Afraid of getting shot?

SanPitch

I think this was my favorite thing I seen all rifle season. Must have a had a bad experience before, anybody on here ever had any close calls?
C47C0BFF-6450-4C41-B3AE-CECEA43861BD.jpeg

I was shot once maybe 20 or so years ago. I was on the east side of Sawtooth Mtn., sitting near the top of a blaze with a wooded gullies on either side. About 3/4 to the top of the blaze there is a lone stunted pine tree where on the downhill side of the tree it is hollowed out where a man can sit hidden and out of the wind. There are two large game trails to watch from that position. I was in my spot one morning waiting for elk to move across the sage covered blaze, when there was the very loud report of a rifle behind me. Instantaneously I felt the energy of the bullet wiz by my head. I immediately moved and started screaming at the fool who was shooting at me. I never saw or heard him again. One of my buddies was sure he saw him high tailing it out of there as fast as he could go. It shook me pretty good. I think I was moving my legs back and forth while lying back against pack. The guy must have movement under the tree and fired. There was a local landowner, now deceased, that liked to fire his rifle to”shake things up”, his words.

I was out fall turkey hunting in 12. I found a group of about 6 turkeys near a small open quarry type area. I get into a ambush position, sure enough the group comes my way. I see the lead turkey and take her out, keep in mind it's a any turkey season. I walk the 20yds to retrieve by bounty. The other turkeys are scattering around but still in the area. As get up to my turkey I hear a SXS coming I noticed that the other turkeys are crossing the FS road, the SXS stops I knew they see the turkeys so I think I better get down low just in case. As soon as I get down behind a small berm I hear 3 shots. After each shot I hear the pellets go flying over my head. I laid low for a few more moments to make sure they are done shooting. I carefully rise from my position and see one of the hunters on the SXS looking in my direction. He was so surprised and immediately started saying he was sorry and that he let loose three shoots directly where I took cover. He was pretty shaken up about it. I explained to him that he didn't know I was there, and that I had a feeling that is what was gonna happen. I'm not sure if he got a turkey at that moment as I would have seen it.
Last time I experienced that sound of projectiles flying by overhead was in Afghanistan and Iraq.

A friend was elk hunting and on his horse when shot by another hunter. Thru saddle, his wallet, ass, blew his left nut off and stopped in the saddle horn.

Another friend was holstering his old Super Blackhawk 44 and dropped the hammer shooting himself in the leg below the right knee and took out almost 4" of bone.

Another friend was chasing coyotes on his snowmobile. Had an old 357 Contender with shot shell. Putting back into shoulder holster and dropped hammer. Blew all that Dacron fill from his coveralls into wound on his left side and hip!

I was shot once maybe 20 or so years ago. I was on the east side of Sawtooth Mtn., sitting near the top of a blaze with a wooded gullies on either side. About 3/4 to the top of the blaze there is a lone stunted pine tree where on the downhill side of the tree it is hollowed out where a man can sit hidden and out of the wind. There are two large game trails to watch from that position. I was in my spot one morning waiting for elk to move across the sage covered blaze, when there was the very loud report of a rifle behind me. Instantaneously I felt the energy of the bullet wiz by my head. I immediately moved and started screaming at the fool who was shooting at me. I never saw or heard him again. One of my buddies was sure he saw him high tailing it out of there as fast as he could go. It shook me pretty good. I think I was moving my legs back and forth while lying back against pack. The guy must have movement under the tree and fired. There was a local landowner, now deceased, that liked to fire his rifle to”shake things up”, his words.
sounds more like you were shot at....not shot

About 15 years ago I was after a really nice non typical buck , droptines and all ! I blew my first stalk on him in the open so he ran into a 7 acre patch of planted pines , a perfect square that paralleled the road. It was snowing and blowing hard so I went in after him , checking each row. I found him about 2 rows from the road , got down on one knee and cocked my muzzle loader. All of a sudden a pickup comes down the road , slams on the brakes and open fires out the window with a pump slug gun. I’ll tell you there’s nothing like the sound of a rifled foster slug wizzing by you , let alone 3 of them ! This was a buck of a lifetime , I’ve never seen anything like him since. By the time I got up and ran out , all I saw was taillights and a cloud of snow dust ! I’ll never forget it !!!!!

10 years ago west of Casper I was hunting antelope in a 3 sided bowl valley and a few guys were firing into the valley from a Chevy Blazer. Heard the bullets snap the air before they hit the ground. Very close.

A friend of mine volunteered to help with a local Junior Pheasant hunt. One of the kids shot and killed his dog on the flush. It can happen.

Once, while fishing an old rock quarry near a large river I started getting incoming rounds from a distance. They were hitting all around me. Took cover behind a large tree.
Took me a minute to figure out what was happening.
Apparently somebody was squirrel hunting over on the river with a .22 and unknowingly were dropping them rounds right in on me.
And they must have missed,,,,a lot.

I've been peppered with shot while dove hunting. It wasn't hard enough to penetrate, but it did sting. Fortunately, the pellets hit me from behind or I might have had an eye taken out.

One time in 1970s on the North Kaibab, I was walking down in the bottom of a canyon off the Eastside Game Trail when I heard a shot. Then another, and another, and another. They weren't real close to me, but close enough where I could hear the bullets hitting stuff in different areas.

About 15 mins. later, I got up on a ridge & ran into a young kid about 17-18 years old with a M94. I asked him if he was the shooter, which he affirmed. When I asked what he was shooting at, he said he was just trying flush something out.

Last edited:
A knucklehead neighborhood kid shot into our decoy spread once while duck hunting.

He snuck up on what he thought was a flock of sitting ducks (?) and shot without trying to flush them first. Shot pattern was in our direction and peppered the brush all around where we were sitting in our blind.

A knucklehead neighborhood kid shot into our decoy spread once while duck hunting.

He snuck up on what he thought was a flock of sitting ducks (?) and shot without trying to flush them first. Shot pattern was in our direction and peppered the brush all around where we were sitting in our blind.

My oldest and I were sitting in a dry ditch next to a pond. Had our decoys floating.

Heard the buzzing before the shot.

Dumbass teenager shot right over us to "kill" a decoy.

Kid might of chit himself when I sat up yelling at him.

I sat through a hunters ed class with my kids this morning and there was a specific video that talks about ground pounding ducks. Appears as though some of these kids missed that one. Almost makes me wish kids had to do a refresher course before they get their first adult hunting license. Even an online ethics course with a few videos.

We've got an Elderly Local That Thought He was Smarter Than Any other Hunter/Warden!

He was Well Known For Ground-Poundin Shhit!

Several Years Ago We Devised a Plan!

Took another Year or So For Plan To Fall in Place!

My Friend Had This Old Beat Up Rooster Mount!

We Were Hunting Pheasants And We Pass The Ole Ground-Poundin Road Hunter Puttin Down The Road!

We Haul Ass down the Road About A Mile & I Bale Out With The Mount & Set It In a Small Clearing Not Far Off The Road!

I Sent My Friend Down The Road in His Truck & I Hid On the Opposite Side of The Road!

He Come Puttin Down The Road!

See's The Rooster!

And Locks The Brakes Up!

What He Doesn't Know Is I'm Right Next To His Truck on The Passenger Side When He Shoots The Rooster Right Out The Truck Window!

KABOOM!

I Yell:

Did You Get Him?

I'm Telling You When That Gun Came Back In To His Truck it Got Some New Gouges!:D

Then He Looks Over & I Ask Him:

A Little Ground-Pounding Going on Huh?

His Face Now Is Bright Red!

And Then He Tells Me:

I Give Them One Chance On The Ground & two in The Air!

Then I Tell Him:

Better Go Retrieve Your Bird!

He Had No Choice!

I Watch Him Walk Out There To Get The Bird and All HELL Broke Loose!

You Little SAWED-OFF SOB!:D

Wish I Had That One on Video!:D

We've got an Elderly Local That Thought He was Smarter Than Any other Hunter/Warden!

He was Well Known For Ground-Poundin Shhit!

Several Years Ago We Devised a Plan!

Took another Year or So For Plan To Fall in Place!

My Friend Had This Old Beat Up Rooster Mount!

We Were Hunting Pheasants And We Pass The Ole Ground-Poundin Road Hunter Puttin Down The Road!

We Haul Ass down the Road About A Mile & I Bale Out With The Mount & Set It In a Small Clearing Not Far Off The Road!

I Sent My Friend Down The Road in His Truck & I Hid On the Opposite Side of The Road!

He Come Puttin Down The Road!

See's The Rooster!

And Locks The Brakes Up!

What He Doesn't Know Is I'm Right Next To His Truck on The Passenger Side When He Shoots The Rooster Right Out The Truck Window!

KABOOM!

I Yell:

Did You Get Him?

I'm Telling You When That Gun Came Back In To His Truck it Got Some New Gouges!:D

Then He Looks Over & I Ask Him:

A Little Ground-Pounding Going on Huh?

His Face Now Is Bright Red!

And Then He Tells Me:

I Give Them One Chance On The Ground & two in The Air!

Then I Tell Him:

Better Go Retrieve Your Bird!

He Had No Choice!

I Watch Him Walk Out There To Get The Bird and All HELL Broke Loose!

You Little SAWED-OFF SOB!:D

Wish I Had That One on Video!:D

Elkass, that would be funny if you guys put 22 pounds of tannerite in the bird.

so....the old duffer shoots a dusty mount, walks out to get it before he realizes???....strange

Hey Homer!

This Ole Boy Was A Little Strange!

The Amount of Dust That Blew Up I Can Guarantee You He Didn't See Much initially!

And Don't For a Second Think He Didn't Have a Beer or Two In Him!:D

so....the old duffer shoots a dusty mount, walks out to get it before he realizes???....strange

I answered earlier about friends who got shot, in order to see where the thread was going. Yes, I have, and can tell you it is not something you want to do more than once! I wasn't always the prince I am now, and gang stuff is a stupid way to live (or die). Even small calibers hurt like hell.

You Were A GANGSTA Once Blank?:D

I answered earlier about friends who got shot, in order to see where the thread was going. Yes, I have, and can tell you it is not something you want to do more than once! I wasn't always the prince I am now, and gang stuff is a stupid way to live (or die). Even small calibers hurt like hell.

That pumpkin army looks like Pa rifle season. That was the normal attire for hunting rifle season in Pa with one million hunters. It was like a mass migration upstate after Thanksgiving, turnpike would be packed with trucks driving north. Every year someone would get shot. I only did that twice, glad I have great bow hunting hunting in suburbia. Near Phila.

As far as near shootings. Before having private properties to hunt I use to drive up into Bucks Co the the only public property to hunt. I learned that the deer would cross the road from private, walk along prop line to the end of the long narrow parking lot and cross a creek and up the hill to bed in pretty rocky wooded terrain. I literally hunted 20yds off the back left corner of the parking lot, the path out of the lot was on the back right side of lot. This was in the 1980s , no one ever hunts there so I usually have it to myself. I would always put a stand up near that corner. One day a jeep pulls into the lot and 3 guys get out, they grab they’re shot guns and head to trail head on opposite side of lot, I watch them and as they leave the lot ,the 3rd guy loads shells, pumps the action and squeezes that trigger from about 40 yds from me with the muzzle pointing towards me in the stand. The shot flys by me , everywhere around me, I yell “hey”. They hear me, look, talk to each other and run like hell to they’re jeep and take off. I could not get out of the stand fast enough. To this day I believe they think they shot me. Them MFers left me there thinking they shot me.

Blank were you the cook for the bloods? I suppose gangs gotta eat too…

She knows that I'm a prince - now! :)

As for growing up, a lot of those inner city gangster movies hit pretty close to home.

Only been intentionally shot at once during a general season rifle deer hunt in Utah. It was about 36 years ago. I couldn’t of been more than 8 years old. Dad just got done watching to jackasses across the canyon take his buck he shot, clean it and drag it out. There was no way for him to charge over to that side of the cliffy canyon we were in to confront the hunters with his two little kids in tow. So we cut our losses, walked over the ridge to sit down and eat an early lunch/snack. We had only been sitting down a couple minutes when the dust kicks up about two feet from my older brother and then the report of a rifle is heard. Before I lnew what was happening, dad had a kid under each arm dragging us to a safe place. Dad suspects that we had sat down on a hillside that another hunter was watching that morning and ruined their morning hunt so they shot at us to let us know that they weren’t happy with our decision.

I’ve been caught in cross fires when bucks have ran in between groups of hunters and had bullets wizzing over my head…but that’s always a potential when on a hunt in the land of Utardia.

#1 - My brother shot a cleaning rod out of his .22 and the rod missed me by inches.
#2- Dad was retrieving brother's .308 fdom.pickup discharging and firing through drivers side behind door missing my midsection by 2 or 3 inches.
# 3- Disgruntled rancher who put up illegal gate shot at us and missed by several feet. My boss returned fire as he was retreating in his vehicle. I was 17.
# 4 -While target practicing a bullet whizzed over myself and a friend. We never saw the shooter and we left immediately.
# 5- I was traveling to Ritzville to pick my kids up for visitation and a bullet whizzed through my Catalytic converter.
Is that enough ? Maybe the fact I'm still alive is better than if I won a lottery and died .
# 5 Led to suspicion my crazy Ex had something to do with it..?

Besides the gunfight in camp which is a drinking story, my best one is someone I worked with and involves a company truck.

DOW puts up checkpoints sometimes on the busier forest service roads during the rifle seasons (and spring turkey).

One of our dudes was driving off the mountain and stumbled onto one. Just as he pulled up, he remembered his gun was loaded :rolleyes:, so he reached over to open the bolt and blew a hole through the floorboard and transmission.

We had to send a lowboy up to get his truck off the hill, and a crew to clean up the mess. He never lived it down. I’m sure he won the DOW dumbazz pool also.

Last edited:
I was staying in a cabin with a group of hunters from Alabama on a guided hunt in New Mexico. One night one of the "guides" came in with a pistol in one hand and a bottle of tequila in the other. He was waving the pistol around and I was headed to the door when one of the guys from Alabama grabbed his arm and twisted the gun away from him. He said "You better give me that gun before somebody takes it away from you and shoots you with it." Much respect for guys from Alabama.

I almost forgot a very near miss, circa early 1970s. I was managing a sporting goods dept. for JC Penney at the time, and a guy who worked in the hardware dept asked me to go along on a javelina hunt with him & one of his buddies.

So...we're riding up a sandy wash in his vintage Intl. Scout. I'm riding shotgun & his friend is in the backseat. We come upon a herd of javelina on a hillside. In his zeal to bail out quickly, 'friend' accidentally fires his .270 when he reaches in to grab it. Fortunately, the muzzle was pointed up & not at the back of my seat or at my head. The bullet made a nice round hole in the roof.

It was a week before my hearing got back to normal.

Afraid of getting shot? Not really. At my age I'm more afraid of putting myself in situations where that may be a likelihood. I had a friend get shot in the neck during elk season in the early 70s. Ever since then I am really careful about being orange.

When I was younger something hit me coming up through the floor of the Huey I was in. It didn't come out until years later when it started hurting pretty good. I have the remnant in a pizzz cup the doc gave me and it does not look like a bullet.

Afraid of getting shot? Not really. At my age I'm more afraid of putting myself in situations where that may be a likelihood. I had a friend get shot in the neck during elk season in the early 70s. Ever since then I am really careful about being orange.

When I was younger something hit me coming up through the floor of the Huey I was in. It didn't come out until years later when it started hurting pretty good. I have the remnant in a pizzz cup the doc gave me and it does not look like a bullet.
Thanks for your service ! Hope this year is good for you. Veterans made this country.

that jumpsuit should be mandatory in OTC elk units in CO 3rd season. last year i heard gunshots in a migration corridor and everyone in the area runs or drives over there. herd of about 25 elk crest the ridge as i am crossing barbed wire fence about halfway between road and hilltop. there is one guy between me and herd, i am between another guy and the herd. another guy jumps out of his truck and leans over hood and takes a shot. i backed out and split .
Found them a few hours later looking very ragged. blood trails everywhere in the damn woods. I got one but wondered if i should be wading into that mess

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom