Navajo tacos tonight..

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
I just finished frying the bread. Getting ready to do all the rest now. This is a first for me. Stayed tuned to see the results manana.

One of my favorites, we've made Navajo tacos a couple times in the last few weeks. Once with real fry bread mix & also just rolling out flat some doughboy grand biscuits in a can. The biscuits in a can work really well for the frybread & come out the perfect size. Looking forward to your creation

Navajo Tacos, hmmmm may have to change the name of those like the Washington Redskins had to change their name. Just kidding, it’s such a woke World now. Those tacos sound delicious.

One of my favorites, we've made Navajo tacos a couple times in the last few weeks. Once with real fry bread mix & also just rolling out flat some doughboy grand biscuits in a can. The biscuits in a can work really well for the frybread & come out the perfect size. Looking forward to your creation
Dump the biscuits dude ! Roll out Rhodes Rolls - 100 x better !

The proof is in the taco...Here's the result.

I made the dough from scratch, basically a bannock mixture of flour, baking powder, lard, salt, milk & water and fried it in lard. In addition to the two taco bases, I made several hunks of bannock for snacking with honey or jam on it.

My taco filling consisted of a base of refried beans & ground beef, which was cooked with garlic, onions & spices. Lettuce, tomatoes, black olives & cilantro went on top of that. I forgot the cheese. :rolleyes:

Verdict: While it turned out & tasted fine, I prefer traditional tacos in hard shells or soft tortillas more.

navajotaco.JPG

navajotaco2.JPG

With salsa added...

navajotaco3.JPG

Looks great. Around here, we (my bride) add cheese, guacamole, beans, sour cream, corn, tortilla strips, creamy tomatillo dressing, et al.

My kid's Mom who passed away many years ago made the fry bread using Bisquick. It was phenomenal and She was the best cook I have ever known. When She was making a meal there was no need to worry- I knew it would be delicious.

My kid's Mom who passed away many years ago made the fry bread using Bisquick. It was phenomenal and She was the best cook I have ever known. When She was making a meal there was no need to worry- I knew it would be delicious.
Bisquit is about the same as the mix I put together -- flour, baking powder, salt, sugar & lard. (y)

Graffiti dump, been closed for years. However Cameron trading post is quite the popular tourist trap

sorry.gif

That's the one I meant. I usually spend a few bucks for fried bread there whenever I pass by. And once, I bought a pair of Minnetonka elk skin moccasins there because they were $15 cheaper than I normally pay online.

I can’t get the fry bread right when I do it. Close, but never right. Good thing is I have some friends that do get it right and they hook me up. I live real close to the Rez and we have a lot of Navajo near by. For about 10 years, I worked all over the Reservation. I’m sure I saw more of the Rez than most Navajo. I would stop and buy the fry bread when they were selling it on the side of the road in unusual places all over the Rez.

The best Navajo taco I had was at Gouldings Lodge in Monument Valley. We were near there for a few days once and everyday we went to the restaurant for breakfast and dinner. It’s a must if you’re ever in the area.

Have you tried the double deerskin soft soles?
Expensive but great.
I wear my elk ones as casual footwear every day. The only other shoes I own are cowboy or hunting boots.

I'm trying to recall, but I think I paid about $75 for the last pair. They last me a long time. When they get too ratty looking, I reserve them for the workshop/yard/office & switch to a newer pair to wear with my PJs when I shop at Walmart. ;)

I can’t get the fry bread right when I do it. Close, but never right. Good thing is I have some friends that do get it right and they hook me up. I live real close to the Rez and we have a lot of Navajo near by. For about 10 years, I worked all over the Reservation. I’m sure I saw more of the Rez than most Navajo. I would stop and buy the fry bread when they were selling it on the side of the road in unusual places all over the Rez.

The best Navajo taco I had was at Gouldings Lodge in Monument Valley. We were near there for a few days once and everyday we went to the restaurant for breakfast and dinner. It’s a must if you’re ever in the area.
Mine wasn't perfect but decent enough for the taco.

I agree whole heartedly. Goulding are about the best you can find, in my most humble opinion. The Navajo waiters and waitresses that work there are some of them nicest people you will ever meet.

The view from the restaurant, while you’re eating is spectacular. The Goulding Lodge has much better food, I think, than the Lodge over looking Monument Valley. The view of the Valley is better at the Monument Valley Lodge however.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom