Savannah Safaris Namibia

L

littlejoe

I am highly considering a safari with Savannah Safaris in Namibia in 2013. Talked to the owner at SCI and several references and they seem like the real deal. Just wondering if anyone on here had been there. Thanks.

Please ask your question on AR also. Probably have a lot wider range of responders. I have seen good reports, but have no first hand knowledge.

What do you want to hunt? Every Namibian safari operator offers plains game, but if you want to hunt buffalo or elephant, a lot of the Namibian operators do not offer that. What are the primary species you wish to hunt? What is secondary?

No buff or elephant on this trip.

Kudu, Gemsbok, Hartebeest, Springbuck,etc.

That's pretty straightforward so shouldn't be that big of a problem. Blank is right that you'll get a better response from people who are on AR in regards to first hand references. One thing to check is how large their properties are. Most Namibian safari operators hunt on very large tracts, especially compared to some of the South African ranches, and fences are less of an issue for those who care about that aspect.

Depending on how long you plan on hunting, you might want to consider adding Hartmann Mtn. Zebra to you desired list if they have any on quota. Mountain Zebra are probably the least often taken sub-species, and in my opinion, the most beautiful of all zebras. They make for a unique and challenging hunt, one I very much want to do someday.

Yes, I forgot to include Mtn Zebra. I have (2) Hartmann's and need a Mtn now.

They have a very large chunk of land to hunt and fences are not an issue according to all the references. They said that flat tires are more annoying than anything else on the trip.

I've also spoken with Savannah at the shows, and didn't have any alarms go off. They gave straight forward answers to my questions. I haven't hunted with them, so am only going off of my direct interaction at a trade show - not the same as a direct reference. Get real reerences from them and talk to several people who actually hunted with them. You will be surprised what other hunters will tell you.

I would caution about relying too heavily on feedback from AR. That forum is heavily weighted toward positive reports only. The negative reports get flamed and generally kept off the radar. In addition, plains game hunts get far less play on that forum. There is great info available on that and other sites, but do your own due diligence.
Bill

I hunted with Savannah Safaris in 2000, Brian and Maggie Connock. They provide a first class operation. I was hunting plains game. Brian was a expert guide. His staff of trackers and skinners are second to none. The house staff will do your laundry every day and have your cleaned and ironed clothes laying on your bed when you return from your morning hunt. The food prepared by Maggie is fabulous. In a full week at the camp my entire bar tab was $150, that included a bottle of wine at every dinner. As far as trophies, my Red Hartebeast is "gold" SCI, my Kudu is "Silver" SCI, my Springbok is "Gold" SCI and my Gemsbok is "Bronze" SCI. I also took several Babboons, one at 625 yards.
If you would like more info, call me.....951-245-2798
Paul
"Nice Rack" Taxidermy

I just went to Savannah Safari's website and see that Brian and Maggie Connock have sold the business. In the photo's everything is still the same as when I was there in 2000, including "Abiliu" my tracker at the time and is now a PH! One eveing Abiliu and I were tracking a wounded Gemsbok that my partner had shot only to find were being hunted by a leopard. The only words of english Abiliu had spoken the entire week were "time we go now" when we realizied the leopard was within feet from us in the bush.
I do not know of the new owners but the pricing has not changed in 11 years.
Paul
"Nice Rack" taxidermy

NiceRack, thanks for the posts. I have met the new owner/operator face to face and he is a man of few words but knows what he is saying and doing. Talked to several references from the last three years and cannot find anything wrong with them other than the fact I cannot bring a cheetah home. Not there fault but just another gvt rule.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom