2023. There are 106 NRs holding 23+ points and another 282 NR holding 22 points. Unless most of the 23'ers have dozed off, only a fraction of the 22 point guys will draw a license by preference this year. If they make the change to a bonus system right away, which they'll probably need to do to retain their millions of dollars in points revenue, you guys may be SOL.

Looks like there will be 39 preference point licenses issued to NR this year (45 total). That number will drop to 18 licenses (at most) beginning in 2023. There are 106 NRs holding 23+ points and another 282 NR holding 22 points. Unless most of the 23'ers have dozed off, only a fraction of the 22 point guys will draw a license by preference this year. If they make the change to a bonus system right away, which they'll probably need to do to retain their millions of dollars in points revenue, you guys may be SOL.
Shouldn't we be offered a refund? I feel like we should after waiting 20+ years, but that's just one persons opinion.

Strict 90/10 for WY premium tags is fair and WY residents deserve it. Everyone involved in that process knew of those recent $75/100/$150 point price increases and probably viewed how that played out as unfortunate. But WY deserved the 90/10 result and moved forward anyway.

Use the 2021 WY push for 90/10 (or worse with wilderness rule implications) as a model to being active in your own state and protecting resident hunting interests.

These interstate commerce battles are as old as the US Constitution. Your state will only help you "get even" for the thousands you pumped in to de-valued WY point fees if you pressure your state to reciprocate.

"Divide and Conquer" comments below from anyone residing east of Colorado.

CO - you deserve your NR cap to be retained during your leftover process on <5pt tags. History shows plenty of RES demand on QUEUE-IT each year, and those tags do not need to flow to NRs to get hunted.
AZ - you deserve 90/10 on your leftovers and to retain resident OTC non-permit archery deer tags rather than your resident opportunities being scrapped when NRs/influencers flooded that process.
NV - you deserve 90/10 on NV FCFS (alternate/return tag processes)
NM - you deserve 100/0 on sheep if you want to get ahead for a few years.
Georgia - you deserve to increase NR admission prices to state parks.

Call it fairness/equity or "getting even" - whatever you like based on your skin thickness.

Shouldn't we be offered a refund? I feel like we should after waiting 20+ years, but that's just one persons opinion.
Maybe, but that will probably never happen because they're going to make sure points "still have value". Meaning they'll switch to a bonus point system. I wonder how many guys would give up their chances for a sheep license with 20 points (or 20x20=400) if offered a refund? Very few would, I'm guessing.

You guys could always frame a print out of your points and hang it where you would of hung the mount. It would be a great conversation starter when people see it. “I paid 2,000 for that piece of paper and then I stopped paying”

Zero chance you'll get a refund for something you still have and will continue to do what they were designed to do.
That is false, the game changed significantly and it is definitely not designed to do what we paid for, especially if they change to bonus. I went from drawing in my 50s to if I am lucky and they don't change to bonus points to my 70s. If they change to bonus points then I likely never draw. So I did not get what I paid for. I know we have discussed this, but I feel that this is what is fair and equitable. If you want the tags, fine, then pay back the points money. Can you name other similar situations that have occurred in any walk of life? I am sure they are out there, just can't think of them off the top of my head as I wasn't part of them. Since money is no issue to the G&F in Wyoming, a few million shouldn't really matter, right?

That is false, the game changed significantly and it is definitely not designed to do what we paid for, especially if they change to bonus. I went from drawing in my 50s to if I am lucky and they don't change to bonus points to my 70s. If they change to bonus points then I likely never draw. So I did not get what I paid for. I know we have discussed this, but I feel that this is what is fair and equitable. If you want the tags, fine, then pay back the points money. Can you name other similar situations that have occurred in any walk of life? I am sure they are out there, just can't think of them off the top of my head as I wasn't part of them. Since money is no issue to the G&F in Wyoming, a few million shouldn't really matter, right?
I can name a bunch.

There were thousands of people in Montana that bought points and they scrapped the entire point program.

I applied in CO for RFW tags as a NR and then they stopped allowing me to apply at all for those.

I applied and gained points in Montana and they changed it to squared points.

I applied for and received a point in AZ for hunters ed and had to drive down there to do it in person. Now its all online.

What should I do, ask for my hotel room and gas money back since they changed the rules?

Speaking of AZ their preference system excluded me from even drawing a vast majority of the best tags there for years. Corrected now, but how many were drawing dead...thousands a year.

Quit crying, things change and that's been a given forever...move on to something that matters.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom