ATV or UTV for hunting

ATV or UTV for hunting

• ATV

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • UTV

Votes: 34 65.4%

• Total voters

tallelkchaser

Curious to what everyone’s preferences are. I feel like atvs are easier to deal with, can be loaded in a truck and moved easily but UTVs provide a more comfortable ride. They do require a bit more maintenance and come at a higher price point.

I've been an ATV guy since 1995 but, like others have said, I'd never turn down a ride in a UTV.
We generally haul 2 ATV's on a rack in the truck (so we can hunt in different directions) and pull a camp trailer so the UTV thing wouldn't work quite a well for us.
Choices are great and a guy should get what he thinks best for his style.
I do want a UTV to cruise around with family but the ATV's will go hunting.

Zeke

We also use this bed rack option. It's nice when hunting away from camp. Like I said options are good !
bedrack.jpg

I have ATV’s and my wife insisted on recently getting a sideXside. Each one has their place but for me, I like my ATV’s better for hunting. I feel like they are more maneuverable, stable and I can get them places I can’t get a sideXside. So ATV’s are my preference.

I can take 2 and a buddy can use one or bring his. I don't want to hunt in the same spot.
ATV can go more places than an atv. My Kawasaki V-Twin 650 will go anywhere you have the nerve to go, You just have to believe. The above the bed rack works good so I can haul 22' trailer. I have this Ultralight trailer that pulls good and I we have great times. Driving a UTV is like driving a car, but it is a personal choice. In the cold the UTV is warm. I beat the cold with goggles, an Alaskan Parka with the best fill made for the Alaskan Pipeline workers in 1973. Just remove it when I get parked. Gkives with hard warmers and heated socks. In other words I just don't want a UTV..
20210617_133909.jpg
20210918_211536.jpg

opinions shared so far have aligned with my own thoughts as well. Wheelers can get lots of places, I would argue could require less maintenance, and you don’t have to have a trailer to move it around if you have a truck. UTVs do provide some added comfort though and can accommodate more riders. Those truck bed racks are handy, backing a wheeler off one of those for the first time was fun! Not bad, just coming from a bit higher and a steeper slope.

I have a rack like that for sale...I bought a UTV :)
I like being able to split up with ATVs like has been mentioned, but you can't ride an ATV in a snow storm like you can in a UTV, and man a heater is really nice.
Can't ride an ATV in a snow storm?
I must have missed that memo Mr. LBH. ;)

Can you imagine the miles and the storms I've gone through in 28 years atop an ATV? They've never let me down or left me stranded! knock on wood.

Hey, LBH, can I borrow your UTV?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Zeke

What’s crazy is that a used jeep is likely cheaper than many used UTVs. Would likely use it more throughout the year too!
I agree but...
Hard to get a camp trailer, truck and jeep all at camp at the same time. I owned a jeep for awhile (old one) and that thing was a beast. Too bad that logistics prevented it from ever going hunting.

Whatever works for someone. So glad we have choices!!!!

Zeke

IMG_8734.jpeg

UTV’s are pretty easy to make street legal and do pretty good in the snow. Little big horn knows how to be comfortable! Like I said options are nice ! You can drive it to the grocery store like a second vehicle.

Can't ride an ATV in a snow storm?
I must have missed that memo Mr. LBH. ;)

Can you imagine the miles and the storms I've gone through in 28 years atop an ATV? They've never let me down or left me stranded! knock on wood.

Hey, LBH, can I borrow your UTV?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Zeke
Well Zeke,
I once rode my ATV off the top of the Avinaquin all the way to Soldier Summit in a driving snow storm and vowed I would never do it again. My fingers still freeze up when I think about it. And yes you can borrow my UTV if you let me borrow your wifes new camp trailer...and your cabin...and a few of your Spiffy rifles! ?

Last edited:
I bought a 2023 Honda Rincon last year to hunt with. It seems like it will be fine for what I do. I had a few thoughts when I bought it to make me feel better about the cost. I thought it would fit in the truck and be available at any time if the need to use it shows up. I didn’t want to trailer anything in the tuleys because I’m on a lot of two-tracks. Another idea was to use it in town for short trips to get a snack. That was a bad idea because they don’t do well on the pavement even if I did get the street legal items. I wanted fully independent suspension and automatic or semi automatic along with 4 wheel drive. It’s a lot of fun and has a lot of power but the smart thing would have been to get a used jeep. I had one growing up and jeeps are more practical than any UTV or quad. The problem I have with the Side by Sides is the cost and noise. Some are driven by belts and that seems a little wrong. Jeeps can be inexpensive and more powerful than either and turn real tight. They just seem like a more useful tool or second vehicle.

I loved my ATV for hunting. The problem was if I wanted to take my wife to see the leaf’s or whatever she didn’t enjoy sitting behind me on it. It was hard for her to see, hear or talk. I did have a seat on the rack but she still complained. Decided to get a 50” razor. I can’t see as good when hunting from it because of the roof. But now my wife and a bunch of friends we go on rides all the time. The roof, windows and sound system makes the rides enjoyable. The drink holders are a A+ also. I would probably still prefer the ATV for hunting but don’t think I’ll ever go back. We use the S x S a lot more than I used the ATV.

I like my pioneer 500 side by side for its hauling ability but a good Honda 4 Trax 4x4 4 wheeler is damn hard to beat for hunting the west.

I have a Pioneer 500. I got it a couple years ago. So far I haven't used it for hunting much. I've been told they are kind of top heavy and can tip over. Have you had any issues with top heavy tipping?

20230616_154227.jpg

I have not had any tipping over issues in my Pioneer 500. I’ve had it 7 years. I like that I can go on 50” trails and the windshield and sides block the wind.

Atv, UTV all have a spot with my style of hunting. UTV with heat and AC is amazing. But the wind across my bald head on my atv is hard to beat as well.. i look at it as why limit yourself to one style. If my Tesla UTV comes to market then we will be talking.. haha

What Size Of Fire Extinguisher Are You Ordering For The TESLA UTV?

Atv, UTV all have a spot with my style of hunting. UTV with heat and AC is amazing. But the wind across my bald head on my atv is hard to beat as well.. i look at it as why limit yourself to one style. If my Tesla UTV comes to market then we will be talking.. haha

You can’t put them out.. just Bury them and walk away lol and and say I’m for the natural release of minerals back into the environment by fire lol

Utv here. Most the time the wife and younger kids are along for at least some of the hunt. Last year my 8 and 10 year old came for the last load of meat from my oldest sons cow elk, wife stayed back with the 1 year old. We were able to get the utv back to a very short pack out. After went for a nice ride on some other trails.

I knew this question would wake up the ole Bobcat bess himself. You didn't even mention the Ole bobcat "Tune up".

No!

I'm Not Buying an UTV!

But I Was At The POLARIS Shop Today & They Had A Few UTV's Sitting Out For All You To Buy!

27K to 46.9K!

That 46.9K Machines Gonna Be 50K Out The Door!

Everybody But Me's Gotta Have One Though!

That's So They Don't Scratch Their 125K Truck!

HOW MUCH IS THAT PISSCUTTER WORTH?

SxS works for me - so much more comfortable, much quicker, less wear/tear on truck, can haul a pretty decent camp setup then haul out camp n bagged game. Can haul 4 bird dogs, 2 hunters, camping gear, get deep into and stay in remote chuk country for few days. Drive truck/trailer to end of pavement, quick unload, let'r rip to hunting spot.
1000002139.jpg

What Do Them Chukars Cost?:D

SxS works for me - so much more comfortable, much quicker, less wear/tear on truck, can haul a pretty decent camp setup then haul out camp n bagged game. Can haul 4 bird dogs, 2 hunters, camping gear, get deep into and stay in remote chuk country for few days. Drive truck/trailer to end of pavement, quick unload, let'r rip to hunting spot. View attachment 117834

1998 Arctic Cat 454. It's ugly, but it can climb pretty much anything. I've over used it the past few years as evidenced by my expanding waistline. This year will be different ;)

I knew this question would wake up the ole Bobcat bess himself. You didn't even mention the Ole bobcat "Tune up".
Good old bobcat Bess understands now that he needs a little assistance get around on the mountain in his old age. His four wheeler is now his best friend . You all didn't think he owned a four wheeler ?

I just bought a Ranger XP1000 Northstar to help out on my little disabled hunter program.
I’m too embarrassed to admit what I paid for it, I should be ashamed of myself.

I started with 3 wheelers and used 4 wheelers since they came out. but after wearing my Klim snowmobile gear too many times and still damn near freezing to death I bought a Ranger Trail Boss with A/C and heat and I'll never go back. and I could only haul one dog on a ATV and I can take them all now chukar hunting.

I got a Marlon rack and I can still haul it in the pickup. it's no contest, the cost is the only downside to the UTV. and that's still less than my horses.

Seen A Polaris UTV Yesterday!

46.9 + Taxes,License & All The Other BS!

Like I've Said Before!

HOW MUCH IS THAT PISSCUTTER WORTH?

I started with 3 wheelers and used 4 wheelers since they came out. but after wearing my Klim snowmobile gear too many times and still damn near freezing to death I bought a Ranger Trail Boss with A/C and heat and I'll never go back. and I could only haul one dog on a ATV and I can take them all now chukar hunting.

I got a Marlon rack and I can still haul it in the pickup. it's no contest, the cost is the only downside to the UTV. and that's still less than my horses.

We’ve got Carl Malone building a 17 acre Super Center In Bellevue Idaho. I’ve never seen anything so destructive to this earth than a UTV.

They (Not KM!) Just Built a New Big ATV/UTV Shop Here In This State As Well:

You Can Tell Where The Money Is:

We’ve got Carl Malone building a 17 acre Super Center In Bellevue Idaho. I’ve never seen anything so destructive to this earth than a UTV.

As destructive as bangin' 14 year old girls? Guys a douchebag...frickin' hillbilly. :)

Curious to what everyone’s preferences are. I feel like atvs are easier to deal with, can be loaded in a truck and moved easily but UTVs provide a more comfortable ride. They do require a bit more maintenance and come at a higher price point.
personally as I got older I like the enclosed cab and heater to be out of the elements and room for gear. Obviously when it is time to go after game it is time to walk either way

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom