Post One Photo Per Day

IMG_45571_20211108_170516.jpg

I'm hiking up to Mistake Lake in the Wind River Titcomb Basin.
View attachment 117666
Been there. Snowed 6" first week of August. Caught some nice goldens. Ice was just coming off the lake. Seriously. The water was so clear you could see incredibly well down way deep. Those goldens are tough to catch. Small rooster tails in various colors. Pretty frustrating to see your lure coming in with 50 fish following (no sh!t) it! I noticed Fremont Peak in your pics. Is that Island Lake in the other pic? I can't remember the name of the other lake in your pics

Been there. Snowed 6" first week of August. Caught some nice goldens. Ice was just coming off the lake. Seriously. The water was so clear you could see incredibly well down way deep. Those goldens are tough to catch. Small rooster tails in various colors. Pretty frustrating to see your lure coming in with 50 fish following (no sh!t) it! I noticed Fremont Peak in your pics. Is that Island Lake in the other pic? I can't remember the name of the other lake in your pics
Yes it was Island Lake in the other pic. We hiked in to Seneca Lake first day. It was around 12 miles I think. I was tired with 50 lbs of gear carried. We made it to Island Lake 2nd day. Fish in Island weren't biting. Some people had counted on fish for meals and were out of food.
From there we fished the Upper Titcomb Basin .
The first night it froze so hard I had frost caked on my tent. No mosquitos after that.
In all I only caught 3 or 4 fish, but I brought plenty of food so I enjoyed my stay. Too many people there and the Lesbians 100 yards uphill from my tent were carrying on at night like a couple on their honeymoon. Very loud lovemaking. It was different .?

A Bighorn Crags pic from a few years ago. They call this spot the Beaver Slide. Horses would slip and go down to the bottom to meet their death maybe a couple times every year, at that spot in the northern portion of the Crags. The Beaver Slide isn't as treacherous as it used to be, I'm told, but still has it's spots.
My Uncle had the luck of getting a couple Sheep hunts in that magnificent hunting area over 50 years ago, and filled his tag on one of those two Sheep trips.
My Dad was still alive when I came home from the trip, and I wish I had took more pictures, so my Dad could have smiled a few more times that day. He was in serious pain for years before he passed away, so seeing him diverted from a grueling existence was a great feeling.
But back to this trip- we would hike for a half hour or more, then stop and fish for a while at one lake, catch a few , and then hike to the next lake, enjoy the view, and cast the lines to catch more feisty and fat Rainbows , At one lake we caught a few pretty Goldens.
My wonderful wife really enjoyed that trip, and says those 5 days went by much too quickly.
The weather was perfect, except for a couple hours the second day, when the cold wind blew down from above. We retreated inside the tent, and covered up in the double sleeping bag we bought for the trip. We warmed up quickly, and were thankful for having such a good down bag.
We watched Sheep high above our camp at Birdbill Lake, while we ate meals a couple evenings.
We caught and released more trout on one of those days than I have ever done before, or have done since. Weather, a magical spot we found , and the Fish Gods were blessing us on the third day when we reeled in fish after fish.
We didn't see any Elk, and only a few Deer during that trip, but the Sheep navigating the steep slopes of Fishfin Ridge will always be etched in my memory. I feel just as blessed by watching them from our camp chairs as I think drawing a Sheep tag, and scoring a nice Ram would be. I'm sure those of you who have drawn and filled a tag would disagree, but from my perspective, it isn’t always about taking some meat, or hanging a mount on the wall, it's just being there.
My wife is behind the pack horse carrying our gear, and the outfitter is in the lead at one of the switchbacks.
20190815_112600.jpg

After the harsh winter of '16-'17, I found this young buck the following winter. I saw him for another 2-3 years. I always knew it was him because of his right ear being stubbed off (among other traits). A year or two later, I just called him Short-ear. I think one year he may have flirted with 190 except for a broken left G4. He has nice mass and eyeguards.

008 copy.jpg

010 copy.jpg

020 copy.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom