Are the elk talking yet?

Heard from my brother that a rancher told him he heard a couple bugles just a day or so ago. ;-)

I have had the tag recently. Hold your ground and do not shoot the first 310-320 bull that gives a 20 yard slam dunk. It’s two weeks.
Here in NM close to AZ first bugles in last six days were yesterday am but was quiet last night. It’s close.

I have had the tag recently. Hold your ground and do not shoot the first 310-320 bull that gives a 20 yard slam dunk. It’s two weeks.
Here in NM close to AZ first bugles in last six days were yesterday am but was quiet last night. It’s close.
It’s going to go full swing the night of the 14th. So I can chase them on the 15th

Thanks for the input. I'm glad to hear they are starting. Seems like clockwork that they start going pretty good around the 10th. Yes he was very blessed to draw that tag. He is wanting to hold out for something 350 or better.

It was very quiet in unit 27 (AZ) over the last few days, as in I didn't hear one bugle. Saw one small bull chasing 2 cows but the rest of the bulls I saw were still in bachelor groups.
Jeff

Bulls were bugling in central utah last weekend. Called in a 5 point. I know I had 4-5 sounding off but other hunters in the same general area didn't hear very many. I think a lot of smaller bulls are piping off with the occasional bigger bull rounding up cows. I think this weekend will be even better.

Sweet , about the same as here then.

My season starts the 20th so it should be pretty active in that case.

The "peak" of the rut happens 5-10 days on either side of the fall equinox. This year September 23rd I believe.

Not that some won't be active at other times.

If I were hunting in South Central Utah, with as many hunters as there are, I would be out where the elk frequent, 2 full hours before daylight. It that time of night it’s generally very quiet. You can hear sound a long long way off, elk can hear better than you. ? I would go to a location that I suspected elk will be, and I would give a very very soft cow call or a very very soft/short bugle and wait for ten or 15 minutes, listening intently. (Sometimes I just whistle very softly with my lips/mouth.) I will try twice, 10-15 minutes apparent. If I get no response, I move to a new location. It’s amazing how far away an elk can hear and respond to a soft whistle or cow call that time of night. I’ve also found as soon as one elk responds, others while answer them. Once one goes off , other will start too. A real elk mewing or bugling is way better than anything you can do. I never make another sound after the first elk responds. I’m not attempting to call an elk to me, I’m just trying to locate elk and decide how I’m going to go them.

Of course, if they are already vocal (which the sometimes are) I never make a sound. I already know all I need to know.

The elk have been fairly vocal and active in northern Utah for the last few days. I’m headed south for an archery elk hunt in unit 6A in AZ from 9/21-9/28. What do you AZ boys think I can expect as far as rutting activity?

Hawkeye

You should have a good hunt Hawkeye. With the dates being pushed back my expectations are high for good rut activity. I haven't personally hunted that unit but I know friends that do. Lots of hunters but you have a big area and large numbers of elk. I would personally head lower to capitalize on glassing opportunities. Good luck!

Where I hunt in Idaho the bulls are already with cows, Opening weekend had a couple come in silent one herd bull the second day was scent checking a hot cow had 4 other rag horn bulls around him. Last year Zero rut activity in this same area until the last weekend of the season . About every 10 years in my area they are fired up rutting opening weekend !!

Fish Lake. not the unit I've been trying for but with the new elk plan it seemed like time to cash in my points.
That’s what I’d do if I had points. Things are going to change significantly but………. I think you may already be a year late.

This is Phase 2 of age class reduction effort in Utah. I’m to lazy to look up the data but Phase 1 took place about 20 years ago, in an effort to appease the opportunity hunters, but predictably, that wasn’t good enough, so they are taking another run at it with Phase 2. Until there’s nothing left but yearlings and two year old bulls, these age class reduction efforts will continue.

Nothing new here. We’ve seen this management style for 40 years with mule deer.

Once again, private property will be the only option in another few years.

I would agree. but that goes for most every state.

I took a 382 bull out of Panguitch years ago so whatever I get this time is good enough. Utah has been good to me I'm not complaining.

Yep, I understand. I’m the one complaining.

I would rather others could have your Panguitch experience and take home a 382 type elk too. I’ve hunted Utah elk before 382 bulls were available, I’ve hunted it when they then were available and I hunted now that they’re much less available….. again. Having had it both with and without, I prefer it with.

For me, it was more than just killing a bull. The years when the mule deer and the elk were large and held the best the species could produce, in both maturity and quantity, were more gratifying and more satisfying. I spent way more time observing them 365, than I do now, when they are other than their best selves.

They were talking tonight about 5 minutes after the sun went down. I had a really nice 6x6 bull chatting me up along with his 15+ cows/calves. They were dead silent until the sun went down.

My dad has that same tag as OP. We didn’t hear anything last weekend when we were out. I think it’s just getting started. But we’re excited, it’s been a LONG wait.

Whatever you do make sure you burn up all your vacation, gas money, food and energy the first two weeks of September because you heard one bugle at dark on the 4th.

I actually love to see this, woods are a lot more empty when it’s actually good and I’m out there

My brother did some scouting today and heard some bulls bugling in the dark. Seems like they are talking pretty good at night from what we have heard from a few sources as well.

They are starting to sing up at the Berry on the Snatch.
Had 4 bulls going this morning in one draw, saw three of them and the biggest was completely broken off behind his right 3rd.
I'd like to see the dude that did it!
Headed back up on Friday for 10 days, 5 scouting and five hunting if needed.
Should be fun!

They were pretty active where I've been up there.
My buddy killed a really big 5x6 old bull this morning and we saw about 10 bulls in all.
Early rifle next week should be fun!
That is good to hear. My daughter has the LE mid-season rifle elk hunt on the Wasatch unit this year. I can’t wait to be on the mountain with her. Heading up on Friday for some scouting and I’m hoping she gets her first experience hearing some bugling bulls. Good luck on your hunt.

That is good to hear. My daughter has the LE mid-season rifle elk hunt on the Wasatch unit this year. I can’t wait to be on the mountain with her. Heading up on Friday for some scouting and I’m hoping she gets her first experience hearing some bugling bulls. Good luck on your hunt.
I to have the mid season tag, we should coordinate and I'll try to help your daughter.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom