Ramps and fried potatoes

WVHUNTER

Very Active Member
It's springtime in the hills and the wild ramps are up.

ramps 1.jpg

ramps 2.jpg

I had not heard of them either. I googled and would like to try them sometime. Did you go out find them yourself? Do they come up in the same spot every year?

You can go out dig them yourself but that would be about an hour drive from where I live so I just buy them from a guy beside the road from people selling out the back of their truck. They grow at a little higher elevation than where I live.

They do come back up in the same place every year.

I think they just mostly exist in the Appalachians. They grow in the timber not in open fields.

You can go out dig them yourself but that would be about an hour drive from where I live so I just buy them from a guy beside the road from people selling out the back of their truck. They grow at a little higher elevation than where I live.

They do come back up in the same place every year.

I think they just mostly exist in the Appalachians. They grow in the timber not in open fields.
I see where they also have limits on the number of plants you can harvest on public land. Crazy.

They stopped the ramp harvest in the National Park. But I have lived near that park my entire life and have never seen any ramps there.

They are limiting the harvest in the National Forest to two gallons at a time . But two gallons of ramps is a lot of ramps. I think two gallons is supposed to be about 180 plants. That skillet I cooked was about 30 plants.

If you ask people how they cook ramps you will get a hundred different answers. They steam them, fry, bake, raw, can them, freeze them, pickle them. So I don’t eat near as many as a lot of people.

The National Forest Is where most people dig them and I agree that 180 plant limit out of a million acres seems excessive.

Any commercial use of the National Forest requires a permit but I doubt if any of these “good old boys” that I buy from beside the road have a permit. But they don’t have a lot of ramps. Maybe a 48 quart cooler full or half full.

They stopped the ramp harvest in the National Park. But I have lived near that park my entire life and have never seen any ramps there.

They are limiting the harvest in the National Forest to two gallons at a time . But two gallons of ramps is a lot of ramps. I think two gallons is supposed to be about 180 plants. That skillet I cooked was about 30 plants.

If you ask people how they cook ramps you will get a hundred different answers. They steam them, fry, bake, raw, can them, freeze them, pickle them. So I don’t eat near as many as a lot of people.

The National Forest Is where most people dig them and I agree that 180 plant limit out of a million acres seems excessive.

Any commercial use of the National Forest requires a permit but I doubt if any of these “good old boys” that I buy from beside the road have a permit. But they don’t have a lot of ramps. Maybe a 48 quart cooler full or half full.
When I was a little shaver, my granddad always took me along on his weekend excursions in the springtime. He would drive his '48 bright green Desoto to the farm country in north 'Naw Joisey.'

He would fill the trunk with dandelions & some other greens. One he called 'luchia,' which grew in moist areas & looked like wild watercress, & the other looked like rhubarb, which he referred to as 'garduna.' The latter was covered with eggs & fried.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom