Non-Resident Survey

desperatehills

Very Active Member
Now that the results are becoming available, many of us are curious how the new rules affected the draw. I think if we post historic info about the hunts we applied for with this years result we may be able to see the effects of the new rules.

I applied for 5B south archery with 10 points. Last year this tag took 9 points to draw. So for me I was not affected by the new rules.

I did put a early rifle hunt down as my first choice which I didn't get and was not expected to.

Post how you did in the draw, good or bad. I will be curious what the ratio of happily surprised to hugely disappointed results are. This is very unscientific and we wont know the true affects until the point info is released.

First off, other than a couple spikes, there are no bulls left in 5BS. Since I own property there we was forced to apply there. My son in law applied with 8 points, 5BS first and 5A second choice. I applied the same way hoping that the reduction to 5% NR in the first pass would allow some tags to trickle down to the point holder just below what the minimum was last year. 5A took 8 points last year so my SIL should have draw a tag. None of us including my daughter with 7 points drew elk or antelope.
It used to be that 5BS and 5A were easier to draw but now everyone thinks that they are a premium unit. They are not. Too many tags especially cow tags. I have a resident friend that has draw a cow tag in these units 4 out of 5 years.Have fun on your hunt but be aware that there will be plenty of people. Some of the water holes have up to five blinds on them.

I am interested to see if many NR's drew after the bonus pass. I did not.
I had 7 going in, I put in for Unit 1 archery
I'm not disappointed as I did not expect to draw. In theory I had a slight chance, is my theory right?

OK, I'll respond to the unscientific survey.

Put in for a unit that last year took 17 non resident points to draw as my first choice and 8 points as my second choice. I had 7 points going into the draw.

Won the lottery and got the dream hunt of a lifetime that I never thought I would be able to do - UNIT 9 early archery here I come!

I drew an Antelope tag in unit 7 with 6 points. Not a true top tier unit, but I didn't think I would draw. It was my second choice.
I assume I drew in the random draw.
Bill

NR dew 10% in almost every early archery hunt, including the single nr tags in 23 N/S. If I remember correctly we were 1 tag short in three lower tier units. I'll post the numbers in a bit.

>Awesome, seems like the change to
>the draw worked exactly as
>it was suppose to.

That's what I was thinking. A few got tags in the random pool. I haven't heard any stories were someone had plenty of points by the old rules and didn't get a tag they were expecting.

>>Awesome, seems like the change to
>>the draw worked exactly as
>>it was suppose to.
>
>
>That's what I was thinking. A
>few got tags in the
>random pool. I haven't heard
>any stories were someone had
>plenty of points by the
>old rules and didn't get
>a tag they were expecting.
>

I did have one buddy that didn't draw 5BN with 10 pts.

Well from all indications, at least from what I've heard, that 55-5% definitely worked.

I've got a non-resident rifle antelope hunter in Unit 10 that drew with only 7 points.

Lady drew an archery antelope tag in Unit 10 with just a handful of points, and I got a non-resident from Ohio who drew an early multi unit hunt for 15A-15B and 18A with just 3 points.

Got a NR client who drew a late bull tag in the same multi unit with just an APPLICATION point!

So from what I hear, it worked!

Folks who would NEVER have had enough bonus points to draw a tag under the old system, were successful in this year's draw!

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

After studying the draw process in depth i stopped applying about 6-7 years ago after applying for about 6 years. Just wasnt a logical investment.

LAST EDITED ON May-23-16 AT 08:12PM (MST)[p]The best investment I made was taking Don Martin's NR Hunter Ed class for the permanent point. I have drawn 4 mule deer, 1 Coues deer, 3 late bull elk, and one antelope tag in 12 years.

Drew my second non res archery bull tag in 3 years. Yes the system worked for me this year but time will tell.

I think that it is a bit early to claim success. Everyone knew that there would be stories of folks drawing a premium tag with limited points. Statistically it had to happen. But in the long run, the state of Arizona hosed a ton of folks who have been faithfully putting in for years. I drew a tag this year but only because I knew that I would never catch the point creep in the unit I wanted to hunt so I burned my points and went with a mid-tier unit. Happy to have a tag. Sad/pissed that I'll never be able to hunt the unit I wanted.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom